collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
"Meh-eh-eh-eh-eh-eh." "Man, take that goat outta here" - Jelly Roll Morton and His Red Hot Peppers, "Billy Goat Stomp"

Author Topic: Song of the Month, going forward  (Read 843 times)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Song of the Month, going forward
« on: December 22, 2020, 01:10:21 PM »
Hi all,
I realize we lost our steam for doing Songs of the Month in 2020, I think partially because we had already done so many songs in the previous years, but also because keeping the schedule up on a monthly basis came to feel like more trouble than it was worth.

I think it might be nice to re-instate the idea as "Song of When The Spirit Moves You". Harry just recently posted three different versions of "Cold Blooded Murder(er)" in the Country Blues Lyrics board--that seems like a natural choice for him. I did something similar with the song "East Virginia" several months ago. If you get excited about some song and different versions of it that you have found, why not start a thread on the song here--and it need not be labeled any more specifically than the title of the song. Just an idea . . . .
All best,
Johnm

Offline Old Man Ned

Re: Song of the Month, going forward
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2020, 03:20:07 PM »
I was thinking about Song of Month the other day. "Song of When The Spirit Moves You" sounds good.
all the best, Ned

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2020, 05:59:24 AM »
I started out looking for antecedents to Blind Boy Fuller's "Mama Let Me Lay It On You" a few weeks ago. That's turned into a long look at the "Can I Do It For You"/"Don't Tear My Clothes"/Let Me Lay It On You" tune family.  I was already thinking that the SOTM thread would be a good place to post what I end up with.

I'm currently looking for instances of the tune from before 1930.  If anyone knows of any, I'd appreciate it if you'd let me know. 

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2020, 06:21:46 AM »
Hi all,
Apropos of the idea of the Song of the Month switching to a sporadic posting, I am moving some of the older, big single-song threads from the Main Forum, where they tend to get lost, over here, where it is not so crowded. I already moved the thread on "East Virgina/East Virginia Blues" over here. EDITED TO ADD: I just moved "John Henry", "The Titanic", "Boll Weevil", "Stagolee", "Railroad Bill", "John Hardy" and "Poor Boy, Long Ways From Home" over here. If you've not read these threads before, you might give them a try. They have many fine versions of the various songs in them.
All best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 07:33:34 AM by Johnm »

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2020, 10:44:00 AM »
Great idea, and John, I just added those topics you moved to the top of the complete list, in alphabetical order.
Chris

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2020, 11:07:46 AM »
Thanks, Chris!

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2020, 05:24:17 AM »
Great idea indeed, "Song Of When The Spirit Moves You". Great title too as this happens to me occasionally.

Offline eric

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2020, 11:16:36 AM »
I looked at the SOTM FAQ and I'm wandering if posts other than pre-war blues are fair game.  Old-time country and gospel I would think would fit. Jazz tunes, old time popular? I'm not planning on posting any disco, just to be clear.
--
Eric

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2020, 11:44:35 AM »
Hi Eric,
My own take would be a preference for Blues, but Old-Time and Gospel, from the African-American and Old-Time traditions would be okay with me, too. We already have some songs in here like that--"John Hardy", "East Virginia", "When The Saints Go Marching In". Jazz and Pop or modern Country or singer/songwriter stuff would dilute things too much, from my point of view. Other thoughts, anybody?
all best,
Johnm

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2020, 12:47:07 PM »
I'm not planning on posting any disco, just to be clear.

Thank God.

I'm into rowdy Post-War Chicago Blues/Texas Blues/Electric Blues (Otis Rush/Elmore James/J.B Hutto/Paul Butterfield/Freddie King etc.).
But I stay away from Blues-Rock like a Zeppelin/Bonamassa/Popa Chubby/Walter Trout type of thing.
But if it's allowed (the Post-War stuff), would it be of interest of the crowd on this forum?

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2020, 02:25:22 PM »
I'm not planning on posting any disco, just to be clear.

Not so fast...

Offline eric

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2020, 04:10:38 PM »
Touché, Stuart.  Tony Joe was a great player.
--
Eric

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2020, 06:51:25 PM »
Agreed Johnm, it's the natural progression.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal