collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
If you want to master somebody, you know, lock in on the one that has the most CDs. Because that'll give you the most material. And bury yourself in it. But don't expect to play with anybody who wants to hear you play Blind Blake, 500 tunes. I don't even wanna listen to a whole Blind Blake tape half the time... - Jerry Ricks, Port Townsend 97

Author Topic: Charley Jordan Lyrics  (Read 31361 times)

Offline Chezztone

• Hey!
    • Steve Cheseborough 1920s-30s-style blues
Re: Charley Jordan Lyrics
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2008, 02:07:49 PM »
OK, unless I'm missing something, I see the lyrics of "Keep It Clean #2" posted, but not the original. My take on "Keep It Clean" is below. And regarding the discussion of whether this is "whimsical" or "double entendre" -- it is both suggestive and humorous, as suggestive songs usually are. And yes, it is reminiscent musically and lyrically of children's song, and probably derives from children's song (which is a deeply conservative music form, by the way, which helps explain why this song is "pre-blues" although recorded in the blues era, as John M noted). But that does not mean it isn't suggestive. Children's rhymes and games often have an erotic component, and part of their function is to help children deal with the imminent mysteries of sexuality. And then when Charley Jordan incorporates children's rhymes into his song for grownups, it functions on all those levels (which is partly why it was a hit, besides its irresistible beat and his great playing and singing) -- it reminds listeners of their childhood, it lets them revisit those suggestive lyrics from adult perspective, it makes them laugh.
Cheers, Chezztone

Keep It Clean
Charley Jordan

I went to the river, couldn't get across
I jumped on your papa ?cause I thought he was a horse, now
Roll him over, give him a Coca-Cola
Lemon soda, saucer of ice cream
Takes soap and water for to keep it clean.

Up she jumped, down she fell
Her mouth flew open like a mussel shell, now

Your sister was a tabby, your daddy was a bear
Put a muzzle on your mama ?cause she had bad hair, now

If you want to hear that elephant laugh
Take him down to the river and wash his yas-yas-yas, now

If you want to go to heaven when you D-I-E
You got to put on your collar and your T-I-E, now

If you want to get the rabbits out of the L-O-G
You got to pull on the stump like a D-O-G, now

Run here doctor, run here fast
See what's the matter with his yas-yas-yas, now
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 09:55:10 AM by Johnm »

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2008, 03:04:24 PM »
I always thought the third verse was "Your sister was a teddy, your daddy was a bear..."

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2008, 06:26:18 PM »
I agree, it's "teddy".

In the chorus, it's "rode" not "roll". In verse 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 he sings "Ride him over".

1.1 I went to the river, I couldn't get across
1.2 I jumped on your papa 'cause I thought he was a horse AN' I -
1.5 TAKE soap...

3.2 Put THE muzzle...

Take him down to the river and wash his yas-yas-yas AND

6.2 You got to PUT on the stump like a D-O-G, now

Offline Chezztone

• Hey!
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2008, 05:48:03 PM »
OK, if y'all want to pick nits....
-- I think the term "teddy bear" (which is not in this song, just in general English) is making you hear "tabby" as "teddy." Try just listening for D vs B sound.
-- If he says "an' I" the first verse, that's what he says every time, but I think it's "now." Take your pick, but stay with it for the whole song.
-- It is impossible to tell the difference, in any speaker or singer unless he is pronouncing it strangely with a big gap between the words, between "take soap" and "takes soap." You certainly can't tell in this song.
-- What exactly does it mean to put on a stump like a dog?
Cheers, Chezz

Offline Chezztone

• Hey!
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2008, 02:09:28 PM »
Love you woman, I love your husband too
I have to love your husband just to be with you.
-- another great Charley Jordan line, from "Hunkie Tunkie Blues."
I am really becoming enamored of Jordan's music -- that terrific, high-capoed, busy-but-swinging guitar style and the countryish, emotionless voice singing those funny, sometimes wacky lyrics. What a guy. 

Offline Chezztone

• Hey!
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2008, 03:42:44 AM »
OK, Furry Lewis, in one of his 1960s recordings, sings the line about "If you want to get a rabbit out the L-O-G," and he concludes it, "You got to put on a stunt like a D-O-G." That must be what Jordan says too! Makes much more sense than putting or pulling on a stump.

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2008, 05:17:38 AM »
Makes much more sense than putting or pulling on a stump.

If you go hunting rabbits, the rabbit's gonna hide.  Probably in or under a stump.  If you want to eat, you'd better have a dog...  you know - put him on the stump and flush out the rabbit... then you can make you "both a meal."   >:D

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2008, 07:56:03 AM »
I agree, I think "putting on a stump" makes perfect sense... e.g. tell the dog to pick up the scent trail (here, at this log/stump).  :D 

Offline Chezztone

• Hey!
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2008, 12:28:35 PM »
Please listen to the Furry Lewis number and then think about it. Lewis' ear for blues lyrics (and knowledge of rabbit hunting and folk expressions) are an independent source beyond our theorizing. Thank you.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2008, 12:48:29 PM »
Well, are you going to tell us which 1960's Furry Lewis song or do we have to go hunt that song down... perhaps finding it under a stump?    :P
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 12:49:34 PM by Slack »

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2008, 02:16:12 PM »
perhaps finding it under a stump?

now...   that would be a stunt.

ba-dum-bum!

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2008, 04:16:12 PM »
Well, are you going to tell us which 1960's Furry Lewis song or do we have to go hunt that song down... perhaps finding it under a stump?    :P

I'm pretty sure it's Casey Jones.
Chris

Cooljack

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2008, 04:32:00 PM »
I always got the impression that "Keep It Clean" was a clever satire of the usual themes which are in blues songs

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2008, 10:04:30 PM »
Thanks Chris, found it on the "Complete Blue Horizon Sessions" and indeed I hear Furry say '...put on a stunt like a D-O-G...'

... but I still hear Charley Jordan sing "put on a stump" .. which makes more sense to me, even after I've thought about it.  :)

da Blue Zinnia

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2009, 08:11:55 AM »
Okay, rushing in where angels fear to tread. . . .

Y'all might need a woman to sort out this teddy/tabby debate.
I don't own this recording, so I can't take it out and check, but
I hear it fairly regularly on Woody's Roadhouse (whose live stream on www.wfpk.org Friday and Saturday nights from midnight to 6 a.m. I HIGHLY recommend), and I wonder if it's "Your sister wore a teddy and your daddy was a bear. . ."? 

Remember, this is a song full of sly verbal wit.  Teddies (short one-piece underwear for women, sort of a camisole and-boyleg-
panty combo) were new and highly scandalous when this record came out, and parents all over America were going up in smoke at the thought of their daughters wearing them, fearing that the daughters would be thought "fast".  The parents had a point; that WAS what many thought.

But for comfort, teddies beat the heck out of corset, pantaloons and petticoat, so girls wore 'em, and they were topical, as miniskirts and topless bathing suits. later became.  And it's easy in a country blues song for "wore" and "were" and "was" to have soft enough edges to sound alike.

As for rabbits, they're much more likely to run into a hollow log, which is often horizontal, than a stump, which is normally vertical. That doesn't really help with this lyric, but then, I suspect it wasn't written with later exegesis in mind.   ;D

Tags: Charley Jordan 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal