collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Away out where the men are men, down in El Paso, that is where they call me a yodeling hobo - Gene Autry, "The Yodeling Hobo"

Author Topic: Leadbelly vs BBQ Bob sized 12 strings...  (Read 4102 times)

Offline Blue Poodle

• Kill it, Kid.
Leadbelly vs BBQ Bob sized 12 strings...
« on: January 28, 2005, 10:33:34 PM »
what's your preference, in terms of sound and playing comfort?  Personally, I like the smaller bodied guitars for playing comfort.

I never play in a room big enough to need the extra volume of a jumbo guitar, either.
All the world loves a lover, but a lover doesn't always love love.

Offline harpe

• Stella Guitars
Re: Leadbelly vs BBQ Bob sized 12 strings...
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 03:28:45 AM »
I have owned and played both? the jumbo "Lead Belly" and the grand concert sized "Barbecue Bob" Stella 12-strings. Both have the same 26 1/2 inch scale length. I think that size is not the only thing to consider. Some have a fixed pin bridge, whereas others are set up with a tailpiece. This has an effect on the way these instruments sound and play, too.

Jumbos Lead Belly's guitar was a mahogany/spruce jumbo with a tailpiece. I guess because of this fact, many people consider guitars like Mr. Ledbetter's to be the "classic" Stella 12-string. I've had several and they do sound great! But I recently had an oak body/spruce top/fixed bridge jumbo in my possession briefly. I sold it to a friend who also owns a "Lead Belly" model with tailpiece. Comparing the two, we agreed that the oak jumbo was a tad more responsive to the touch.

Grand concerts Barbecue Bob's 12-string was the smaller sized model with a fixed bridge. Like the jumbos, Oscar Schmidt made this size with either a tailpiece or with a pin bridge. My personal Stella 12-string is a mahogany/spruce grand concert with fixed bridge. About one year ago I owned a tailpiece "Lead Belly" jumbo and the grand concert I still own. Perhaps especially because I play with bare fingers, I liked the feel and sound of the smaller BBQ Bob model. I sold the jumbo.

Loudness There's very little difference in volume between the jumbo and grand concert Stella 12-strings. Both are plenty loud! But in my opinion, when played without fingerpicks, the pin bridge versions are just a little more responsive to the touch.

Neil Harpe

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal