collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Folks call me Mister Cleanhead 'cause my head is bald on top. And every week I save a dollar when I walk by that barber shop - Eddie Cleanhead Vinson, Cleanhead Blues

Author Topic: "I Called Him Morgan"  (Read 1240 times)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
"I Called Him Morgan"
« on: July 07, 2018, 04:18:22 PM »
Hi all,
I watched a really interesting and well-done feature-length documentary yesterday, "I Called Him Morgan", about the Jazz trumpeter Lee Morgan and the events leading up to and after his death, when he was shot by his common-law wife, Helen, at a gig in New York City in 1972.  There are many interviews with musicians who played with Lee, and friends of both Helen and Lee, and Helen herself, as well as a surprising amount of performance footage of Lee playing in different ensembles.  He was a perfectly amazing trumpet player who was a featured soloist with Dizzy Gillespie's band at the age of 18!  It is a very sad story, but it is real, and it is so unusual to see something real that I thought I would mention it.  It is new to video, and I believe a newly released movie, too.  If you like Jazz of that period you shouldn't miss it, and if you're just interested in the story it is worth taking some trouble to see.  There are so many interesting and well-spoken interview subjects in it, too.
All best,
Johnm

Offline David Kaatz

Re: "I Called Him Morgan"
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 05:12:38 PM »
It is currently available on Netflix, at least in the US.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 05:19:06 PM »
And also in the holdings of the King County Library System and Seattle Public Library.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 10:04:09 PM »
My turn came up at the library and I just finished watching it. Two thumbs up--Highly recommended. Thanks for the tip, John!

Tags: Lee Morgan 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal