collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Make it lonesome now, 'cause I'm a hobo myself sometime - Bukka White, Special Streamline

Author Topic: New (New or Old) Guitars  (Read 58541 times)

Offline Jeff H

• Howdy!
Re: New (New or Old) Guitars
« Reply #105 on: October 17, 2006, 07:47:56 AM »
My latest acquisition fell on me.... 
a 1959  Guild M-20 , all original, virtually unplayed with a few tiny dingettes... no fret or fingerboard wear, no scratches or cracks.
All mahogany, Ghost Label ,Hoboken built, brazilian fingerboard and bridge...excellent fit and finish inside and out.
I reglued one brace and made a new (through) bone saddle and good to go
My cousin bought this new  and gifted it to me during a recent visit.

I have owned many guitars over the last 45 years.. and this is one of the best.. rivalling  if not surpassing my first guitar.. a 1939 MArtin 00-17 (stolen)

Sawtell is quite correct.. the instruments , vehicles and homes that I have enjoyed most were never pursued..always older and with character and a story..
and they "fit" well.

Jeff

rpg51

« Reply #106 on: November 11, 2006, 07:56:25 PM »
Got a funky little 1930 something 12 fret Kay Kraft coming my way next week.

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #107 on: November 11, 2006, 09:50:38 PM »
I bet what sold you was the MOT headstock.-G-

Very Cool. Is it Clifford Gibson or Buddy Moss (purportedly holding Curley Weaver's guitar) or both, that are pictured with this guitar?

I like that K-14 behind it, too, altho' it looks to have a narrower nut than the Kay Kraft.

Let us know how it sounds.

All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

rpg51

« Reply #108 on: January 16, 2007, 04:59:19 PM »
I just got a new to me 1920 something Gagliano (Stellaesque) Grand Concert - my idea of slide heaven.

Offline BlindSockeyeSalmon

• Sugar in the Gourd: Old-Time, All the Time
« Reply #109 on: June 14, 2007, 07:07:16 PM »
Well, this one is currently on its way to me, on approval. I hope I like it -- I'm going to have to sell a couple to afford it!

(It says KG-14 but that's more the styling -- the bracing is copied from a '34 L-00.)

John
http://sugarinthegourd.com
Old-Time, All the Time

Offline Marshcat

• Aloha!
« Reply #110 on: June 15, 2007, 12:43:29 PM »
Seems like a typical messed-with tricone...

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #111 on: June 16, 2007, 01:28:44 AM »
Seems like a typical messed-with tricone...

Marshcat - you provocative little devil,you!

I know what to look for - wonder who else will spot it.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #112 on: June 16, 2007, 01:37:26 AM »
Oh, I thought it was too obvious to be a quiz.

All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline Marshcat

• Aloha!
« Reply #113 on: June 16, 2007, 03:28:05 AM »
The real question, of course, is why did they do that ???

It is indeed otherwise an unremarkable (probably) 1928 PAT PEND Style 1, apart from the walnut veneer on the front and back of the headstock, which may or may not be original...

marccd

« Reply #114 on: June 21, 2007, 07:41:03 PM »
Just paid this one off:

Ted Thompson T2C (00)

Lovely woods, Shaker simplicity, barking voice.  Love it.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #115 on: June 21, 2007, 11:12:21 PM »
That's one nice looking piece. I have a TM1C (mahogany w/ western red cedar top). Ted has an eye (and ear) for detail.

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #116 on: July 04, 2007, 09:06:44 AM »
Howdy:

As BJ stated in the very first post in this thread, I was useless at work yesterday as I awaited delivery of my used (2004) Fraulini Francesca 6-string. Got a hold of it last night. Spruce top, oak back and sides. It's a big boy, roughly the size of a Gibson J-45, more than 4" deep. It has v.old strings on it, but sounds great anyway. Ladder-braced. I was so excited I didn't even measure the scale or nut width.

I'll play it for a few days and give you all an update.

Alex

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #117 on: July 04, 2007, 09:09:32 AM »
Well, this one is currently on its way to me, on approval. I hope I like it -- I'm going to have to sell a couple to afford it!

(It says KG-14 but that's more the styling -- the bracing is copied from a '34 L-00.)

John

BTW, how did the trial on this one turn out? Did you take it?

Alex

bighollowtwang

« Reply #118 on: July 28, 2007, 07:02:00 PM »
They say you can't get ridiculous deals on ebay anymore...well I was up late after watching a movie, absent-mindedly glanced at ebay before going to sleep and there was this listing for a "1930s Harmony Stella" with an opening bid of $25 and a Buy It Now price of $75...sure enough it wasn't no Harmony. The auction had been listed a grand total of 28 minutes when I grabbed it, sometimes it pays to be awake at 4am. I almost expected the guy to send me a message the next day saying there had been an error in his price and that he was voiding the auction, but no...the guitar arrived a few days ago and so far no one has succeeded in prying it out of my hands for more than a few minutes at a time.

To add some icing to the already unbearably sweet cake, the guitar is in really really nice shape, absolutely no cracks or repairs, low action, unwarped top, great loud sound. Even came with the original end-loading canvas gigbag (in great shape as well). There is absolutely no wear on the back of the neck, barely any fretwear, even the finish is mostly in great shape. The only minuses are the bits of wooden "rope" binding that fell out in a few spots (the rest seems solid) and the fact that someone had done a sloppy job gluing the neck back (left some glue blobs under the fingerboard and a little bit of finish had been "steamed" off around the heel) but at least it is solid and the angle is good. Hey, at $75 I am really not going to complain. In fact I should be doing some kind of victory dance.

Since there is no label inside the guitar and the "Stella" logo on the headstock is the only identifying feature, the seller probably looked up completed auctions on "Stella" guitars on ebay, found a pile of Harmony stuff from the 50s and 60s, and based his price on that.

If ya don't believe me...the auction number is 290140239364

I'm sorry, but it is very hard not to gloat right now haha!  >:D

Offline natterjack

« Reply #119 on: July 29, 2007, 05:54:30 AM »
Congratulations. I picked up the same guitar with a pin bridge recently, It had quite a bit of wear on it and was considerably more. Sounds and plays well. The exchange rate was definitely in my favour though.

My recent ebay bargain was an Schmidt "Lyra Brand" Auditorium 12 string for $2000. Fixed up by Todd Cambio.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 06:07:01 AM by natterjack »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal