collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
What if it's a pig's world and we just happen to live in it? - from The Pig's Bomb on the Discovery Channel

Author Topic: Rattlesnake Preacher  (Read 1427 times)

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
Rattlesnake Preacher
« on: November 25, 2005, 12:27:00 PM »
There's so much I want to say about this post- but I'll try not to ramble...

I've twigged why the overdubbed slide part on Hard time blues ( a previous post of mine) sounded rather ropey.  My soundcard was introducing latency to the process and whilst I was playing mostly in time, the recording of the slide part was consistently 'late'.  I had been worried it was my playing and am delighted to have figured this out!!

So I invested in a new toy- a little digital 4 track which is fantastic fun.  This track is my first effort with it- and a debut for my extremely meagre Ukelele and Double Bass playing skills as well as guitar...

Learning to transcribe is a wonderful thing.  Im no expert- but this time last year I did not believe I was capable of doing it at all.  Ive now got the confidence to try, and I was able to figure out one of my favourite tracks by Chris Smither which was very satisfying.  I reccomend anyone who thinks its beyond them, to sit down with something simple, use the slowdown facitlity on windows media player, and persevere.  When you finally get  there its great!

The song is called Rattlesnake Preacher and was originally by Eric Von Schmidt. Its of a change of pace and style from my usual posts but I just love the song.  To keep up the sound quality I've had to chop the last verse so it ends a bit abruptly unfortunately.  Im not sure how some of you manage to get 3-4 minute songs into a good sounding 800k MP3!- all mine seem to come out at just over a meg at best and any further reduction in size  means it starts to sound horribly tinny. 

Anyway this is it...

Offline a2tom

• stickman's got 'em
Re: Rattlesnake Preacher
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2005, 06:43:47 AM »
ah, yes, latency.  Glad you figured out the issue - I recall it was a bit "off" before, and this makes sense.  This dubbing seems spot on, at least I didn't notice it!

I really like the piece - nice rolling relaxed feel.  I especially like the ending! (there is no answer to the file size limit - 2.5 to 3 minutes is about all I can get into 800 kb).

This sounds like something from Rev. Gary Davis?  Can't get my brain on the song...

tom

PiedmontBlues

Re: Rattlesnake Preacher
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2005, 07:04:09 AM »
NS - I like your song. It sounds a little like RGD's Baby Let Me Lay It On You in some parts.

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal