collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I work too hard, baby, that's why I look so beat. I strain every nerve in my attainments, tryin' to make my poor ends meet - Gabriel Brown, Got No Money Blues

Author Topic: Living HIstory: The stories of Jack Owens and Bud Spires  (Read 1111 times)

Offline endpinjack

• Howdy!
Living HIstory: The stories of Jack Owens and Bud Spires
« on: January 24, 2013, 10:19:55 PM »
I noted the interest in Bud Spires in another post. At Port Townsend in 1996 (the only time I was able to attend) Peter asked me if I would stay with Bud and Jack in their cabin while Patty was away. Which I was pleased to do, and got on well with Bud and Jack for the next four days.

We have an amazing amount of music. But how much do we know of the history, the culture and the personalities that created the music? Something, but not nearly enough. I have met and spoken with some of the legends, but these were brief encounters. So, after breaking the ice, I did everything I could to get Bud and Jack to talk. Which, really, wasn't all that difficult. I was raised in Georgia, and there was a lot of congruence between them and me, with regard to the folklore,  legends
and the language I grew up with. Joint snakes? Coach whip snakes? Indian tobacco, ghosts and legends? Rusty pistols? I grew up with that stuff. Once, as a child, a Yankee asked me to translate what a black man was telling him. Talk about dumb! To me, the man was speaking plain English, with just a slightly different accent.

So we quickly fell into relaxed communication, and it wasn't long before I got the bright idea of recording them (with permission). Stories, jokes, shootings, music, moon shining, parties, feuds and ruffians. Magnificent tales and history, told from a Delta perspective. These men could talk, and they were eloquent. I have about 6 hours on tape. Bud was a very funny man, and Jack was thoughtful and full of insights about the time in which he lived. Jack had memories of times extending back into the early 20's, and the history of the early Mississippi Delta came vividly alive.

What am I to do with these tapes? Well, I want to share them. When I have them dubbed to a CD format, I will send them to Port Townsend for the archives. But I would also like to "market" them. If people will buy them I would like for any profits to go toward the relief of retired musicians like Bud. I have talked of them and played the tapes for several people in "the business", but failed to excite much interest. But I think there are people on this forum who understand the value of these recordings, (they are also vastly entertaining) and I think there would be a limited market for them. Especially (sad to say) in Europe. I invite suggestions.

I most likely won't respond if there are individuals who want copies of this material. My efforts will be focused on making it widely available.

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
Re: Living HIstory: The stories of Jack Owens and Bud Spires
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 01:57:28 AM »
If you want to market the material for a good cause, maybe you could do this under the auspices of the Music Maker Relief Foundation?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Offline yogi

• yogi
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 02:43:01 AM »
Yes, the Music Maker Relief Foundation sounds like the place. Btw, have you made a transcription of the tapes?

Yogi

Offline endpinjack

• Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 07:49:37 AM »
The Music Maker Relief Foundation is an excellent suggestion. Thank You, EPJ 

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 08:32:18 AM »
I would see if Smithsonian Folkways might be interested in distributing them. That way you make them available at the same time as they enter the Smithsonian as part of the record, no pun intended. I don't have any idea as to the feasibility of this idea but its probably worth looking into.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline JohnLeePimp

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 03:33:10 AM »
It's a shame that stuff like this and Wardlow's book are seen as having no commercial value when there's some much crap for sale everywhere you look

I would suggest the BBC but likely they'd only be interested in footage - still send me a PM if you need contact details
...so blue I shade a part of this town.

Offline Chezztone

• Hey!
    • Steve Cheseborough 1920s-30s-style blues
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 12:22:45 AM »
endpinjack -- I tried contacting you by private message last week. In case you didn't get it or don't use that email address anymore or something, but happen to see this: please email me, chezztone AT gmail. I have some ideas for your Owens-Spires recordings I want to talk with you about! Thanks. Sincerely, Steve Cheseborough

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal