collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
He been dead so long he near about ready to come back - Furry Lewis addresses whether Jim Jackson was still alive in 1959, from Jeff Harris' sundayblues.org

Author Topic: Rev. Gary Davis article with Elijah Wald  (Read 877 times)

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Rev. Gary Davis article with Elijah Wald
« on: November 14, 2011, 08:45:46 PM »
http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_story/16398320/article-Davis-sings-more-than-just-the-blues?instance=main_article

An article to promote the concert tribute to RGD with Jorma Kaukonen, Stefan Grossman and Ernie Hawkins.

(I'd like to think that the RGD birthday celebration at Jalopy earlier this year may have planted the seed for this.)

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
Re: Rev. Gary Davis article with Elijah Wald
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 03:32:36 AM »
I wish my friend Ernie and Jorma, and Stephen whom I've met and Elijah who I've connected with via email the best of luck in spreading the word and furthering appreciation of this American musical Titan. The more tributes by his acolytes the better as far as I'm concerned.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 06:18:54 PM »
You should be on the bill, O'Muck. Like me, I theorize you just ain't had a desire to be a famous recordin' artist. Not that I've got anything against it but there are many of us who just don't care about broader public recognition, except when it's live and fairly spontaneous. Money does help.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 06:25:49 PM by Rivers »

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 06:43:01 PM »
Thanks Rivers. Actually I did have the desire to get paid for making and selling records once upon a time, came sort of close at one point too with my erstwhile duo The Hot Hokum Hilarity Boys ?. The other guitar player Mike Schwartz, was the person who, having already taken lessons from RGD, directed both Ernie Hawkins & Me to his doorstep, separately however, Ernie & I only met in person two years ago.
But then the prospect of locking myself in a room, painting pictures, and breathing turpentine fumes for thirty years got the better of me.
Due to economic necessity though, I am at the age of sixty (in a month and a half), staging a comeback! Talk about yer long, longshots!
Listen for me on a subway platform near you!  ;)
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 07:50:07 PM »
If I see you at the end of the platform or any other public venue I will prepare surreptitiously in my sweaty palm, as one does, a bill of suitable denomination, and a small bottle of the finest turpentine, ready to slip into your waiting hat.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 07:54:59 PM by Rivers »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal