collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I really liked it, but I don't ever want to do it again. - Mississippi John Hurt, after a ride through Manhattan on the back of Patrick Sky's motorcycle, liner notes to Complete Studio Recordings

Author Topic: Statesboro Blues World Premier  (Read 1734 times)

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
    • vintagebluesguitars.com
Statesboro Blues World Premier
« on: December 29, 2005, 07:54:48 AM »
...ok, after much frustration, procrastination and intimidation, I've finally got a bit to post on the BP ... I've been playing Statesboro for about a year, learned mostly from Ernie's video, and have really been into playing my jumbo and lot's of BWM stuff, so I'll premier w/ this one ... recorded one take on Audacity with the cheesy mike that came w/ my old Gateway, converted to mp3 via CDex (this has been my journey the past few months), playing my Stella Jumbo tuned way low ... I'm mostly happy with it if only for the fact that I have something to show, in spite of some bumps in the take .. oh, and one last thing, my only audience for playing, and especially singing over the years, has been my wife, kids, cats and dog, and now the world ... enjoy
« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 11:06:01 AM by onewent »

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: Statesboro Blues World Premier
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 10:22:18 AM »
Nice job, onewent - a fine world premiere.  :D  You sound like you're real comfortable with the tune. Stole Rider Blues is a fun one as well, in the Statesboro model (or vice versa). Check it out if you haven't already. You'll already know most of the tune.

One tiny thing I mention only because it occurred to me while I was listening, which is in that descending bass run leading back to the I chord at the end of each verse, I think sometimes McTell slides into the 3rd fret on the 6th string. It gives it a looser sound I think. He may also give it a little bend on occasion, although I could be confusing that with my memory of other versions.

I'm playing a fair amount of McTell these days as well. Nothing ready to premiere on the Back Porch yet though.  :P
Thanks for posting!

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 10:28:57 AM »
Yeah, Great World Premier. I really like your vocal quality, too, Tom. And that Jumbo does sound nice. You seem very comfortable with it. Nice work. Let's hear more.

I started working on this song a while back and let go of it for other projects. Now I'm gonna have to get back to it after this inspiration.

BTW, I'll be east for most of January. Perhaps we can meet up at Ari's again?

All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 10:36:49 AM »
Nice stuff - and a great sounding guitar. I think you should premiere on a weekly basis from now on!
Prof S

Offline a2tom

• stickman's got 'em
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 12:47:14 PM »
When I mess around Statesboro and Stole Rider always come out all mixed up together.  However, neither ever sound this good!  I LOVE the sound on the guitar.  And you capture a great feel in the vocal too - I'd have liked a bit better volume balance between the two (probably just the recording) to hear it better.  I'm hearing you correctly, I must say I am quite touched by the Stickman reference!   8)  BTW, I usually play that 6th string 3rd fret with a bend for what its worth.

Keep 'em coming. 

tom

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
    • vintagebluesguitars.com
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 05:04:33 PM »
...thanks all, for the kind words and comments ... I couldn't play like that in front of 'people' to save my life, but, feel ok w/ mic ... the guitar, regardless of recording quality, always sounds great, tone-wise, but it's humbling to hear one's singing voice played back ... I did mess around with the 'effects' offered on Audacity, but, you know how that can go, so I just left the take plain vanilla...

re: the 'bend' on the turnaround, yeah, I learned it with that bend, but over the past few months, must have unlearned it? ::) ...I'll get back on it, plus, try the slide-in, may sound cool

Uncle Bud & Tom, yeah, Stole Rider fits right in here, funny, I hear Send Me an Angel when I play Searchin' the Desert, but haven't really A-B'd the two to see what's up there, and that 'blues came down like dark night showers of rain' has got to be one of the greatest lines in Bluesdom

Wax, I've become very comfortable playing the jumbo over the past year, much to the loss of my six-string work, in fact I end working through bits of my six-string repertoire on the 12 ... oh, and a day w/ Ari sounds great to me!? Do you want to get in touch w/ him and send me some dates? Arena Football season is starting up again, and I like to watch or listen to my nephew's games, but I'll definately carve some time to get together...

Tom ... re: the vocal/guitar mix ... that's something I'm going to work on down the road ... I recorded this sitting about two ft from the little plastic mic wannabe that came w/ my old Gateway, and just accepted what resulted ... I thought my voice sounded thin and distant, but than maybe that's just my voice? >:( ...
...the sound of the guitar, well, let's just say ol Stella thinks she's a sitar these days ... guess it's time to change the strings, they're over a year old now, so I may work up some of the suggested sets discussed here on the forum ... and the Stickman reference, man, I admired that little avatar from a distance since you created it because, of course, for the obvious guitar/blues vibe, but I'm a fan of 'less is more', and, during my basketball days in high school, my nickname was Sticker or Stick, because I could 'stick' the ball in the hoop and I'm tall and thin..so, that's my little way of recognizing your cool avatar...

Regards, Tom
« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 05:13:41 PM by onewent »

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal