collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I worked on doctor shows, I used to play for doctors one time. I'd say, 'What did the rooster say to the hen?' Ask the doctor that. Then I'd sing a little song. Then I'd fix on one of them gals out in front and I'd sing a little blues - Bo Carter

Author Topic: Honeboy Edwards is retiring  (Read 2136 times)

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
Honeboy Edwards is retiring
« on: July 17, 2011, 11:31:38 AM »
From the Blindman's Blues Forum via Hawkeye Herman:

"Honeyboy Edwards has retired, due to ongoing health issues.
Send him a get well note to mfrank@earwigmusic.com"
- posted on FaceBook.com by Michael Frank/Earwig Records/Honeyboy's longtime manager/harp player/ good friend.

"Manager Michael Frank has made it official that Honeyboy Edwards is retiring. He is truly the last of the pre-war musicians and he brought authentic blues to thousands of fans who saw him over the years. Here's wishing him good health, long life and our thanks for both the music and the memories . . ." - Dick Waterman

Wishing a happy and a well deserved retirement for Mr. Edwards!

Pan

Offline Bunker Hill

Re: Honeboy Edwards is retiring
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 12:05:22 PM »
Wishing a happy and a well deserved retirement for Mr. Edwards!
Pan
ABSOLUTELY. He's certainly had an impressive recording career.

http://www.wirz.de/music/edwhfrm.htm

Offline misterjones

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 03:26:56 PM »
The last of the pre-war bluesmen.  I'm glad I saw him perform.  If Manager Michael Frank is that creepy guy who tried to play harmonica with him, I at least hope this marks his retirement, as well.

Hey Honeyboy.  How about one last videotaped performance for posterity . . . WITHOUT Manager Michael Frank?

Offline Stumblin

• Got the Blues, can't be satisfied
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 03:48:58 PM »
Well, I guess Honeyboy will appreciate a bit of a rest, it seems he's been unwell. I don't know the nature of his illness and I suppose that ain't nobody's dirty business but his.
However, he once gave me a right telling off. I hope he'll be able to take things easy for some time to come. I've always enjoyed our little post-gig "approach the bluesman & get your merch signed" encounters.
Actually, the first encounter, which included the dressing down, happened way back when there was very little of that merch queue signing business, I just got really drunk & staggered backstage to talk to Honeyboy.
He saw this drunk white guy falling towards him.
Tune in tomorrow, when I will be more inclined towards typing than I feel right now, for the next thrilling episode.

Offline LB

• Ga
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 04:20:17 PM »
Like Mr Frank Edwards used to sing "Wont be no more" and that's so true in this case. What a man, what a career! He's still ahead of his time even now.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 04:21:21 PM by LittleBrother »

Offline jostber

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 08:34:54 AM »
If there is a man who ever deserved a lifetime achievement award it must by Honeyboy!

http://www.davidhoneyboyedwards.com/

Happy retirement and relaxing days ahead for this major blues artist.

His recordings on this Flyright album is a special favorite of mine:

http://www.wirz.de/music/flyright/grafik/541b4.jpg

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 11:58:12 AM »
As has been pointed out elsewhere, without Michael Frank, it's doubtful Honeyboy would have been able to do much performing or make much of a living doing it. When I met him he seemed like an OK guy to me, not "creepy". Seemed like a manager looking out for, and showing a lot of respect for, his talent. So you didn't like his harp playing.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 12:01:57 PM by uncle bud »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 01:13:10 PM »
Hi all,
I'm glad to hear Honeyboy has retired.  God knows he has more than earned some time off from playing music for a living.  It's depressing when musicians die in harness.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 02:14:55 PM »
Glad i got to see & hear him. I wish him all the best.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline misterjones

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 02:31:11 PM »
As has been pointed out elsewhere, without Michael Frank, it's doubtful Honeyboy would have been able to do much performing or make much of a living doing it. When I met him he seemed like an OK guy to me, not "creepy". Seemed like a manager looking out for, and showing a lot of respect for, his talent. So you didn't like his harp playing.

It is possible to manage a legendary blues artist and not insist on performing with him.  Certainly Frank wasn't the reason anyone bought tickets to see Honeyboy.  ("Hey gang, Michael Frank's down at B.B. King's playing harmonica!  Let's go see him.  Wait a second.  Who's this Honeyboy Edwards guy?")  If Mr. Frank needed an ego boost, he could have performed a couple numbers with him.  I mean, some folk in the audience probably could have used a mid-set bathroom break.  I think more than a couple numbers is disrespectful of a man of Honeyboy's stature.  But egos aside, he ruined the performance.  I can only say I saw Honeyboy perform and was able to hear bits and pieces of his artistry through the squealings of Harmonica Frank.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 02:33:25 PM by misterjones »

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 04:04:03 PM »
It is possible to manage a legendary blues artist and not insist on performing with him.

Yes, it is.  But often it's not as much a question of "insisting" as it is of necessarily easing the burden a bit - a subtle reminder of what comes next, or of a lyric, when to wind up the show, or some such.  Or filling out the sound when the older artist is no longer capable of all he could have done 20 years earlier.  I've seen it in my lifetime with a classical guitar player, a folk banjo player, and a bluegrass singer as well as with a few blues players.  The onstage helper was not always to my taste, but I have to say that I've always understood and appreciated the (usually) subtle and respectful help provided.  Even at its worst, it's much better than seeing an older artist totally lost onstage.

And I have to say that if most of the audience leaves thinking "Why was that young guy on the stage?" rather than "That old guy shouldn't be onstage anymore", then the young guy has probably performed his task pretty well.

Offline misterjones

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 06:35:19 PM »
Point well taken.  You might be right, and it has occurred to me that Honeyboy preferred it that way.  Someone noted being sent packing by a brusque Honeyboy backstage, so his sidekick might have shouldered the task of dealing with the audience; a task Honeyboy might not have been inclined to perform on his own.  I still would have liked to see Honeyboy do a couple of solo numbers, even with his manager sitting and watching.

Now what would be Honeyboy's best?  I must admit I only have some (perhaps all) of his LOC recordings.  Other than those, did he have any classic early sides (even if they were post-war)?

Offline mr mando

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 01:01:46 AM »
Now what would be Honeyboy's best? 

His "best" I don't know, but I personally like his LPs on Trix "I've Been Around" and Folkways "Mississippi Delta Bluesman" a lot.

Offline LD50

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 05:40:18 AM »
Now what would be Honeyboy's best? 

His "best" I don't know, but I personally like his LPs on Trix "I've Been Around" and Folkways "Mississippi Delta Bluesman" a lot.

His stray '50's recordings are superb, too, tho I don't think they've ever all been collected anywhere. Specifically I'm thinking of his Sun version of Sweet Home Chicago and his Chess recording of Drop Down Mama.

Offline jostber

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 08:44:58 AM »
Has anyone heard the Testament recordings from the late 60's produced by the always reliable Pete Welding?

http://www.wirz.de/music/edwardsh.htm

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal