collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
The blues is a mighty long road. Or it could be a river, one that twists and turns and flows into a sea of limitless musical potential - Billy Gibbons

Author Topic: Member Map!  (Read 43307 times)

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Member Map!
« on: January 29, 2005, 10:50:51 AM »
Hello All,

One of the great things about Country Blues is its universal appeal.  It has been fun to watch the Juke's Server Status screen and amazing to see the many different countries that listen to Weenie Juke Radio.  Forum participants come from an equally broad number of countries from around the world.  Even though the forum and the music is in English - Weenie Campbell and Country Blues are truly international.

Various members have expressed a desire for other members to make known their City and Country of origin. See this thread:

http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?Itemid=47&?topic=845.0

To encourage this, I thought it would be fun to install a forum modification, similar to the listing on Weenie Juke Radio, called "Member Map'.  This allows a member to place a pin on a World Map of their location.  A City name can optionally be filled in also. Once the pin is placed, a small country of origin flag will show below their member name in posts.  The flag will also show next to a member name (or guest) in the Who's Online listing (if you do not like the flag, you can always hide your online status).  The map can get a little confusing, so here are some tips:

Click the "Map" button on the Forum's main menu.
Click the 'Place you pin' link
Select the Map from the drop down lisitng
Place the cross-hatch on your location and click to place your pin
(optionally fill in City and Country)
Click the 'Save Pin' link

Now view the 'World' or other countries and if you click on the member name - their Pin will blink.  8)

Cheers,
Slack

boots

Re: Member Map!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2005, 11:11:57 AM »
The UK dominates for a short while. 2 pins. Well done Scratchy well quick off the mark.

Boots

boots

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2005, 11:23:00 AM »
Nice to the first Afgani member,  Slack.  O0

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2005, 11:50:43 AM »
Mr. TestUser gets around.  :P

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2005, 12:31:54 PM »

You've been conned Slack, this 'ere map does not have Channel Islands on it  >:D

(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2005, 02:09:54 PM »

You've been conned Slack, this 'ere map does not have Channel Islands on it  >:D

Actually, I paid extra for that feature.  :P 

boots

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2005, 02:13:44 PM »
To have them erased???  8)

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2005, 02:49:27 PM »
Possible problem with Safari. When I try to position my pin on SF I get an Illegal Coordinates message (must be a Republican program). Anyway, after experimenting I found out that the pin apears about 1000 miles south and a little east of where I place the cross hairs. And to attemp to hit SF on the penninsula I'd have to position the crosshairs off the map, which it won't let me do. So it can tell when I'm just off the map, even tho' it thinks I'm way down and over from there if I move just onto the map. Weird. Oh well. I'll try it on a Mac with IE later today.
All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

boots

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2005, 05:53:05 PM »
Hi! Waxy,
Have you tried the otherside of the map? It may possibly wrap right round. As some people think it really does.

Boots

blind rat blues

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2005, 01:23:22 AM »
Hey guys looks like I is da only one in Aussieland.

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2005, 03:25:10 AM »

Hhh.

To have them erased???

Actually, Slack has succeeded where nasty Mr Hitler failed, but he did leave a lot of scrap and concrete about when left .....

[attachment deleted by admin]
(That's enough of that. Ed)

boots

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2005, 03:43:52 AM »
Cheer up Richard  :)

Actually, Slack has succeeded where nasty Mr Hitler failed, but he did leave a lot of scrap and concrete about when left .....

Slack has made amends with a new map. North West Europe - it joins you up with us mainlanders. 8)

Boots

Offline a2tom

• stickman's got 'em
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2005, 05:48:50 AM »
really nice feature - 2 things I've noticed.  First, I appear to alphabetize to the front of the USA list - a quirk I am not used to since my name has always put me at the end of the line in school, etc - a perk of being a2tom?

Second, there seems to be a developing pattern  that no one is from the birthplaces of the blues - the USA map is sort of comical in that regard (at this moment).  Strong developing clusters in the north, midwest and west, with this void over southern places like Mississippi.  There is one El Paso Texan...

tom

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2005, 08:48:46 AM »
Slack has made amends with a new map. North West Europe - it joins you up with us mainlanders.

Richard, at least the gun was not aimed at me. And go ahead and draw the Channel Islands in -- either a marker on your monitor -- or if you wanna get fancy, you could do a tranparent overlay.   O0

There is one El Paso Texan...

A mere 600 miles away from Blind Lemon Jefferson's hometown. ;)

slack

Offline Bluesygirl

• I've Fallen And I Can't Reach My Guitar
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2005, 02:01:36 PM »
I am having trouble too placing my pin in the appropriate place. I also use Safari, and am finding that, like John, the dot appears somewhere in the south Pacific when I try to place it in southern CA.  Any suggestions?
Bg

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal