collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Hey, baby, you just as full of gas as you can be. Because when you get drunk, you come home and blow up on me - Charley Jordan, Gasoline Blues

Author Topic: The Guitar of Robert Wilkins John Miller  (Read 2039 times)

Offline jollyroger

The Guitar of Robert Wilkins John Miller
« on: November 02, 2009, 08:07:15 AM »
Over the weekend I ordered the DVD instructional The Guitar of Robert Wilkins by John Miller. When I received my order confirmation it states that it is a Level 3
instructional DVD. I'm not a complete newbie, but not an accomplished player yet, thus the DVD's to help improve my skills, is this DVD over my head ? and is their another John Miller DVD I should be ordering more suited to my Beginner Level ?  I particularly enjoy John's style of instructions, have seen some on YOUTUBE. 

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: The Guitar of Robert Wilkins John Miller
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 10:24:47 AM »
Hi jollyroger,
I confess to not being up to speed as to what constitutes Level 3, Level 2, or Level 4 in terms of difficulty.  Are you currently able to pick a song in which you accompany the finger-picked melody with the thumb picking an alternating bass?  If the answer is no, I would recommend the Mississippi John Hurt, Volume 1 DVD that I filmed for Stefan Grossman's Guitar Workshop.  If you are already comfortable playing an alternating bass, you should be able to play the Robert Wilkins songs.  You should also take into consideration (maybe first of all) not just skill-building, but what music you would like to play.  If you are a particular fan of Robert Wilkins' music, you might want to opt for that even if it is slightly above your current level--you can slog through and it may take a bit longer, but you'll be playing the music you want to play.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Blue in VT

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 11:34:43 AM »
Of course I can't Add much info to Words from the instructor himself... but having worked through at least part of this tape I can comment that I think it is more of a level 2 than 3...but these are obviously very subjective.  I agree that MJH is certainly a GREAT place to start but I didn't find Wilkin's much more difficult...great tunes though.  I found the Mance Lipscomb videos...also level 3...much more challenging at first.  I say give it a try and see how it goes....if it frustrates the hell out of you back off and try another.  John is right though...really liking the music you are trying to learn makes a HUGE diference...that will help you persevere.

Enjoy!

Blue
Blue in VT

Offline LB

• Ga
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 05:27:56 AM »
As usual I'm late to the party but thanks for this heads up.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal