collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
A fiddle is like a dog -- it can sense fear - Mike Seeger, encouraging a beginning fiddler

Author Topic: Slide playing  (Read 12714 times)

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
Re: Slide playing
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2005, 07:05:56 AM »
Blind Mamie's singing on "Honey In the Rock" just broke my heart.  It's about as beautiful as I have ever heard.

It's a very internal performance - even the word 'performance' seems weird as a description of it, since it's almost (to me, anyway) as if I'm being let in on a very private moment.  If that isn't a musical prayer, I don't know what is.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2005, 03:46:26 AM »
I agree with you, Frank, about A.C. Forehand's playing and the overall effect.? Blind Mamie's singing on "Honey In the Rock" just broke my heart.? It's about as beautiful as I have ever heard.
All best,
Johnm
What I also find remarkable is that the song, written in 1895 by F. A Graves (a white composer of gospel) has metamorphed into something so personal and affecting. When Origin first reissued it on a gospel compilation in the mid-60s Gayle Dean Wardlow speculated that Mamie "was a blues singer before becoming a minister. Mamie may have come from Mississippi, She is reproted to have died in Memphis in the late 30s or early 40s". Interestingly (for me anyway) is that the song was chosen for the volume of Religious Music in the 15 LP set issued in 1976 to mark the Bicentennial. If the series were done today I suspect we'd have Blind Willie Johnson rather than the Forehands....

Offline Gingergeezer

« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2006, 05:46:34 AM »
How about Muddy Waters, there's some nice playing on his Library of Congress recordings. A good starting point for anybody learning to play slide. Also Bukka White, "Special Steamilne" or one of it's variations.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal