collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I heard them bring that old Iron Curtain down on me - Sleepy John Estes visits eastern Europe, The Voice of the Blues

Author Topic: Not a Review....a Preview, I Guess  (Read 7132 times)

Offline bnemerov

Not a Review....a Preview, I Guess
« on: June 10, 2005, 07:35:16 AM »
For literary Weenies, a look at: vanderbiltuniversitypress.com and a click on "Lost Delta Found" "more information" will take you to a  whole page about the book. Clicking on "special features" will let you actually read  substantial parts of the book. This is the book about the Lomax/Fisk Univ. Delta fieldwork in 1941-42.

bruce nemerov
(who would be concerned about giving away so much for free except he's given his royalties to Fisk)

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: Not a Review....a Preview, I Guess
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 10:38:09 AM »
Bruce, the many online free bits are very tantalizing. The book looks like it deserves a place on country blues fiend bookshelves for sure. I'm glad the numerous song transcriptions are included. I'm keen to see a "non-virtual" copy and have added it to my list!

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2005, 03:42:50 PM »
Bruce:

It looks fascinating. As someone who works with historical materials, I'm always interested in learning more about what really happened and why.

Stu

Offline bnemerov

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2005, 03:23:44 PM »
Hey gang; FYI, the book is out.

Came back from the printers in a timely manner and I think Vanderbilt Univ. Press is fulfilling pre-orders now, despite the announced August pub date.
I'm quite happy with the way it looks and how well the transcriptions reproduced--the originals were pretty ragged out. But photoshop is a wonderous thing.
Two reviews already: Publisher's Weekly and No Depression. Kind of runs the gamut, I guess; they both were favorable.

bruce nemerov

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2005, 09:54:44 PM »
Congrats Bruce -- looks like a very interesting book.

FYI, I found while trying to order it through Vanderbuilts Shopping Cart that the shipping cart does not work with Firefox (but did with IE).  I'd hate to see you ahve any impediments to books sales.

Cheers,
slack

Offline bnemerov

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2005, 05:11:52 PM »
Slack,
Thanks for the heads-up. I'll tell Vanderbilt. maybe it's an easy fix.

Best to You,
bruce

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2005, 07:05:26 AM »
A little press spin-off for the book. An article entitled The day Muddy Waters heard himself sing the blues.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/chi-0508190078aug19,0,1054044.story?coll=chi-leisure-hed

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2005, 12:39:31 AM »
Going by the review that book a your'n looks like a goldmine for the quote generator, killer stuff I'd not seen before. Can we place some in the quotes database that randomly hits the top of the page? Fair use, scholarly purposes, attribution and sources given etc

Offline bnemerov

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2005, 07:01:13 PM »
Rivers--
I'd be honored if you wanted to pull some quotes from Lost Delta Found.
I'm particularly fond of Professor Work's comments about the "genuine skill and imagination" shown by the better blues guitarists. (pg.8) Also his comments (middle of pg. 88) about Son House being able to sing a tonic figure against a dominant chord with "agreeable results". Agreeable indeed--one of the defining elements of Son's style. Prof. Work was very hip.
BTW: just returned from a tour of Mississippi. Played some of the tunes from the book on Thacker Mountain Radio Show. It will air this Sat, the 27th (they said) and it's streamed on the net. Jim Dickinson leads a very eccentric house band. might be of interest to some.
best,
bruce nemerov

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2005, 08:53:43 AM »
Bruce--

Congratulations, a generally favorable review from the New York Times today, although the reviewer decided to focus on what I gather is a small slice of the book--Alan Lomax's lack of willingness to share credit with some of the people he worked with.

Here's the link, probably good for 7 to 10 days:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/29/books/29loma.html

Lindy

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2005, 02:53:18 PM »
Outfidel,

It is not necessary to copy the article into a post when it is available as a link - especially since they are charging to "reprint" this copyrighted piece.

Thanks,
Slack

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2005, 02:57:52 PM »
Actually, JohnD, I merged Outfidel's thread into this one to put it in better context. I guessed Michael hadn't seen this thread when he posted the article to start his own thread on the Main Board.

Sorry for the confusion, all.

All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2005, 07:50:04 PM »
Hi JohnC,

No problem, but just so there is no confusion - the main reason I deleted Michael's post was not that it duplicated exisitng content (in the form of a link) - but that the article is copyrighted and they want money for any duplication of the article.  Posting a link to the article is one thing, posting the article itself into WC content is another.  We need to be careful about copyrighted stuff.

Thanks,
JohnD

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2005, 08:00:13 PM »
Some third party sites--libraries, etc., with an electronic subscription to the NY Times seem to keep the articles in their textbases forever--and they can be copied and/or downloaded long after the NY Times site lists it as a "for fee" download. A search should yield some results. That way we keep WC on this side of the law--at least with respect to NY Times articles.

Offline outfidel

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2005, 03:54:04 AM »
Slack,

I copied-and-pasted for ease-of-reading for Weenies -- sometimes the NY Times makes you verify User ID etc. before you can read the linked article. I didn't realize that they were charging for use of their content in online sites like this -- have they never heard of "viral marketing"??

Thanks,
Out

p.s. I haven't yet read Lomax's book, but now I'm tempted to read Land Where Blues Began in conjunction with Lost Delta Found.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 06:14:42 AM by outfidel »
Support musicians in need - join the Music Maker Relief Foundation

Tags: John Work books Review 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal