collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

Among God's creations two, the dog and the guitar, have taken all sizes and shapes in order not to be separated from man - Andres Segovia

Author Topic: Kanas City Blues ish  (Read 1715 times)

Offline Richard

• Global Moderator
  • Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
Kanas City Blues ish
« on: May 10, 2007, 03:22:06 AM »
First the excuses! I only re-discovered this song yesterday, wrote down the words and had a go with no intention whatsoever of putting it up here, so it comes with warts and all.

However, the main reason for this epic was I recently aquired (after a certain amout of horse-trading) a fantastic little early parlour guitar that was set up aeons ago for lap style, it appears to be held together by patination and little else! It's light, pretty loud with a twangy bass and whole thing gets into a sort of resonance when played... you can tell I am more than impressed, the couple of shaky pics show it in all it's glory!

So even if you are not impressed with the actual performance, the guitar is so great and I was just moved to inflict it on you   ;D
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
Re: Kanas City Blues ish
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 06:33:20 AM »
On first hearing, the guitar has a sort of Jimmy Tarlton quality to it.

Have you at last realised that wood is better than metal when it comes to guitars? (deliberately contentious remark to stir up the resophonia phans!! tee hee...)
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline daddystovepipe

• daddystovepipe youtube
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 11:00:43 AM »
This is so refreshing - I really like this - indeed very Tarltonesque -  the guitar sounds great and although you're not the greatest singer the vocals fit wonderfully - great new angle to a tired old song - keep 'm coming
Carl

Offline Richard

• Global Moderator
    • weekendblues
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 12:14:53 PM »
Daddy S too kind (although you're not supposed to say "not the greatest singer"   ;D ) this magnum opus is best described as "rough and ready" meaning... I know it's certainly a bit rough and definitely not ready  - but nevertheless I felt it despite the obvious failings it was a little different had some life of it's own.

You have now got me to listening again to D&T and I can see the similarity but, I'm not in that league - I'll try and work on it  :-X
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 12:16:06 PM by Richard »

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 10:07:49 AM »
I'm impressed - with the song and the guitar. The song you make your own without following anyone else's style. You're working hard on both the guitar and the singing - and it's not easy pressing the start button and getting through a performance without glitches, or nervous breakdowns, or both. What do you know about the guitar? Looks to have a really deep body?

Offline Richard

• Global Moderator
    • weekendblues
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 01:02:56 PM »
Thanks Prof, this diy singing bit at is Okeh at home, but I still need to have spheres to do it in public, I'm working on it :-X

The guitar, I am told is probably pre1920 if not earlier and as you can see, in it's heyday it must have been a really fancy piece of work. The pic of it next to the tricone shows how small it is, bottom bout is barely 11.5" although it's 4" deep and the whole thing is very light with it seems, most the weight in the neck!

Tags: lap steel 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal