collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
A lot of these white boys play the blues real good. Ain't but one thing about most of them though: most can't sing a thing - David Honeyboy Edwards, from his bio

Author Topic: Willie or Willie's and offspring  (Read 1180 times)

Offline wreid75

Willie or Willie's and offspring
« on: November 08, 2011, 10:51:00 AM »
Calt/Wardlow King of the Delta blues p. 150 middle paragraph
"By 1927 Will Brown and his wife Josie had left Drew for Memphis where both were to die (according to Dick Bankston and Ledell Johnson) around 1940."

Now the census info found on TDBlues that was referenced shows only one Willie Brown born at that time that was married to a Josie. We have been told repeatedly that the one Dick Bankston played with and the one Son House played with are two different Willies. So is there two Willie Browns, both about the same age, married to a woman with the same name, both being blues players, and both playing with Charlie Patton. The statistic probability of this seems astronomical. We are going largely on the differing physical descriptions given of the two Willies yet Honeyboy says in The world don?t owe me nothing page 95;
?Willie Brown was kind of a big, husky fellow; he was heavy. He worked on the farm and played with Son House.?

This is Bankston and Johnson that say that the Willie they know was a blues player that played with Charlie Patton with a wife named Josie. This does not add up.

Also on the same page from the link below is a quote from a larger paragraph from article author Jason Rewald, "Still, though, only one married Josie Mills. I also was pointed in the direction of another Census Record of Willie Brown (Wardlow pointed it out to me) that shows him married to Josie with four kids, living in Washington County. This info will be featured in an upcoming article."

If all this is accurate which it appears it very well is then new field research needs to be done.  Thoughts?

http://www.tdblues.com/?p=891

Offline Bunker Hill

Re: Willie or Willie's and offspring
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 11:15:34 AM »
If you click on the Josie Bush TAG you see find a transcript of what David Evan's had to say on the topic of Willie Brown's wife, whom he named Josie Bush!!!!

Offline Roscoe

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 06:18:24 AM »
is the guy that wrote mississippi blues? i heard he was from arkansas??
thanks
roscoe
eureka springs ar

Offline oddenda

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 03:53:06 PM »
THAT William Brown is not Patton's/House's Willie Brown - Lomax mentioned in passing that William Brown was a tall left-handed guitarist. He recorded Brown (and Willie Blackwell) in AR because they had been run out of Memphis (TN) by the police for inter-racial consorting, to put it mildly. WHATEVER Lomax was up to HAD to be illegal! Been there, done that.

pbl
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 03:55:32 PM by oddenda »

Offline JohnLeePimp

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 11:06:43 AM »
THAT William Brown is not Patton's/House's Willie Brown - Lomax mentioned in passing that William Brown was a tall left-handed guitarist. He recorded Brown (and Willie Blackwell) in AR because they had been run out of Memphis (TN) by the police for inter-racial consorting, to put it mildly. WHATEVER Lomax was up to HAD to be illegal! Been there, done that.

pbl

...I still don't understand why Kid Bailey and William Brown are considered disparate people, particularly since i just found this

...so blue I shade a part of this town.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 11:30:59 AM »
Oh that's Kid Bailey now is it? Almost a decade ago it was Robert Johnson and could be seen all over the internet. I give up.  :(

Offline JohnLeePimp

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 12:03:54 PM »
Oh that's Kid Bailey now is it? Almost a decade ago it was Robert Johnson and could be seen all over the internet. I give up.  :(

Give up on what? the internet? :o don't do that!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 12:08:16 PM by JohnLeePimp »
...so blue I shade a part of this town.

Offline wreid75

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 12:35:48 PM »
1920 census shows that there were two Willie Browns in the same general area in Mississippi who were married to a woman named Josie.  How f-ed up is that.  That region off mississippi wasn't Tokyo.  It was not densely populated.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal