collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
The cruel irony is that the majority of "The People" can't stand the noise that comes out for more than a few seconds unless it's in the hands of a competent operator. This, combined with the common belief that anyone can play it right away (cue up "Oh Susanna") has created a nearly unbearable tension between the harmonica, its enthusiasts and the rest of humanity. I believe that this tension can be relieved and that the harmonica can take its rightful honored place in the post-apocalyptic world to come - Mark Graham, harmonica ace

Author Topic: What are we listening to now?  (Read 9979 times)

Offline eric

Re: What are we listening to now?
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2022, 09:29:58 PM »
Most folks here are pretty serious about music, and I appreciate what they post on this topic. Just my two cents.
--
Eric

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2022, 09:12:13 AM »
Yeah, imagine stumbling onto something that you really like, but then saying to yourself, "This isn't Country Blues, so I shouldn't listen to this, never mind enjoy it." And then turning it off. A descent into madness, IMHO.

Offline eric

« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2022, 06:09:21 AM »
--
Eric

Offline Devils Son Inlaw

• Howdy!
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2022, 06:03:13 AM »
This CD this morning, Buddy Boy and William Harris.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2022, 08:34:07 PM »
Currently still working on improvisation. Electric initially but it bleeds back naturally into acoustic, as one does one's scales.and modes.

Presently hooked onto an early Freddy King jag, in particular absorbing his immaculate phrasing which is pretty much how I would like to be remembered on an electric guitar. What a  great player and singer he was. Go for the early recordings initially.

All the best players do their homework, practice scales and study theory in general. Very few of the multitude reading this live in the MS Delta, c.1928. If we want to express ourselves as artists we eventually have to move ourselves outwards.

I figure it's not that you're suddenly going to forget how to fingerpick country blues if you suddenly nail a good electric blues lead with a plectrum, or any other genre kind of lead break. That concern is not a concern, fingerpicking country blues is like riding a bicycle, once you've got it you never lose it.

That's where I'm at right now. I apologize, I is what I is.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 10:39:33 PM by Rivers »

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2022, 11:53:05 AM »
I is what I is.

cogito, ergo sum "I think, therefore I am" --René Descartes

“I Feel, Therefore I Am” --Antonio Damasio

"I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam" --Popeye

I follow Popeye

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2022, 04:52:50 PM »
Nice correlations there Stuart :)

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2022, 10:38:42 AM »
Hi all,
First two tunes are from the late Jazz pianist/composer/arranger, Clare Fischer. First "Inquietacao", in his re-harmonization then his own tune, "Morning":

Then from Furry Lewis, "Kassie Jones, Part 1":

All best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 12:37:52 PM by Johnm »

Offline David Kaatz

« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2022, 02:43:31 PM »
Man, I'm always listening to something. Yesterday, it was a lot of Joe Bussard's Fonotone records from Dust to Digital. Today, it's the Beat TV Show. If you aren't familiar, most if not all episodes are available on YouTube. There's a lot of lip sync-ing, but a lot of live performances as well. This episode features Freddie King and Joe Simon.

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2022, 04:35:30 AM »

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2022, 04:49:13 PM »
Listening to the new Super Deluxe release of Revolver - which may be my favorite Beatles album.  Slate did a nice job of putting the album in context.  I love listening to the outtakes, or alternate takes, or just goofing around takes.

https://slate.com/culture/2022/10/beatles-revolver-2022-super-deluxe-reissue-stax-motown.html

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2022, 05:40:42 PM »
Hi Slack,
I always loved that song, "For No One" on Revolver. And "She Said", if that one is on there.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2022, 05:57:43 PM »
Hi Slack:

Great record--part of the sound track of my high school years. A fool's paradise...

Like John, I like those two cuts--along with all the rest.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2022, 07:07:39 PM »
Johnm and Stuart,

Yes, high school sound track for many of us!  Yep Johnm it's on there - it is a great transitional album ... from old style performance songs to new style studio songs.  I'm just amazed by the creativity -- how an acoustic sketch of a song, morphs into something completely unexpected. 

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2022, 10:40:01 AM »
I really want to get that new "Revolver" – it has always amazed me, coming off of "Rubber Soul," that "Tomorrow Never Knows" was the first number recorded for that album!
Chris

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal