collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
What is a blues singer, a good or a bad one? I say he's just a meal ticket for the man or woman who wears dollar signs for eyes - Big Bill Broonzy, quoted by Yannick Bruynoghe in Big Bill Blues, Da Capo Press

Author Topic: Shaggy Hound Blues - Shirley Griffith  (Read 1087 times)

bayrum78

Shaggy Hound Blues - Shirley Griffith
« on: April 18, 2011, 10:10:01 PM »
 a HUGE thanks goes to Frankie who provided me with .mp3's of the Shirley Griffith material. You're the best!

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
Re: Shaggy Hound Blues - Shirley Griffith
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 02:49:01 AM »
Love the slide  on the sixth string and the classy ending. Great stuff.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 05:29:28 AM »
Yeah, that slide bit sure is a fun change-up after the trancey E stuff. Sounds great, love the rawness, and like River Line, this is such a great song.

bayrum78

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 09:21:33 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys! I like the breakout slide part also and think the classy ending decription is spot on -  he was indeed an elegant player.

Going into the song I naively thought because it was basically a 1st position E and A chord song it wouldn't take me very long to work it out - boy was I wrong! Besides the chords, everything about this song to me is hard here is a partial list: the rhythms of the E chord are difficult to play let alone sing, ditto the A chord arpeggio. The vocal intervals are unfamiliar and hard to hit. The sliding part has odd timing that I landed only after counting the slides  and associating the start of the slide with specific words in the verse. Although I think I play the same chord progression he does at the end, in order to not break time, I had to shorten it by a couple beats leaving out the 6th string walk he does before playing those "classy" breakout chords at the end of the song. I never did nail the turnaround.  What I ended up with (to my chagrin) is really more of an impression than a cover.  My favorite blues tend to be the harmonically simple and rhythmically complex songs. This one fits that bill and certainly stretched me to my limits.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal