collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Negroes all be in there gamblin', you know and they shoot a Negro down... And some of them short guys be standin' around the crap table, the crap table is high, he can't get up there... Pull that dead man up there and stand on him and still keep shootin' dice - Big Bill Broonzy, Blues In the Mississippi Night

Author Topic: a good way to get to Port Townsend using public transport  (Read 1611 times)

Emma Lee

a good way to get to Port Townsend using public transport
« on: April 11, 2005, 05:46:04 PM »
Hi Weenies! Here's a tip you might like to know about, on getting to Port Townsend via public transport (from Seattle anyway), by taking a ferry and a couple of rural county transit buses. It's surprisingly nice, cheap, friendly, and has good connections. They even have a luggage rack for instruments and bags. (You probably aren't bringing a bicycle, but they can carry that too, on the front of the bus. The bike racks really win my heart though, as you can guess from the picture to the left. :))

Here's the itinerary from Seattle to Port Townsend's Fort Worden:
1. Take the ferry from downtown Seattle to Bainbridge Island ($5.70). The ferry debarks from Pier 52, Marion St & Alaskan Way, south end of downtown, on the water of course. (35-minute ride, spectacular scenery)
2. Once on the Bainbridge Island side of Puget Sound, catch the Kitsap Transit #90 bus ($1) from the ferry to Poulsbo Transfer Center. (matched connection, 24-minute ride)
3. From there, pick up the Jefferson Transit #7 bus ($1.25, get a transfer) to the Port Townsend Park & Ride. (5-minute connection, 64-minute ride)
4. Catch the Jefferson Transit #12 (Fort Worden) bus (free w/your transfer, see above) to Fort Worden. (connection varies, 30-minute ride)?

On Sundays there are just two fully linked trips: Either start out on the 10:40am ferry (then Kitsap bus at 11:15am, Jefferson bus at 11:40am, and Ft Worden bus at 1:09pm), or the 2:05pm ferry (then Kitsap bus at 3:10pm, Jefferson bus at 3:40pm, and Ft Worden bus at 5:09pm).

On Saturdays there are also two options -- starting with the 9:35am and the 3pm ferry. On weekdays there are lots more, 6:10am, 9:35am, 11:25am, 3:45pm, and 5:30pm.

My and KC's friend Mark has all of this and more details in this nice (Acrobat/.pdf) file: http://www.mrkland.com/trav/transit/PT.pdf.

Anyway, hope this helps. It's one of the region's better-kept secrets. It took me living in this area for quite a while before I 'discovered' these linked transit routes and realized you don't need a car to get to wonderful Port Townsend!!

See you on the ferry and the bus (and in Port Townsend),
Emma Lee
(and KC King)

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal