collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
She had this [barbecue pit] piled up full of hickory. She comes out with this two gallon can of gasoline & she up-ends this thing over the hickory... As she walks away from the pit she takes a kitchen match, strikes it on her butt, throws it over her shoulder, causes an explosion 30 feet into the air. Then she walked by and said: 'Be ready'n about an hour...' - Steve James, Port Townsend 97

Author Topic: Memphis Minnie's When The Levee Breaks......  (Read 1437 times)

Offline Adam Franklin

Memphis Minnie's When The Levee Breaks......
« on: January 16, 2016, 09:54:59 AM »
I was teaching said song yesterday, reached for my 2 JSP boxsets.......it's not on there..... JSP say "All the published sides", the sets have all the other songs sung by Joe, it's a mystery....

Anyone know why it's not on there?

Offline oddenda

Re: Memphis Minnie's When The Levee Breaks......
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 08:19:14 PM »
Very simply because it was sung by Joe McCoy (lead) and issued as by Kansas Joe & Memphis Minnie. Technically not a Minnie Record at all - as with "Me & My Chauffeur"!

pbl

Offline Adam Franklin

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 12:49:43 AM »
Yes I know, that's my point. The 10 cds have all the other KJ sides, just not that one. It's a mystery.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 01:48:59 AM »
Ever since the 4th Ed of B&GR was published (1997) this has periodically cropped up over time.

The last was about three years ago, but can't recall where. However what I did do was PDF the footnote that accompanied.

Apologies for the poor reproduction but hopefully readable if (to me) unfathomable. 

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 01:00:40 PM »
Yes I know, that's my point. The 10 cds have all the other KJ sides, just not that one. It's a mystery.

There are lots of Kansas Joe sides missing from that first JSP set. Joliet Bound, Pile Driver Blues, 7 or 8 others, all recorded with Minnie.

Edited to add a list of all the Kansas Joe sides that are on the Document Memphis Minnies but not on the JSP set. I haven't looked to see what Little Son Joe stuff is missing yet.

I Want That
That Will Be Alright
When the Levee Breaks
I?m Wild About My Stuff
My Mary Blues
Cherry Ball Blues
Botherin? That Thing
Pile Drivin? Blues
Beat It Right
Preachers Blues
Shake Mattie
My Wash Woman?s Gone
You Know You Done Me Wrong (2 takes)
Joliet Bound
Stranger?s Blues
I Got to Have a Little More
Someday I?ll Be in the Clay
Evil Devil Woman Blues
Going Back Home Blues
Meat Cutter Blues

All of these tunes would fit before the end of CD C in the JSP set chronologically but they're scattered around -- the first 3 are from their first session. Some excellent tunes here.
Chris
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 01:10:08 PM by banjochris »

Offline Adam Franklin

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 07:26:25 AM »
Thanks Chris, I didn't know so many were missing. Still strange that jsp would include several of her husbands' sides but leave out Levee. I did think it might be due to LZ's version, maybe that made it hard to licence, it's on plenty of cheapo compilations though.

I did find it in the end, on last years blues calendar cd.

Anyone know if it's in an advert or something, 3 students have asked to learn it in the last week.

A.

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 07:32:00 AM »
When the Levy Breaks, and several other titles listed as by Joe McCoy, are on the JSP Mississippi Blues compilation titled...wait for it... When the Levy Breaks.

Wax
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline CF

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 07:56:00 AM »
I was looking at this last week. I see there are impressive versions by Ari E & Del Ray on youtube. They both seem to be doing an open tuning version . . . I thought it sounded like Minnie was playing out of a G position on the recording.
Wow, three students asked to learn 'Levee'. I'm living in the wrong part of the world :/
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 08:59:53 AM »
Minnie is in Spanish on When the Levee Breaks.

Offline Adam Franklin

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 09:25:07 AM »
I was looking at this last week. I see there are impressive versions by Ari E & Del Ray on youtube. They both seem to be doing an open tuning version . . . I thought it sounded like Minnie was playing out of a G position on the recording.
Wow, three students asked to learn 'Levee'. I'm living in the wrong part of the world :/

Del's version is great. Chris is on the money, spanish all the way. Occasionally, Del and I argue about some of MM's positions/tunings. Her left hook is formidable so I usually lose. I'm sure I'm right about 'Killer Diller' (I say spanish, Del says it's out of G) though (Don't tell Del I said that).

A.

Offline CF

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 09:48:26 AM »
Minnie is in Spanish on When the Levee Breaks.
Del's version is great. Chris is on the money, spanish all the way. Occasionally, Del and I argue about some of MM's positions/tunings. Her left hook is formidable so I usually lose. I'm sure I'm right about 'Killer Diller' (I say spanish, Del says it's out of G) though (Don't tell Del I said that).

A.
[/quote]

Thx guys, I'll look again. It was damn hard in G position, that's for sure!  :)
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2016, 10:51:53 AM »
It's not exactly easy in Spanish either!

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal