collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I saw some cross-eyed people, I saw a man was so cross-eyed that when he cried tears ran down his back. I saw a man, Bill, with his eyes so near the top of his head, when he get ready to see he had to pull off his hat - Sonny Boy Williamson on cross-eyed people

Author Topic: What type of flatpick device is Broonzy using in these 1950s videos?  (Read 1899 times)

Offline LB

• Ga
Just got the DVD from Netflix with Broonzy and some Belgium performances I think from the 50s and one is him sitting outside flatpicking several tunes including John Henry. I've heard from many older Ga blues players about ways older generations picked with the backbone of matchbooks, sticks, coins and other objects. Each have their own tone and sound. Now I read everywhere what a wonderful "plectrum" player Broonzy was but honestly when I watch the close up film of his right hand strumming slowly between songs and flatpicking I don't see any sign of a wide pick, or a plectrum. I see him holding a stick or object of some kind with a perfect right angle to the strings raking the tip up and down. Perhaps a piece of plastic from the kitchen or something with a sharp, pointed sound. Does anyone have any knowledge on this topic? Just found that interesting, now back to the video. Did I mention Netflix rocks?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 04:50:11 PM by LittleBrother »

Offline CF

Re: What type of flatpick device is Broonzy using in these 1950s videos?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 04:57:13 PM »
Here's some of the video from YouTube

The video even ends with a close up of his picking hand & I can't tell what he's plucking with LB, the youtube video quality may not help much.

Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline Lyle Lofgren

• Lyle & Elizabeth Lofgren
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 05:59:10 PM »
In the first two songs on the video you attached, he's using a thumbpick (notice that the thumb is parallel to the strings), but no fingerpicks (he strums downward with his fingers a few times, and fingerpicks would catch on the strings). You're right that it's almost impossible to see what flat pick he's using on the last song, but it's not a matchbook (sound is too crisp). It looks to me like it's a regular plastic guitar pick, albeit a stiff one (tortoiseshell picks are usually smaller, and it looks to me like it's standard size).

Of course, I stand ready to stand corrected.

Lyle

Offline LB

• Ga
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 05:07:10 AM »
I know from at least my own experiences growing up playing with almost any kind of pick object I could find or make, the way he holds it, his index and thumb, the angle of it, looks more like a straight object. I can see something in the video between his thumb and index at one moment. And I don't see that width of a regular pick... thanks for replying. I figured it might be a piece of trivia others might already know.

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 05:23:16 AM »
I read somewhere that Django Reinhardt, while touring southern France and running out of picks, broke a tooth from a comb and played like that for some time, before they were able to find suitable guitar picks again.

Makes one wonder about the people who rave about this or that pick being the "magical key" to a certain sound or touch!  :D

Cheers

Pan

Offline Lyle Lofgren

• Lyle & Elizabeth Lofgren
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 05:25:48 AM »
What if it's a "standard" triangular pick, but he's holding it closer to the tip than is usual among guitarists?

Lyle

Offline LB

• Ga
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 08:51:21 AM »
Really interest Pan that you mentioned that idea. When I first composed by post I started to include that option. You can cut the largest tooth off the end of a large plastic hair comb. Lyle the reason I had the hunch is the way Broonzy is holding it which is exactly the way you pick with a long object like that, at that angle and with the thumb and index at perfect 90 degree angle instead of more parallel like you hold a flat pick. Then the TONE you hear really sounds like a small sharp object. Of course I'm making a guess based on what I see. Maybe someone will still have some direct knowledge passed down from people that knew Broonzy or something about this trip and film.

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 07:55:02 PM »
Where ARE the people who knew Broonzy?
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Blue Poodle

• Kill it, Kid.
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 09:15:13 PM »
Pete Seeger shot that film, but I don't know whether it's possible to ask him what Broonzy might have used for a pick, or whether he would remember.  The best shot of his hand is 5:50, and I can't make out what he uses for a pick.

It doesn't look to me like he is wearing a thumb pick for "Hey, Hey".

Here is a documentary where Broonzy plays a few songs.  Starting from around 6:51, you can see several close ups of his right hand, and he is not wearing a thumb pick.  

http://www.myspace.com/video/vid/30012999

Pete Seeger's films are available in a DVD that Stefan Grossman edited and assembled:

http://guitarvideos.com/dvd/13042dvd.htm
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 08:37:07 PM by Blue Poodle »
All the world loves a lover, but a lover doesn't always love love.

Offline LB

• Ga
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 07:23:51 AM »
Thanks that is very helpful and another direction to research. I may have read or watched some things from Seeger about Broonzy and forgotten. It reminds me of the Leadbelly CDs I have with Seeger talking about the playing techniques. Got to go back through some of that. Your clue may be as close as it gets.

I also know from growing up in the boonies you invent every kind of picking tool and home made capos, even repairs and parts are made from disposed items. I imagine Broonzy could play with any tool, or none at all. But the sound and tone he gets with this flatpicking video is a little different than a regular pick would sound imo.

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 09:25:09 AM »
Looks like a smallish pick to me, maybe a mandolin pick. I'd imagine they'd have any music making device anyone would need at chez Seeger, nest cafe?
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal