collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

The colored folks been singing it and playing it just like I'm doing now, man, for more years than I know. They played it like that in the shanties and in their juke joints, and nobody paid it no mind 'til I goosed it up. I got it from them. Down in Tupelo, Mississippi, I used to hear old Arthur Crudup bang his box the way I do now, and I said if I ever got to the place where I could feel all old Arthur felt, I'd be a music man like nobody ever saw - Elvis Presley, 1956, Last Train to Memphis

Author Topic: Who's Been Talking - Quote Drive 2013  (Read 4670 times)

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Re: Who's Been Talking - Quote Drive 2013
« Reply #75 on: September 22, 2013, 05:59:56 PM »
Surface noise is our competitive edge - Slack re. the juke versus iTunes Radio

Offline frailer24

• Good Mornin', Judge
« Reply #76 on: September 24, 2013, 11:13:39 AM »
"Nobody else will play 'whupped' 78's" - Slack re. WeenieJuke.
That's all she wrote Mabel!

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2013, 03:15:50 PM »
* * * Updated * * *

While defarkling I added the recent quotes to the oracle for a total of 995, so just 5 more to hit four figures. So who wants it?

Thanks to all the quote providers.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2013, 07:00:14 PM »
These things that have come down orally over the centuries had to be the cream of the crop, or they'd have died out a long time ago - Almeda Riddle, quoted in The Southern Journey of Alan Lomax - Words, Photographs and Music, by Tom Piazza, LoC 2013

I shall never forget the first sight I had of Fred in his dungarees, carrying his guitar and walking out of the woods toward us in a Mississippi night - Shirley Collins, quoted in The Southern Journey of Alan Lomax - Words, Photographs and Music, by Tom Piazza, LoC 2013

When he performed his 61 Highway Blues for Lomax, the folklorist wrote a single word beside the entry in his field log: "Perfect." - The Southern Journey of Alan Lomax - Words, Photographs and Music, by Tom Piazza, LoC 2013

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2013, 05:49:17 PM »
"Chinatown! They got the best ol' food they ever had in Chinatown!"  Leadbelly     from Fredric Ramsey Jr's. liner notes to the last sessions records
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline JohnLeePimp

« Reply #80 on: October 16, 2013, 06:16:34 AM »
He could preach too... But he was blind... and a woman leads him around...

James Truesdale - On Blind Willie Johnson
...so blue I shade a part of this town.

Offline jphauser

• Howdy!
« Reply #81 on: October 29, 2013, 12:35:29 PM »
Now if you evuh wanna call up de Devil, don't furgit dat he gonna test you out good an' dat he ain't gonna show up de first Sunday you goes out to de forks of de road an' calls 'im; he ain't gonna show up no sooner'n de third time you calls 'im an' maybe not den. 

from "Jim Finn on Calling Up the Devil" in J. Mason Brewer's American Negro Folklore

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #82 on: November 06, 2013, 01:41:46 PM »

"Now, said, once ain't forever, baby, two times ain't but twice"--Brownsville Son Bonds, "Weary Worried Blues"

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #83 on: November 09, 2013, 09:56:20 AM »
These are from John Szwed's biography of Alan Lomax, The Man Who Recorded the World. Highly recommended.

Ed Perl, the founder of the Ash Grove on Melrose in West Los Angeles, the center of the folk revival in L.A., recalls Alan's coming in the club while Bill Monroe and the Bluegrass Boys were appearing. He walked straight up to the stage, and after the second number he asked Monroe where he got the song he'd just played. "I was shocked," Perl said. "Nobody ever did that, let alone to God. Bill responded, 'Is that you Alan?' and they proceeded to talk about and demonstrate the influence of black music on Bill and bluegrass."  - from Alan Lomax, The Man Who Recorded the World, by John Szwed

Further, Handy could not play jazz, Morton said, as he was unable to execute "plenty of figure work in the groove ability, great improvisations, accurate, exciting tempos with a kick" - from Alan Lomax, The Man Who Recorded the World, by John Szwed

When Alan posed the question "What are the blues? What do they mean to you?" the answers were in part something he sought for himself, to understand this musical form that may have been as ancient as the griots in West Africa, or perhaps as recent as the automobile, the airplane, and the phonograph (all of which made guest appearances in the blues). The blues had become a craze, like ragtime, which grew up alongside it, and it leaped from the bottom of the social order to the Astors and the Vanderbilts, who staged blues contests for their own amusement well before the rest of white America came to know them - from Alan Lomax, The Man Who Recorded the World, by John Szwed

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #84 on: November 10, 2013, 07:36:52 PM »
From discussions elsewhere on the forum I couldn't resist this quote:

William Grant, [born in 1908], was born near Pittsview, Alabama...He was given a harmonica one Christmas, and he says he learned how to play it while sitting on a plow in the fields. 'I played at parties in the countries,' he said. 'I used to pick guitar, but I come to religion and I put the guitar down. I promised the Lord I wouldn't fool with a guitar no more, but I didn't promise Him I wouldn't fool with a harp. I always keep a harp' - George Mitchell, from In Celebration of a Legacy: The Traditional Arts of the Lower Chattahoochee Valley http://southernspaces.org/2004/blues-lower-chattahoochee-valley
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 07:38:00 PM by Rivers »

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #85 on: November 18, 2013, 09:31:35 PM »
If it's worth doing well, it's worth doing poorly, first - Joel Salatin

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #86 on: November 26, 2013, 07:32:48 PM »
The rough side of the mountain is the best side to be on. Because, on the slick side, if you slip, you gonna fall all the way down. But on the rough side, there's a ledge here, so if I slip up, I got something to hold on to. Ha ha! - Doctor G B Burt, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16662606

Cheers to JLP for posting this in another thread.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #87 on: January 04, 2014, 07:48:22 AM »
I've closed this one and started the new quote thread for 2014

Many thanks for contributing everyone.

Tags: quotes 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal