collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Don't want no woman who wears a number nine. I wake up in the morning, can't tell her shoes from mine - Charlie Campbell, Going Away Blues

Author Topic: 2023 Port Townsend Acoustic Blues Workshop  (Read 1525 times)

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
2023 Port Townsend Acoustic Blues Workshop
« on: April 26, 2023, 12:40:48 PM »
Two interesting additions to this year's faculty: 89-year-old Bobby Rush, and luthier Todd Cambio.

Rush will teach one harmonica master class and do a mid-week concert in the blimp hangar.

Cambio will do an "instrument maintenance and repair" workshop.

Lindy

Offline jed

Re: 2023 Port Townsend Acoustic Blues Workshop
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2023, 08:06:27 PM »
And below is most of tonight's electronic welcome to participants:

Dear 2023 Port Townsend Acoustic Blues participants –

We are deeply honored and excited to host you next week, thank you in advance for joining us.

WORKSHOP Attached is a PDF of the workshop week booklet/schedule. I will have pocket sized hard copy printed out for you when you arrive. Most Artists on staff teach two classes a day Tuesday through Friday. There are also events and presentations Jontavious and I have put together according to his artistic vision. You’ll see these in the book: Blues Talks; Jayy Hopp’s Band Lab (guest artist led band lab); Back Porch Jams; Tuesday evening presentations, (public performance listings are on an additional PDF also attached). And 204 and the Schoolhouse will be open for jamming until midnight each night.

PERFORMANCES I’ve also attached a PDF of the public performance schedule. These are not in the booklet. Please wear your badge to get into these public events. Public performances are Wednesday evening; Friday Noon (this one's free to the public); Friday night Blues in the Clubs, Saturday afternoon McCurdy Pavilion; and Saturday night Blues in the Clubs. 

SPECIAL THINGS THIS YEAR…

LUTHIER SHOP Steve James was a beloved member of the Centrum Blues faculty alumni. Centrum Blues was founded in 1993 and Steve was on faculty in its second year, and again a total of sixteen times over its 29 years [Yes, that makes this PTCBW Year Thirrty]. Steve passed away in January. We are honoring him by hosting a luthier workshop, something he proposed doing himself this year. Two of Steve's apprentices, Mariah Roberson and Angelo Zito will support Luthier Todd Cambio who will teach a small repair and maintainence for string instruments workshop. Mariah and Angelo will be available in the shop during set drop-in hours.

CEREMONIAL Wednesday evening, AFTER Bobby Rush's Pavilion concert [Before scooting off to Finland or thereabouts], we will gather in Schoolhouse H (our Luthier shop) to share stories and celebrate Steve James and other beloveds who have passed on. Bobby’s concert will end around 10:00PM…ish. We may move out to the Commons patio for a fire if the bun ban is lifted.
ok then:  http://jed.net

Offline jed

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2023, 08:59:59 AM »
Weencamp 23, aka Weenies Unindicted 2023, has begun!

Speaking of indicted, the quote generator displayed this upon sign-on today - thought-provoking in these times and, in fact, anytime:

"SENTENCE BLIND MUSICIAN FOR ASSAULT - Columbia, S. C., July 17. - (A. N. P.): Simmie Dooley, blind musician, has been sentenced to serve two months in the State penitentiary having been found guilty of a charge of assault and battery. Dooley's chief instrument is a guitar which he plays so well that while being brought to jail he earned nearly ten dollars from people along the way - Norfolk Journal and Guide, July 19, 1924"

Offline jed

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2023, 09:01:10 AM »
Adult supervision not recommended

Offline jed

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2023, 09:02:44 AM »
A view from PT's Fort Worden rainforest

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2023, 11:49:56 AM »
Thanks for the report, Jed, looks like a bunch of familiar faces sitting 'round the table. I'll be stopping by Thursday-Saturday, looking forward to catching up.

Lindy

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal