collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
It can be argued that Chess is the Robert Johnson of record labels: over-emphasized and sometimes over-hyped, endlessly recycled, barnacled with legends and namechecked by ignorati anxious to establish their cred. And yet - also like Robert Johnson - in an active life that was fairly short, Chess produced music of vast artistic and historical importance - Chris Smith, review of Chess Blues various artist compilations in the 2006 Penguin Guide To Blues Recordings p. 780

Author Topic: "I won't let nobody put that doggone thing on me"  (Read 863 times)

Offline bradleygardner

• Howdy!
"I won't let nobody put that doggone thing on me"
« on: April 29, 2015, 08:35:00 PM »
Lucille Bogan:

"An? I ain?t goin? to let no?body put that doggone thing on me.?

Willie Brown:

"Lord, bless that woman, That put that thing on me."

Similar verses show up in a number of songs. When I first heard it I thought it sounded like it had roots in voodoo (put the evil eye on someone), but I haven't managed to find anything concrete on the matter. Am I hallucinating or is there anything to support a voodoo connection.

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
Re: "I won't let nobody put that doggone thing on me"
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 11:20:41 PM »
You might wanna ask Cat Yronerode Possibly you can find the information at her site Lucky Mojo or you could contact her there. She was a regular poster on the pre war blues list on Yahoo. Very interesting person, from comics to hoodoo to tantric sex. When I had a small jug band I always wanted to drive up to her store in Santa Rosa pile out and just start playing Peaches in the Springtime or I Whipped My Woman with a Single Tree or something. She admitted to being a huge MJB fan. Try selling that to a herd of cats.

Another song that might give up some interesting clues through interpretation would be Clifford Gibson's Don't Put That Thing on Me. I don't have time to do a transcription, altho one may already exist on Weeniepedia.

[Edit to add] OK, I got curious. Here's Cat's page about the expression, with a transcription of CG's version:  http://www.luckymojo.com/bluesdontputthatgibson.html

Wax
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 11:28:38 PM by waxwing »
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal