collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I told a white fellow once, "If you were black for one Saturday night and on Beale Street, never would you want to be white again" - Rufus Thomas

Author Topic: Alan Lomax's Massive Archive Goes Online!  (Read 7541 times)

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Alan Lomax's Massive Archive Goes Online!
« on: April 24, 2005, 12:17:51 PM »
Press release re. the Alan Lomax Archive which, as of this post, was temporarily unavailable.

The Alan Lomax Archive is pleased to announce the
culmination of its seven-year effort to preserve and
disseminate the work of one of the 20th century's
foremost folklorists and musicologists, Alan Lomax.

Alan Lomax believed it was imperative to return
traditions to their home sources and artists, a
strategy he called cultural feedback." In that
spirit, on April 22, 2005 The Alan Lomax Database will
go online; also, over the next ten months, the
Association for Cultural Equity, which administers
the Alan Lomax Archive, will send digital copies of
audio and video recordings and photographs by Alan
Lomax to a number of libraries and archives in the
U.S., the Caribbean, and Europe so that they will be
available locally to people in or from the regions in
which they were originally made.

The Alan Lomax Database, www.lomaxarchive.com, is a
free service. This multimedia catalog of the audio and
video recordings and photographs made by
Alan Lomax from 1946 - 1994 is designed to be an
inclusive record of Lomax's recordings of music and
the spoken word; it thus documents all recordings,
including interrupted tracks and false starts. It can
be searched by performer, song title, geography,
culture, genre, subject, instrument, collection,
session, and recording date. Users can print out
single-page reports of their search results.
Photographs taken by Lomax during the field
trips are linked to the appropriate sessions and also
available in a separate searchable catalog. Every
audio recording in the catalog can be heard in samples
of forty seconds (music, spoken word) to two minutes
(radio shows, discussions, lectures).

The first six collections to go on line are: Texas
Gladden & Hobart Smith 1946; Calypso Concert 1946;
Mississippi Prison Recordings 1947 and 1948; Big
Bill Broonzy 1952; Southern Journey US 1959 and 1960;
and Central Park Concert 1965. These will be followed
by the remainder of Lomax's fieldtrips, each to go
on-line as they are completed.? It will also
ultimately include some of the older collections of
audio recordings made by Lomax on behalf of the
Library of Congress in the 1930's and 1940's.

The Alan Lomax Archive is also in the process of
donating digital copies of selected collections to
some 20 libraries and archives in the U.S. and abroad,
largely in the regions in which the recordings were
made. Donation agreements have been signed with
fifteen of these institutions. By the end of 2005, a
total of 4,500 hours of audio recordings and 2,014
hours of video recordings will have been disseminated.

For more information and materials on the Alan Lomax
Archives contact:

Howard?
Howlin' Wuelf Media
527 Barclay Ave.
Morrisville, PA 19067
215-428-9119
http://howlinwuelf.com/
« Last Edit: April 24, 2005, 12:19:00 PM by uncle bud »

boots

Re: Alan Lomax's Massive Archive Goes Online!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 01:57:11 PM »
A terrific link UB. I'll be having a nose a soon as it is back online,

Cheers,
Boots

Offline KC King

• Honey, Let me bring my clothes back home!
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 02:39:54 PM »
Thank You, UB - While I currently have about 25 of the Rounder, Alan Lomax releases - that is but a smidgen of the recordings he did. I will spend way tooo much time on this site.  :D
KC (Chris) King

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 02:57:44 PM »
It sure sounds like it will be an amazing site...

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005, 03:03:11 PM »
Wow, that is just tremendous.

It is unclear to me how one would listen to something beyond the 'samples' - the 20 other libraries?

boots

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2005, 04:13:39 PM »
I think some should get online. The Internet Archive perhaps  :-\

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2005, 06:13:04 PM »
Thanks, UB, I ?copied it to the 'shed and IGS. Very Cool.
All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

lebordo

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005, 01:04:30 PM »
It is unclear to me how one would listen to something beyond the 'samples' - the 20 other libraries?

I wondered the same thing, Slack.

Perhaps you could contact the person listed in Uncle Bud's original post and get the WC Juke certified as an "Internet Blues Library" -- then the juke could could get copies of all the full selections:

Howard 
Howlin' Wuelf Media
527 Barclay Ave.
Morrisville, PA 19067
215-428-9119
http://howlinwuelf.com/

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2005, 01:14:28 PM »
Perhaps you could contact the person listed in Uncle Bud's original post and get the WC Juke certified as an "Internet Blues Library" -- then the juke could could get copies of all the full selections:

Hmmm... wouldn't that be swell....

Offline jharris

• Big Road Blues
Alan Lomax Recordings
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 04:16:28 PM »
While doing some research for a couple of upcoming shows on Alan Lomax (I'll be interviewing author John Zwed about his new Lomax biography) I came across some unreleased recordings. I found these at the Cultural Equity site which is devoted to Lomax. I did a genre search under blues and found some sides, that as far as I know, have not been issued before. Here's the link.

For example, I've always been a fan of John Dudley who was recorded by Lomax in 1959 at Parchman Farm. The Blues Discography 1943-1970 lists three songs but on the site there are three additional songs and a short interview. There seems to be a number of other unreleased sides by other artists including a few by Forrest City Joe.

Online Pan

• Howdy!
Re: Alan Lomax Recordings
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 05:02:34 PM »
Thanks for the link, jharris.

And before anyone else makes a fool of himself, the link, is under the word "link", on Jeff's post!  :P

Cheers

Pan

Offline oddenda

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 11:12:10 PM »
Jeff-

It's spelled "SZWED"!! A very good man, a superior non-linear thinker, and a grand writer. What more can I say!! His book on Sun Ra is magnificent... he's also a great guy.

Peter B.

Offline jostber

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2011, 01:21:51 PM »
A great interview with John Szwed here on the latest Big Road Blues Radio show from 23.01:

http://sundayblues.org/feeds/brb_1.23.mp3

Offline jmorton

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 01:14:13 PM »
I've probably not heard most of Alan Lomax's taped audio, but I'd like to recommend Rounder's reissue of the Jelly Roll Morton Library of Congress tapes.  This was a 12 LP set that fits onto 8 CDs.  You might consider doing what I did, and ask your library to buy the set.

It thrills me just to hear the voice and piano of a man who was playing in New Orleans at the very birth of jazz and blues.  There is a mix of playing, singing, storytelling and description, prompted by A.L.'s curiosity about what things were like in the old days.  Jelly gets a bad rap for being a liar and taking false credit for inventing jazz, etc. - don't be put off by this.  Lomax found the perfect subject in this guy, and made a milestone of oral history.
http://www.rounder.com/artist/music/default.aspx?pid=61530&aid=97269

John Morton
www.jmorton.us

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: Global Jukebox - Lomax field recordings
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2011, 08:28:24 AM »
Further to the info on the John Dudley thread, these are the Lomax Southern Journey recordings released so far. The Cultural Equity website (http://www.culturalequity.org/features/globaljukebox/SouthernJourney/ce_features_SouthernJourney.php) says the following:

Compiled and annotated by Nathan Salsburg, the albums feature remastered audio from transfers of the original tapes, and include considerable previously unreleased material and extensive booklets of photos and notes.

Wave The Ocean, Wave The Sea (Catalog ID: GJ1001 / UPC: 847108063731), released on December 14, 2010, features recordings of Fred McDowell, Forrest City Joe and His Three Aces, Young Brothers' Mississippi Hill Country fife and drum ensemble, work songs and field hollers from Mississippi's Parchman Farm, the Silver Leaf Quartet from Virginia's Eastern Shores, Blue Ridge musical siblings Texas Gladden and Hobart Smith, Bessie Jones and the Georgia Sea Island Singers, the 1959 United Sacred Harp Convention, and WEUP Huntsville's Daddy Cool.

Worried Now, Won't Be Worried Long (Catalog ID: GJ1002 / UPC: 847108077318), released on December 21, 2010, collects recordings of Blue Ridge fiddler Norman Edmonds; blueswoman Rosalie Hill performing on Fred McDowell's porch; electric gospel from Ishman Williams and the William Singers; the United Sacred Harp Convention in Fyffe, Alabama; fife and drum music of the Mississippi Hill Country; the Bright Light Quartet, a group of menhaden fishermen of the Eastern Shores of Virginia; and Almeda "Granny" Riddle, the great balladress of the Ozarks.

I'll Meet You On That Other Shore (Catalog ID: GJ1003 / UPC: 847108057211), released on December 28, 2010, presents recordings of John Davis and the Georgia Sea Island Singers; Tidewater Virginia's Union Choir of the Church of God and Saints of Christ; Old Regular Baptist lining hymns from Eastern Kentucky; Ozark balladeer Neal Morris; work songs from Parchman Farm (the Mississippi State Penitentiary); octogenarian Charles Barnett on vocal and washtub; fiddler Carlos "Bookmiller" Shannon's rendition of "The Eighth of January"; Hobart Smith's performance of "Railroad Bill" - a formative influence on the 1960s Folk Revival; and one of the debut recordings of bluesman Mississippi Fred McDowell.

I'll Be So Glad When The Sun Goes Down (Catalog ID: GJ1004 / UPC: 847108076212), released on January 18, 2011, collects recordings of Blue Ridge banjo legend Wade Ward alongside eighty-one-year old fiddler Charlie Higgins; Mississippi Hill Country church singers James Shorter and Viola James; early bluegrass from Hillsville, Virginia's Mountain Ramblers; John Dudley's blues from the Parchman Farm dairy camp; shape-note singing from the United Sacred Harp Convention; St. Simons' Georgia Sea Island Singers; and one of the debut recordings of bluesman Fred McDowell.

I'm Gonna Live Anyhow Until I Die (Catalog ID: GJ1005 / UPC: 847108024497), released on January 25, 2011, features Bluebird hillbilly recording artists J.E. Mainer and his Mountaineers; menhaden fishermen chanties of the Bright Light Quartet; Blue Ridge country gospel composer and bus driver E.C. Ball; Bessie Jones and the Georgia Sea Island Singers; Pentecostal Holiness congregational singing from Memphis; the Mississippi Hill Country dance music of the Pratcher brothers; and one of the debut recordings of bluesman Mississippi Fred McDowell.

The "Southern Journey" series is also available on LP through Mississippi Records.

Offline Cleoma

• Howdy!
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2011, 03:49:56 PM »
These are really worth having, and Nathan Salsburg did a terrific job of programming.  Nearly every single cut on the set is wonderful (some of the hillbilly stuff isn't so strong, but some -- like the Almeda Riddle and Tex Gladden unaccompanied stuff -- is fantastic).  The early Fred McDowell (I think his first recordings ever) and the Jessie Mae Hemphill (recorded under the name Rosalie Hill) are amazing.  There's a ton of great stuff -- highly recommended!

Offline oddenda

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2011, 09:57:33 PM »
I'm pretty sure that Rosalie/Rosa Lee Hill is not Jesse Mae Hemphill. I think that George Mitchell also recorded her; may have been Jesse mae's mother or auntie.

pbl

Offline alyoung

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2011, 03:39:40 AM »
I'm pretty sure that Rosalie/Rosa Lee Hill is not Jesse Mae Hemphill. I think that George Mitchell also recorded her; may have been Jesse mae's mother or auntie.

pbl
Aunt. Rosa Lee Hill was a daughter of Sid Hemphill, who was Jessie Mae's grandfather (and a big influence on her).  George Mitchell did indeed record Rosa Lee Hill.

Al Y

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2012, 04:59:59 PM »
Many of us have been aware for a while of this digitalization of Lomax's collection, but I haven't visited the site for many months. It looks like a lot has been added during that time.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/31/arts/music/the-alan-lomax-collection-from-the-american-folklife-center.html?hp

Lindy

Modified to add:

Curiously, the article doesn't seem to have a link to the Global Jukebox website. He it is:

http://www.culturalequity.org/features/globaljukebox/ce_features_globaljukebox.php
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 05:08:19 PM by lindy »

Offline westside ryan

• Howdy!
    • Westside Ryan
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2013, 01:32:13 PM »
Alan Lomax's Massive Archive Goes Online!
There are over 17,000 recordings now available!

Here are the listings under "blues":

http://research.culturalequity.org/rc-b2/get-audio-ix.do?ix=recording&id=343&idType=genreId&sortBy=abc

Here are the listings under "banjo tune":

http://research.culturalequity.org/rc-b2/get-audio-ix.do?ix=recording&id=347&idType=genreId&sortBy=abc

Here's what's listed under "fiddle tune":

http://research.culturalequity.org/rc-b2/get-audio-ix.do?ix=recording&id=304&idType=genreId&sortBy=abc

There's also quite a few videos as well. I've been enjoying what they've been putting up on youtube over the past few years.

http://www.culturalequity.org/rc/videos/video-guide_ap.php

Here's the story from NPR:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/therecord/2012/03/28/148915022/alan-lomaxs-massive-archive-goes-online

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2013, 02:14:12 PM »
Now THAT is what the internet is for.

Wow.

Only skimmed the first page and already found something completely obscure that I just have to figure out and learn.

Fantastic.

Offline FlyFast

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2013, 10:26:43 PM »
That's amazing!  I could spend many days exploring all of that and I probably will.
Howlin Wolf - "When you ain't got no money and can't pay your house rent and can't buy you no food, you've damn sure got the blues."

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2013, 04:25:26 AM »
We had 5 or 6 topics on this dating back to 2005 I believe, so I've merged everything. More on Lomax for folks if you click the Alan Lomax tag below.

Worth noting as well that some of those searches/tags at the Cultural Equity site are limited in results and don't pick up a lot of material. The banjo tune list misses all the Wade Ward, just for starters. I have found it is good to browse by collection/session. Lots of treasures.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 04:28:10 AM by uncle bud »

Offline westside ryan

• Howdy!
    • Westside Ryan
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2013, 09:33:21 PM »
@Uncle Bud: Thanks for pointing out the issues with the limited tags! I am off to find some Wade Ward right now!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal