collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
She had this [barbecue pit] piled up full of hickory. She comes out with this two gallon can of gasoline & she up-ends this thing over the hickory... As she walks away from the pit she takes a kitchen match, strikes it on her butt, throws it over her shoulder, causes an explosion 30 feet into the air. Then she walked by and said: 'Be ready'n about an hour...' - Steve James, Port Townsend 97

Author Topic: Brand and product names in country blues  (Read 44544 times)

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
Re: Brand and product names in country blues
« Reply #150 on: April 07, 2008, 04:03:19 PM »
I can't believe we missed this, but a search doesn't find it...

Candy:  Baby Ruth, Milky Way

Bo Carter, "Baby Ruth"

"Now some people like all-day suckers, some like a Milky Way,
But if you don't get a Baby Ruth, you can take 'em all away"

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #151 on: April 07, 2008, 04:37:13 PM »
We did missed it, and thanks you very much.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #152 on: April 08, 2008, 09:27:20 PM »
Frank Hutchison, K.C. Blues, Alright boys, this is Frank Hutchison settin' back in the Union Square Hotel, and just tuh' gettin' right on good red liquor. Alright Frank, step on it....

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #153 on: April 09, 2008, 06:11:36 AM »
Automobiles:  Ford Model A

Bill Gaither, "Old Model A Blues" (1938):  "It will cost you some money if you want this Model A to go".

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #154 on: April 09, 2008, 07:35:56 AM »
Stores, grocery:  Hill's Grocery Company

Walter Roland, Sonny Scott, Lucille Bogan, "Red Cross Blues", 1933:  "I cannot go to Hill's, I got to go to the Red Cross store".

Roland, Scott, and Bogan all did solo versions of the song at this session.  The exact lyric of the refrain changes from verse to verse and from lyric to lyric.

Hill's Grocery Company was a small chain of supermarkets - 35 stores when they were bought out by Winn-Dixie in 1962 - around Birmingham Alabama, the hometown of Roland, Scott, and Bogan at the time.  There's a picture of a Hill's grocery here 

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #155 on: April 09, 2008, 08:07:30 AM »
Stores, grocery:  Piggly Wiggly

Charlie "Specks" Mcfadden, "Groceries On The Shelf", 1929:  "My name is Piggly Wiggly, I've got groceries on my shelf".

McFadden recorded this song a number of times.  See "Groceries On My Shelf No. 2", "Piggly Wiggly Blues", and "Groceries On the Shelf (Piggly Wiggly)"

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #156 on: April 09, 2008, 10:01:03 AM »
Beverages, non-alcohol:  Maxwell House Coffee

On Lulu Scott's "Baby I Can Holler" (1938), Scott is singing about a bow legged woman who lived behind the jail and had a sign that said "Good stuff for sale".  Monkey Joe Coleman, accompanying  Scott on piano, says in response "I bet you that woman had some good stuff.  Just like Maxwell House coffee.  Yeah!" 
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 03:51:45 AM by dj »

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #157 on: April 09, 2008, 04:38:34 PM »
Great stuff dj, just when I thought we were running out. Can't think how we missed Piggly Wiggly. Didn't Lucille Bogan record "Groceries..." as well?

Now you mention it Fred McDowell has another Red Cross Stores reference.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #158 on: April 09, 2008, 04:58:34 PM »
Yep, Lucille Bogan recorded Groceries On The Shelf on July 19 1933 with Walter Roland on piano.  One of my favorite sessions.  Can't think how I missed that!

Does McDowell's "Red Cross Store" mention Hill's?  I don't think so.  Do the Red Cross relief stores count as products/brands/services? 

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #159 on: April 09, 2008, 06:26:16 PM »
Good question... was it run as a commercial concern, would be the question I guess.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #160 on: April 10, 2008, 12:06:40 AM »
Hi all,
I got the idea somewhere, a long time ago, that the Red Cross Stores sung of by Leadbelly, Fred McDowell and other singers were Army induction centers run by the Selective Service System; hence an unwillingness to go down to the Red Cross Store.  I heard this so long ago that I can't remember the source and I'm sure I did not check it out at the time, since I was a kid.  Does anyone actually know the answer to this question?
All best,
Johnm   

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #161 on: April 10, 2008, 02:40:49 AM »
I'm not that familiar with either McDowell's or Leadbelly's versions of "Red Cross Store".  But the song that Walter Roland and Sonny Scott sang was clearly about a Depression-era relief effort.  The lyrics speak of getting cans of beans and tripe and sacks of flour, and about how when the singer (or his girlfriend) is working again, they can go to Hill's Grocery rather than to the Red Cross for food.  I get the impression from the lyrics that "Store" is used more in the sense of "storehouse" or "distribution point" than of "a place to purchase goods", as Roland sings that if you don't get to the Red Cross Store early, there won't be any food left: "Say you know they give you something to eat at the Red Cross you have to go get it 'fore eleven".   

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #162 on: April 10, 2008, 05:30:43 AM »
They definitely are a service, albeit not-for-profit, and are part of the backdrop and consciousness of the times. So I think we should include the Red Cross Stores.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #163 on: April 15, 2008, 05:47:15 AM »
Automobiles:  Rolls Royce

Virginia Liston, "Rolls Royce Papa", 1926:  "Rolls Royce Papa, this Tin Lizzie Mama is going to tow you in"

This title and lyric has been staring at me all month from the lower right hand corner of this year's Classic Blues Artwork calendar, and I finally took notice.  The song is on the Red Hot Jazz archive, if anyone is interested. 

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #164 on: April 15, 2008, 04:37:07 PM »
Very cool. We finally got a Roller. There's an unsolved placeholder for another 'Rolls Royal' (sic), we still need to nail the artist and song.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 04:38:52 PM by Rivers »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal