collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

That's a dirty song, I better stop there, that's too dirty, that's a dirty song, that's that Rollin' Stone - Scott Dunbar cracks himself up in Sweet Mama Rollin' Stone

Author Topic: A Generation of Players Lost  (Read 843 times)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
A Generation of Players Lost
« on: September 10, 2012, 08:19:29 AM »
Hi all,
I've been surfing around on YouTube a lot lately, and it has occurred to me that one factor which had a huge effect, I think, in harming the vitality of electric blues is the heavy attrition through early, untimely death, of many of the most vital and exciting players of the '60s and 70's.  Freddie King, Magic Sam, Earl Hooker, Juke Boy Bonner, Otis Spann, and probably several other youngish musicians that I haven't thought of passed away before even reaching middle age.  Of the group I've named, I was fortunate enough to see Freddie King and Magic Sam (Sam more than once), and the loss of musicians of that caliber is felt in the music for a long time. 
All best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 10:04:50 PM by Johnm »

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
Re: A Generation of Players Lost
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 08:26:19 AM »
One of the most exciting urban bluesmen I saw a couple of times in London was JB Hutto who also passed away at far too young an age.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 09:50:48 AM »
I agree, Michael, J. B. was a wonderful screamy singer and an exciting slide player.  He actually lived in Seattle for a few years before I moved to the West coast.  I remember reading he was from South Carolina originally, unusual for a Chicago Blues player, I think.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 11:05:07 AM »
I saw J.B. and his band The Hawks at a club down in Pioneer Square in 1978. What a showman! He wore a fez and during the some of his songs would hold up his index finger to emphasize the point that was being made as he sang the lyrics. Absolutely great.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 11:43:38 AM »
From memory Spann, Hooker and Sam all died in 1970 within months of each other. There was one issue of Blues Unlimited which carried obits for all three.  Lonnie Johnson also departed around then but he'd had a fairish innings. Another JB, Lenoir, was under forty when he died in 1967.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 12:02:52 PM »
Ugh, I had forgotten about J. B. Lenoir.  You're right, Bunker Hill, the loss of him was really hard to take, and even harder in retrospect.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 03:21:41 PM »
I had the good fortune to open for Freddie King in 73 or 4. He was a killer player and an extremely nice man
..finger picker too! I was shocked when he went out so early since he was the very picture of larger than life, robust health.
But we're all cobbled together with delicate tissue and all it takes is a small tear in one of them......maybe one day we'll all be "replumbed"
With plastic tubing......
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 03:23:45 PM »
We also lost Elmore James and Little Walter too young.

My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal