collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Well as a man he was a good natured fellow to meet, very kind. Well thought of and everybody liked him, wouldn't do nobody no harm at all. He do like most blind men do when they have a family or wife, do all they can to take care of them - Rev. Gary Davis describes Blind Boy Fuller, in Oh, What A Beautiful City

Author Topic: Blind Boy Fuller #2  (Read 2290 times)

Offline dave stott

• Howdy!
Blind Boy Fuller #2
« on: August 08, 2005, 04:21:45 PM »
Does anyone know how Brownie Mcghee got the nickname, Blind Boy Fuller #2?

was it just a record industry gimmick?

Also wondering how many records did Brownie record under the name of Blind Boy Fuller #2??

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
Re: Blind Boy Fuller #2
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005, 04:23:41 PM »
Hey:

As I recall, Brownie was recruted by BB Fuller's manager to be BB Fuller #2, after Fuller's death. Strictly marketting.

Alex

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 04:58:31 PM »
Strictly speaking, Brownie McGhee was "recruited" by Fuller's manager, James Baxter (J.B.) Long before Fuller's death.  But it was less than a year before Fuller's death and Fuller was showing signs of the kidney, bladder, and syphilis problems that eventually killed him.  Long was certainly on the lookout for a replacement for Fuller, and chose McGhee for the role.  The records from McGhee's first session were issued under his own name, but those made for Okeh after Fuller's death were issued as by Blind Boy Fuller #2.  The sessions took place on May 22nd/23rd and October 22/23rd 1941 (Fuller had died on February 13th, 1941).  15 sides on 8 records were released as by Blind Boy Fuller #2 (the 16th side was by Blind Boy Fuller).  Long gave McGhee Fuller's guitar after Fuller died.

It's interesting to note that on May 23rd 1941, Brownie, Jordan Webb (vocal, harmonica) and Robert Young (washboard) recorded 4 songs as by Brother George and his Sanctified Singers, a title first used by a group of Fuller's accompanists (Bull City Red, Sonny Terry, and Sonny Jones) and later on two sessions by Fuller himself (with Red and Sonny).

Details from Bruce Bastin's Red River Blues and Dixon, Goodrich, and Rye's Blues and Gospel Records 1890 - 1943.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 03:58:59 AM by dj »

Offline dave stott

• Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 06:24:24 AM »
thanks for the information on how Brownie Mcghee got the nickname

I just picked up Brownie's Robbie Dobbie Blues 78 RPM record..

Supposedly it is a tribute for Jackie Robinson & Larry Doby, the 1st 2 black baseball players.

It will go nicely with my other baseball 78 RPM's.... Like Joltin Joe Dimaggio....

Offline dave stott

• Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 09:12:39 AM »
Has anyone seen a listing of the recordings that Brownie Mcghee did under the name of Blind Boy Fuller #2??

I have heard that after the death of Blind Boy Fuller, Brownie was forced to record under the name of Blind Boy Fuller #2...

I am curious as to exactly how many of these recordings were actually issued.

Thanks

Dave

slgis

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 09:55:12 AM »
Cheapfeet is right.  The double CD has these tracks.  It also has a great song called, "The Death of Blind Boy Fuller". 

Offline dave stott

• Howdy!
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 04:56:38 AM »
WOW...I did not realize that there was that many songs issued under the name of Blind Boy Fuller #2.

I have 4-5 of the 78 RPM records with the Blind Boy Fuller name on them and thought I might have had them all.... I guess not....

thanks guys...

Dave

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal