collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
A lot of people say that the blues is just a feeling, but it's not; it's also a harmony system - Steve James, "Blues/Roots Guitar" instructional video

Author Topic: Mance Lipscomb's Guitar Style--Queries and Tips  (Read 20646 times)

Offline lampens

Re: Lipscomb instructional material
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2007, 10:09:10 AM »
The blues. The blues ain't nothin'. The blues ain't nothin' but a cold, grey day. And all night long, it stays that way.

Duke Ellington

Offline Blue in VT

• Howdy!
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2007, 06:53:13 AM »
Lucy,

Hi!!!  Great snag on the arhoolie book...If you'd be willing to make some photcopies or scans drop me a pm... ;)

The Ernie DVDs are great IMO he clearly moves through each song then plays them slowly on the split screen.  The TAB is very acurate to the splitscreen which is great...however he does cover some riffs or variations of riffs in the teaching segments that don't make it into the split screen and TAB so after you get a good handle on the TABed material it is a good idea to go back and watch the lesson again to pick up the variations.

I'm glad to see so many folks here getting into Mance's music...I can listen to him all day and his tunes are just a blast to play!

cheers,

Blue
Blue in VT

Offline Michael Kuehn

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2007, 01:20:32 PM »
Lucy,
Ernie's DVDs are top notch, well worth the money. I'm working through them myself now. You might consider getting them through Ernie's site, if you're interested.

Good luck.

Mike

Offline LusciousLucy

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2007, 04:50:44 AM »
Hey Bluesmike,

Thanks for the hint!

Kind regards,
Lucy

Offline lampens

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2007, 12:52:12 AM »
Just bought the EH lightning hopkins dvd. Great instructional video. Lightning btw is a great way to start out playing fingerstyle guitar imo.
The blues. The blues ain't nothin'. The blues ain't nothin' but a cold, grey day. And all night long, it stays that way.

Duke Ellington

Offline LusciousLucy

Re: Mance Lipscomb Instruction
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2010, 04:29:57 PM »
Hi VT,

I just popped into your Mancer-videos on Youtube. Very decent job, indeed!
I just realized I have to keep practicing, you make me jealous! ;-)

Greeting to Canada!

« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 04:31:12 PM by LusciousLucy »

Offline lampens

« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2010, 10:26:59 AM »
Here is one song from the ernie hawkins dvd. I have his Lightnin' hopkins dvd. I can recommend that one, and looking at this lesson I guess his dvd on Mance must be the same. This lesson started me off on learning independent thumb technique.
http://www.gibson.com/en%2Dus/Lifestyle/Lessons/InstrumentLessons/The%20Guitar%20of%20Mance%A0Lipscomb%A0V/

And Stefan Grossman has this little mance ditty on youtube.

Enjoy. 8)

Duke Ellington

Offline Bob B

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2010, 12:06:40 PM »
For DVD instruction of  two of Mance's songs taught in detail by John Miller check Texas Blues Guitar on Guitar Workshop Videos.  Included here are "Tell me where you stay last night" and "Rocks and Gravel".  John does an excellent job as usual.  Plus there are great tunes by other well known and some more obscure Texas bluesmen.

Bob

Offline Rambler

« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2010, 01:54:28 PM »
Have Ernie on Mance vol 1 and can recommend it both for the lessons and MLs performances (great dry singing sytle, btw). Note on the Miller set, there are no vocals, so you have to work a little harder to see how the parts dovetail. 

Offline LusciousLucy

« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2010, 02:12:03 PM »
Yes, I have learned a lot from the Ernie Hawkins Mance 1 - DVD as well.
But nothing goes over listening to the man himself.

I'm so upset, Last.Fm has just discontinued streaming his CDs - I just
had digged out my tape old recorder and bought a connection cable for the
computer to record some of those.

They are quite hard and expensive to get hold of in our neck of the woods.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 02:15:31 PM by LusciousLucy »

Offline Blue in VT

• Howdy!
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2010, 01:30:36 PM »
 :D ;D

Sorry I have been out of the loop for awhile around here...Some great pointers here.  I'm aware of Stefen doing Charlie James...but I have to say that something about his performance of that song just doesn't work for me...it just doesn't feel right...YMMV.  Also check out daddystovepipe who has several Mance tunes on his youtube list.

Cheers...keep that thumb pounding!

Blue
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 07:11:29 AM by Blue in VT »
Blue in VT

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2010, 02:22:28 PM »
Hello Manceheads. I have merged two separate topics on Mance Lipscomb instructional material that we had going.

And it seems we have got through both of them with mentioning banjochris' monumental list of the Mance Lipscomb Guitar Keys and Positions on Weeniepedia. An invaluable resource.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 03:25:58 PM by uncle bud »

Offline Blue in VT

• Howdy!
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2010, 07:12:17 AM »
Thanks Bud....and a HUGE thanks to banjochris....that is truly an invaluable resource!

Cheers,

Blue
Blue in VT

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2010, 04:10:12 PM »
Thanks, guys!
Chris

Offline LusciousLucy

« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2010, 07:19:55 AM »
Thank you very kindly from me as well, Chris - you definiteley deserve nothing less than hero-status for that Guitar keys-list!

What confuses me a little about Grossman's Youtube-Lesson: I listened to Mance's Charley James recently (I don't remember where, though) but it
appears to be a different version from Grossman's. Or maybe he has he worked out his own.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 07:23:06 AM by LusciousLucy »

Tags: Mance Lipscomb 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal