collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I thought that it was such a privilege for me to be doing those sides with Georgia, that I decided to do everything I could in one bar. Everything I could dream of, I wanted to be sure I got it all in. I was like a dive bomber coming in, playing everything but what she was singing, playing the fastest run I could that had nothing to do with expressing the blues. It was wrong! - The self deprecating Les Paul on his 1936 recording sessions backing Georgia White

Author Topic: SOTM 01AUG2019 Busy and You Can't Come In  (Read 974 times)

Offline Old Man Ned

SOTM 01AUG2019 Busy and You Can't Come In
« on: August 01, 2019, 03:13:55 PM »
For this months SOTM I've chosen the 'busy but you can't come in' theme as in 'I'm busy' 'Busy booting' 'I hear you knocking'...'but you can't come in'

Starting off with Sylvester Weaver's 1924 instrumental version 'I'm Busy and You Can't Come In'

A version with lyrics sung by Eva Taylor accompanied by King Oliver and some lovely guitar from Eddie Lang from 1928

Kokomo Arnold's 'Busy Bootin' version from 1935 with some somewhat different lyrics

A few titles under 'Keep Knocking and You Can't Come In'
From Louis Jordan

Some Western Swing from Milton Brown

And rounding off with Little Richard's take

Just presenting half a dozen selections and hoping other folk will pick up on the theme and add.

All the best,
Old Man Ned.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Re: SOTM 01AUG2019 Busy and You Can't Come In
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 09:09:04 PM »
Good job Ned, and good choice of song.

Offline Lastfirstface

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 02:20:31 PM »
Check out my SOTM post from a few years back:

https://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=10879.0

Offline Old Man Ned

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 08:24:36 AM »
Let me know if you think I've screwed up by choosing 'you can't come in' as the SOTM for August and I'll provide an alternative choice in a few days as all this months posts have been covered in the link above from lastfirstface

All the best,
Ned

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2019, 10:52:15 AM »
I was quite happy to listen through these and thought it a good choice. I especially like songs that survived until the R&R era in the fifties. I’m finding it hard to discover songs that haven’t already been covered in this thread over the years, though I’m sure they’re out there!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2019, 11:21:12 AM »
Hi Old Man Ned,
I like the choice and the videos you posted, and don't think there's any need for a do-over.  As the Song of the Months go forward, it definitely becomes more difficult to find something that hasn't already been done.  I think I've twice posted a duplicative Song of the Month initial post, once doing "Louise", and forgetting that Prof Scratchy had done it the year before.  I suppose that when it comes time to do a Song of the Month it would be a good idea to review all of the ones that have been done thus far, to reduce the likelihood of spending time on a duplicative thread.  I think I will post a table that has the dates of each Song of the Month, along with who posted it.  That would make checking easier.  I'll move this thread back to the Song of the Month board.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2019, 11:27:15 AM »
Oops, I should have checked before that last point I made.  BanjoChris has already made such a list of the Songs of the Month and has been maintaining it as new Songs of the Month have been posted.  So Chris's thread is the place to check before posting a new Song of the Month, going forward.
All best,
Johnm

Offline DavidCrosbie

• Howdy!
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2019, 06:36:22 PM »
I particularly go for this1928 version by Bert M Mays.

Also from 1928, this version by James 'Boodle It' Wiggins

And while we're in 1928, here's Tampa Red's Hokum Jug Band

« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 06:37:40 PM by DavidCrosbie »

Offline Lastfirstface

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2019, 05:56:30 AM »
I wasn't griping, just pointing people back to that thread for some more tunes. Easy to hit duplicates when you go for these "well trod" tunes. Good post all the same, Ned.

Offline Old Man Ned

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2019, 01:30:25 PM »
Thanks all. It certainly is getting trickier to come up with something original. I had another tune as back up so just wanted to check.

All the best,
Ned

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal