collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Hambone Willie Newbern wasn't as well thought of in the area as maybe he should have been... when Yank's mother heard he'd traded the pig for a mandolin she said 'Well, that's OK son, this winter, when we're all eating meat, you can eat that mandolin' - Yank Rachell, as told by Steve James, Port Townsend 97

Author Topic: Midnite Blues - Original Song  (Read 975 times)

bayrum78

Midnite Blues - Original Song
« on: March 10, 2012, 11:35:20 AM »
I've been wanting to try my hand at cross note tuning so i played around with it for a while and figured out a couple of chords. This is what came of it. I hope you like it!

« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 06:26:20 PM by bayrum78 »

Offline Gumbo

• So Papa climbed up on top of the house
Re: Midnite Blues - Original Song
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 03:03:44 PM »
Great first verse! As someone said in the songwriting discussion - "getting your attention straight off is half the battle" (I paraphrase). I've listened to this a couple of times and am enjoying that junior kimbrough meets roscoe holcombe vibe. very trancy. Sometimes i hang out for short and snappy and this track reaches past that craving and holds my attention. no mean feat for a song without a 'hook'.

PS i'd suggesting editing your tags
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 03:05:36 PM by Gumbo »

bayrum78

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 05:50:10 AM »
Thanks Gumbo- really glad you enjoyed it! That cross note tuning is heavy. I've been listening to Jack Owens (what a monster!) a lot and just love the mood of the tuning. My first verse ending didn't end with satisfied nor did a couple of the others but it's what kept coming out of my mouth even though I was looking directly at the words I had written down. Maybe some subconscious stuff going on.

Thanks for introducing me to Lottie. I like to record new songs while the creativity  spigot is still open which works great for the guitar even if the singing isn't fully formed. That's why I'm not pushing the vocals with as much air as usual.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 08:05:38 AM by bayrum78 »

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 07:26:36 AM »
I agree, I enjoy the trancy quality. I think the guitar part is very cool, lots of rhythmic tension in those long riffs. A little bit of a Robert Pete Williams quality to it as well. Look forward to hearing it evolve.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 04:48:39 PM »
PS i'd suggesting editing your tags

I did so. We'd settled on using 'cross note' as the tag for D/E minor.
Nate, check out the tag index if you're wondering what I'm talking about: http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?page=tagsindex

bayrum78

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 06:33:42 PM »
Done. It makes perfect sense but I had no idea there was a tag index.  Are we supposed to add the same topic tags for every reply as well?

Offline Gumbo

• So Papa climbed up on top of the house
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 08:02:13 PM »
Bayrum - i think each poster can contribute tags when they post but there's no need to add the same tags over and over. once is enough in each topic.
I'm glad to inadvertently introduce you to Lottie Kimbrough who has a wonderful voice, but Jnr Kimbrough is th mississippi hill blues man i referred to - a contemporary of RL Burnside

and fair is fair - here is Lottie ;-)

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 10:40:26 PM »
Nate, I like the way the signature lick answers itself an octave lower.  It's a nice amount of repetition and very memorable.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 06:43:50 PM »
Gumbo's correct, you only have to add the tag once, since the tag applies to the whole thread for perpetuity, or the end of the internets, whichever comes first.

When we first implemented tagging, which is a way cool add-on (despite its limitations) to the base software, several volunteers were railroaded into sitting around in a smoke-filled virtual room scratching their heads for a while, thinking about how we thought tagging might work on weenie. Basically, the consensus was that, unlike other implementations elsewhere, since we are all such a serious bunch, we would treat it like a book index, for want of a better analogy.

The outcome of that discussion ended up as some guidelines posted as a sticky on on the site announcements page. It probably needs an update in the light of the reality of elapsed practical experience but here it is: http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=3073.0

Probably the most helpful guideline, now we have a ton of tags in the system, is to check the tag index before tagging to see if there's an existing tag that fits. If there is use that exact same format. Then your tagged content will get indexed with all the other related topics.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 06:53:08 PM by Rivers »

bayrum78

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 11:43:57 PM »
Thanks Gumbo for the favorable comparison.  I like Jr Kimbrough and Lottie! His Done Got Old song is trance music for sure and his singing is plaintive and soulful. I was struck by the topic of the song which is a rather unusual one in the blues  but certainly could cause them. Use it while it still works was my take away.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 11:55:44 PM by bayrum78 »

bayrum78

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 12:03:23 AM »
Thanks John!  I'll take measured repetition over noodling any day of the week.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal