collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I'm not jealous but I'm superstitious, but most working men's that way - Willie 61 Blackwell - Four O'Clock Blues

Author Topic: Glory of Love - Big Bill Broonzy  (Read 3932 times)

Offline TX_Songster

• From Fort Worth, hometown of The Black Ace
Glory of Love - Big Bill Broonzy
« on: September 02, 2009, 03:29:34 PM »
Does anyone know the origins of this song, and when it was first recorded?  Is it a Broonzy original?  It seems very different from his other recordings, and the melody seems very modern.  I haven't found much through internet searches, and a search on this forum yeilded only some discussion on the song (and an excellent Backporch recording), but no history.

It's a beautiful song!  Any info is appreciated.

Joel

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
Re: Glory of Love - Big Bill Broonzy
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 03:34:20 PM »
Billy Hill(Songwriter)

Joseph Spence recorded a nice version as well.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 03:42:52 PM by Slack »

Offline Kokomo O

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 09:55:12 PM »
In teaching it on one of his videos, Stefan Grossman says it's an old pop song. I think he says his parents used to dance to it. But I too have long wondered about getting a more definitive answer to your question.

The fact that there's that execrable Peter Cetera song from the '80s of the same title, and several unrelated songs with variants of the words in their titles, makes searching really difficult. I did find this doo-wop compilation album with the same song done in that style, http://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Doo-Wop-Vol-6/dp/samples/B000ZB2VH4/ref=dp_tracks_all_1#disc_1, and it does sound like something that could have originated as doo-wop. And here's Otis Redding doing it, http://www.amazon.com/Dock-Bay-Otis-Redding/dp/B000JLSVLK/ref=sr_1_37?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1251952597&sr=1-37. I've also found it done by Floyd Dixon, Mel Torme and Lou Donaldson, to cite a few disparate styles. Then I came across a couple of versions by Bennie Goodman, including a great big band one that I couldn't date definitively but sounded like late '30s or early '40s, which is the right time frame and a logical source from which Big Bill could have picked it up. That led to a search that turned up this, http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080502132528AAPDi29, which I think answers the question.

Off to play the tune.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 02:15:23 AM »
Sorry to be a little late on this, but if a similar question ever comes up again, check the ASCAP and BMI databases.  It took less than a minute at ascap.com to find that the author was William J. Hill.

Offline TX_Songster

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 06:15:35 AM »
Thanks all for the info.  I've never used the ACAP and BMI databases.  I'll check those out.  I also had found the Paul Cetera version through an Amazon search, and that threw me off. 

Kokomo, does the Grossman version use an alternating bass or a 'dead thumb' bass line?  I've got an arrangement by Eric Lugosch that uses an alternating thumb, but the Broonzy recording uses the dead thumb bass.  Broonzy also throws a few more little runs in there.  This weekend I plan on putting together my own arrangement based more on Broonzy's recording.  I haven't done much of this, but I've got a big headstart with Lugusch's arrangement.

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 02:38:54 PM »
That's a great way to start getting into transcribing, Joel, finding a song that you really want to learn that you maybe have partial tablature, or modified tablature for. Gets you started and gives you a chance to work out parts for yourself, and even hear things that are different from the transcription you have.

If you have great ears and can work with the recording at speed, that's great. If you feel like slowing it down a bit will be a real help, many here prefer Transcribe! from http://www.seventhstring.com/index.html, mostly for its great GUI and sound quality at slower speeds. But there are other softwares that are workable, too. Good luck with it.

Wax
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline Kokomo O

• Howdy!
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 05:36:39 PM »
Joel, Stefan's arrangement has sections of monotonic bass and and sections of alternating, which is a really nice touch.

I have two Big Bill versions, one from the Big Bill Broonzy Sings Folk Songs CD, the other on Blues Legends in London (which also has Sonny Terry, Brownie McGee and Josh White). The first is longer, and I think is the version that was used in a couple of movies that were out at the same time a few years ago. They're pretty similar, though.

You should also check out versions by Joseph Spence and Tom Ball & Kenny Sultan, for fingerpicked guitars (and, in the case of Spence, guttural mumbled nonsense singing). The Sultan version has some really cool contrapuntal moving bass stuff when it's not alternating.

I've also got a Basie version with two solos by the Count, a trumpet solo that I can't identify, and a tenor solo that I think is Herschel Evans. That's on the Complete Decca Recordings, which is an absolute essential for anyone who likes jazz, both for the big band stuff and, even more importantly, for the hornless quartet recordings and the small band stuff with Lester Young.

Kind of an amazingly well travelled tune.

Offline TX_Songster

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 10:34:29 AM »
Kokomo, I've got the "Sings Folk Songs" version.  I'll definately check out the other versions you mentioned.  You're right, this does seem to be a very well traveled tune.  It's funny how some songs, like "Sitting on Top of the World" or "Trouble in Mind" get legs and are covered by a lot of diverse performers.

Waxwing, thanks for the tips.  I'll check out Transcribe!  Maybe they have a demo I could try out.  I've leaned on tab for so long it will be a tough habit to break, but it's about time I start transcribing more myself.

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 02:48:51 PM »
Another great version of the song can be found on the "An Evening With Big Bill Broonzy" -LP on the Danish Storyville label, recorded live at the legendary but now sadly closed jazz joint, "Club Montmartre", in Copenhague, in 1956. This used to be a single LP, but now appears to be a set of two CD:s with some previously unpublished takes. "Glory Of Love" is on the CD #2.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:gnfexqqhld0e

Cheers

Pan

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 03:43:58 PM »
Big Bill's version of this song is one of my all time faves. It was probably one of the first Blues style songs I heard. I've been playin' it for years, in fact it may have been one of the reasons I wanted to play guitar in the first place. I'll try to record a version to post if time permits. BBB's treatment of pop tunes (I get the Blues when it rains is another) are a total hoot. Some magical synergistic thing happens when he covers this kind of material, goes in boring comes out swingin' and hilarious. I have a section of my i-pod loaded with his swingin' pieces in C that absolutely bounces me down the street. People stare..I don't care. ;D
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline TX_Songster

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 04:16:45 PM »
People stare, but I don't care
bouncin' down the street to a Broonzy beat...

I think you've got the beginnings of a song here ;)

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 04:54:28 PM »
Big Bill's version of this song is one of my all time faves. It was probably one of the first Blues style songs I heard. I've been playin' it for years, in fact it may have been one of the reasons I wanted to play guitar in the first place. I'll try to record a version to post if time permits. BBB's treatment of pop tunes (I get the Blues when it rains is another) are a total hoot. Some magical synergistic thing happens when he covers this kind of material, goes in boring comes out swingin' and hilarious. I have a section of my i-pod loaded with his swingin' pieces in C that absolutely bounces me down the street. People stare..I don't care. ;D

Ah! I so completely agree! I've sought out for earlier versions of these two old pop songs, only to find that the magic is indeed in BBB's very personal arrangements. He was such a great artists, not only in singing the tunes, but also in creating very personal arrangements with fantastic chord melody instrumental breaks as well.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 05:57:47 PM »
There's a nice instrumental version on this set (Disk 1, Track 14) that can be downloaded separately:

http://www.amazon.com/Amsterdam-Live-Concerts-1953-Broonzy/dp/B000FVRRAA/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1252111730&sr=1-20

The set is a little pricey, but it contains photos and text not found elsewhere. And as it was recorded live, Big Bill's personality really shines through.

Offline modgar

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2009, 11:04:27 AM »
Joel,

I have a tab for if you want to contact me.

Gary

Offline TX_Songster

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2009, 03:00:22 PM »
Modgar,
Just sent you a message.

Mr. O'Muck,
Sorry for the dumb joke previously.  I hope you can find the time to record the song and post it on the Backporch.  I look forward to hearing it!

All,
Thanks for the feedback!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal