collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Well they kidnapped my baby, and she was all I had // And they held her for a ten thousand dollar ransom, ooh well well, you know that made me feel so bad - Peetie Wheatstraw, Kidnapper's Blues

Author Topic: Otis Spann  (Read 2247 times)

Offline Bunker Hill

Otis Spann
« on: March 10, 2007, 03:18:38 AM »
I know this is a bit "left field" for Weenies but Robert Ford kindly sent me the Spann entry from his forthcoming revised blues bibliography which is required by somebody who is writing a web feature. Before I consign my copy to the trash (six sheets) is there anybody out there who might have an interest in seeing this? If so PM me with an email and I'll supply as Word-RTF attachment.

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
Re: Otis Spann
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 08:24:15 AM »
This won't be in the entry - but Spann 'opened' for Cream at Sheffield University Students' Union in 1966. He was superb. I left before Cream played a note.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 01:56:55 AM »
As I started this topic which went nowhere perhaps this little insight might find some interest at this new forum. From Record Research 88 (Jan 1968 p.4):

OTIS SPANN RECORDS AGAIN

We had the good fortune to sea and hear another recording session, this time documenting the MUDDY WATERS band of November 1967 - featuring the great bluesman 0TIS SPANN on vocal and piano.' Otis is the Muddy Waters perennial who has coma a long way from Jackson Mississippi. Beginning as an 8 year old child prodigy he can now boast of 30 year seniority in the business. For more than a decade ha has been with Muddy Waters. His accomplishments have bean well documented all over this world. His feature recordings are assuming classic value and will be future evergreens. On November 20, 1967 Otis Spann added a fresh new page to his recording activities with another visit to the studio to record his second album for ABC's "BLUESWAY''. In accompaniment were the Muddy Waters Blues Band. Also participating was promising Blues starlet Miss LUCILLE WILSON, on her initial recording voyage.

Otis was neatly attired in a short sleeve plaid shirt covered by a multi-colored sweater, dark blue slacks, nylon stretch socks and high leather sporting boots. He was prepared and raring to go. ABC exec. BOB THIELE was presiding over the A&R duties. The engineers were scurrying about placing mikes, laying wires, taking tone and balance tests and setting the dials. In the audience were "Jazz" senior editor, Pauline Rivalli; "Jazz" blues editor and historian, Sheldon Harris who was to be the liner notes annotator for the album; photographer, Dennis Chalkin who was busily snapping everything that moved; Muddy's personal manager, Bob Messinger;  great Spann-Muddy fans, the Malenky's and Bluesdom's Victoria Spivey, a one lady cheering section, who was spurring on her 'son' to greater heights. Album is scheduled for February 1968 release.
(illustrated with photo of Spann, Lucille, Len Kundstadt, Spivey and Muddy)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 01:58:57 AM by Bunker Hill »

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 08:11:34 AM »
BH... I'll take you up on copy, it's all knowledge!

Prof... and I saw him in 196?? as a solo I think, I recall it was some sort of various blues artists type show - my memory is going, going... gone  :-X 

Luckily I didn't have to walk out before Cream came on as they were not on the bill  :D I do remember a friend appearing in the 60's with an LP of theirs and trying to get me to listen, I told him it was a crap copy of the original material - didn't go down too well  >:D
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline eagle rockin daddy

• Oh Glory How Happy I Am
    • myspace site
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 08:30:03 AM »
Bunkie,
I'll take one also.  What a musician he was.

Mike

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 11:35:51 AM »
My first Spann record birthday gift December 1964. (Click to enlarge)

Sorry so dark my image scanning software is like its user - pretty ancient.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 11:37:46 AM by Bunker Hill »

Tags: Otis Spann 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal