collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Good God, why doesn't that man yodel and be done with it? - A woman in the audience commenting on Peetie Wheatstraw's signature "ooh, well well", recounted by Teddy Darby, quoted in Paul Garon's The Devil's Son-In-Law

Author Topic: Blind Blake Pristine remaster  (Read 1634 times)

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
Blind Blake Pristine remaster
« on: March 06, 2009, 06:48:06 AM »
Not listening, more advisng that PristineClassical have just brought out a BB cd.

The quality will be undoubtedly good but let's hope unlike the poor selection of tracks chosen for the TampaRed cd that he has chosen these on musical merit and not to show how wonderful his system is...  :-\
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline BlindSockeyeSalmon

• Sugar in the Gourd: Old-Time, All the Time
Re: Blind Blake
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 07:06:12 AM »
I look forward to hearing what people think. I liked his RJ stuff but haven't heard his other remasters.

Listening to the sample from "Diddie Wah Diddie" I realized it's "Diddie Wah Diddie No. 2" and then realize the other version isn't included -- strikes me as an odd choice. But I suspect he's working from the JSP set, and "Diddie Wah Diddie" sounds quite good on that set while No. 2 is pretty noisy.

At first listen it sounds a bit like some of those Sony/Columbia Roots N' Blues remasters where they got rid of 100% of the surface noise and about 20% of the music.

http://www.pristineclassical.com/LargeWorks/Jazz/PABL007.php
http://sugarinthegourd.com
Old-Time, All the Time

Offline Blue Poodle

• Kill it, Kid.
Re: Blind Blake Pristine remaster
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 11:14:05 PM »
I like the Pristine treatment on these tracks.  The reduction in noise is tremendous and I can hear the guitar much better on all the tracks. 

The only real issue that I have is with the selection of the tracks themselves, which I think is largely based on getting the best subjects for the Pristine process itself.

I would like to see them apply this process to some of the noisiest Paramount tracks, like those of Papa Charlie Jackson, or maybe some early Buddy Moss.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 11:21:02 PM by Dr. Insouciance »
All the world loves a lover, but a lover doesn't always love love.

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
Re: Blind Blake Pristine remaster
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 12:58:35 PM »
The only real issue that I have is with the selection of the tracks themselves, which I think is largely based on getting the best subjects for the Pristine process itself.

I couldn't agree more, the Tampa Red cd being a huge let down due to the selection of some pretty dire material - would you agree young Blueshome?

I don't suppose he could have gone far wrong with the RJ stuff since that also coincided with other media hype at the time.
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Tags: Blind Blake 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal