collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I had to sell my soul to the devil in order to learn to play like [Tommy Johnson]. Only the fellow who called himself the devil offered to teach me guitar in ten easy lessons, fifty dollars down and ten dollars per lesson. And he wasn't a man, exactly, but a transvestite who called himself "Peetie Wheatstraw's mother-in-law - Steve Calt, attributed to Shirley Griffith

Author Topic: Carolina Slim Lyrics  (Read 353 times)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Carolina Slim Lyrics
« on: November 24, 2023, 09:49:32 AM »
Hi all,
Carolina Slim (Edward P. Harris) was born in Leasburg, North Carolina on August 22, 1923. His brief recording career consisted of five sessions, from July 24, 1950 to June 5, 1952. He died in 1953, suffering heart failure after back surgery, just thirty years old. Like Robert Johnson, he was very influenced by recorded blues, and in Slim's case, the primary influences were Lightnin' Hopkins and Blind By Fuller, two players with very different ideas about rhythmic feel and phrasing. The varied qualities of Carolina Slim's influences had the effect of making his playing more like recent or present-day players of acoustic blues, who often can sound a number of different ways, depending on whose material they are covering. In fact, though, Slim added his own touches to everything he played, and was a fine singer, too. He recorded "I'll Get By Somehow" at a session in New York City on March 22, 1951, accompanying himself out of G position in standard tuning. Here is "I'll Get By Somehow":

INTRO

Oh, hey Lawdy, hey Lawdy-Lawd, mmmm-mmmm, hey Lawdy-Lawd
It doesn't matter, how it happened, I get by somehow

I told you, baby, a long time ago, you had to reap, honey, everything you sow
So you reap on, and take it easy, I get by somehow

SOLO

I'm doing better, than I did before, you ain't gon' worry, me never no more
So take it easy, take it easy, honey, I get along somehow

I told you, baby, when you was treatin' me mean, gonna leave you, baby, goin' to New Orleans
So when I'm gone, take it easy, I get along somehow

CODA

All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Carolina Slim Lyrics
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2023, 10:31:13 AM »
Hi all,
Carolina Slim recorded "Since I Seen Your Smiling Face" at a session in New York City on December 14, 1951, and the record was released under the name of "Country Paul". He played electric guitar on the song, and it really suited it, and he accompanied himself out of A position in standard tuning. His vocal is very serious and subdued on this one. His solo is striking, especially in its beginning, and he plays a gnarly D7b9 or A dim7 chord for his IV chord.
Incidentally, if you want to listen to all of the Carolina Slim songs for which the lyrics have been transcribed on this site, the best thing to do is to go to Weeniepedia, select "Lyrics", then select "Lyrics by Artist", which will take you to the alphabetical listing of artists whose lyrics have been transcribed. Click on his name, or whatever artist you're interested in, and at the end of each lyric transcription is a link to the original post where that songs lyrics were transcribed. I mention this because for any given artist, not all of their songs' lyrics will have been transcribed in the dedicated lyric thread devoted to their songs--they may be in a Song of the Month thread or Miller's Breakdown, or somewhere else.
Here is "Since I Seem Your Smiling Face":

INTRO

It's been a long, long time, since I seen your smiling face
It's been a long, long time, since I seen your smiling face
I've been hoping and praying, no one else has taken my place

My eyes is failing, and my hair is turning gray
My eyes is failing, and my hair is turning gray
If I die before I see you, think of me and where I lay

SOLO

Baby, I may never, see your smiling face again
Baby, I may not never, see your smiling face again
But I want you to alway remember, that I alway was your friend

All best,
Johnm

« Last Edit: November 26, 2023, 10:36:48 AM by Johnm »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Carolina Slim Lyrics
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2023, 08:11:33 AM »
Hi all,
Carolina Slim accompanied himself out of E position in standard tuning for "Ain't It Sad". It was recorded the same day as "Since I Seen Your Smiling Face". Slim's opening solo is really unusual and ventured into a lot of territory you don't often hear in E blues. Once again, his vocal is very subdued, not surprising, perhaps, given the subject matter. And given how early Guitar Slim died, you wonder if it was a premonition. Here is "Ain't It Sad":

INTRO

Ain't it sad, ain't it sad, we all got to lay down and die?
Yes, it's something you can't get around, no matter how hard you try

When that old hearse come rolling, and park in front of your door
When that old hearse come rolling, and parked in front of your door
They gon' take you right to the boneyard, and let you down, six feet below

SOLO

I'm warning all you people, you better get on the right side, 'cause you don't never know when you're gonna lay down and die
Yes, it's something you can't get around, no matter how hard you try

All best,
Johnm

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal