collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I'd stand on the corner and wave my hand. Sayin' if you don't believe that I'm a drinking man, baby stop by here with your beer can - Robert Wilkins, Jim Canan's

Author Topic: Rev. Wilkins "The Prodigal Son"On CD?  (Read 3282 times)

Offline Ron Mack

Rev. Wilkins "The Prodigal Son"On CD?
« on: January 13, 2010, 12:15:57 PM »
Happy belated New year to all,

Can someone tell me what cd "The Prodigal Son" is on by The Rev. Robert Wilkins, and where I can purchase It? I never heard the track. I Checked Rhapsody, itunes and youtube to no avail. One good version that I was able to find and hear is the Rolling Stones cover which is pretty good. I also watched a video performance of The Rev. John Wilkins, but I would like to hear the original. thanks

R.M.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 02:18:58 PM by Johnm »

Offline LD50

Re: Rev. Wilkins "The Podigal Son"On CD?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 12:27:23 PM »
There was a discussion about this at the Blindman's last fall. Short answer, Wilkins' old Piedmont LP has never been issued on CD anywhere in any form, tho Andy Cohen is reputedly on the verge of putting out an expanded CD of Wilkins' postwar recordings some time soon.

I was actually thinking of asking about that: can someone here who knows Andy ask him what the status of the CD is?

Offline unezrider

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 12:28:08 PM »
hello friend,
you'll find it on the yazoo robert wilkins release, 'the original rolling stone'. it's called "that's no way to get along". it's also in open d tuning if you're a guitar guy, by the way.
chris
"Be good, & you will be lonesome." -Mark Twain

Offline LD50

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 12:36:50 PM »
I think he meant the 60s recording titled 'The Prodigal Son', which was on Wilkins' LP Memphis Gospel Singer.

Here's the version I've owned since 1986 or so:

http://www.wirz.de/music/wilkins/grafik/ojl80524.jpg

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 12:40:00 PM »
There was a discussion about this at the Blindman's last fall. Short answer, Wilkins' old Piedmont LP has never been issued on CD anywhere in any form, tho Andy Cohen is reputedly on the verge of putting out an expanded CD of Wilkins' postwar recordings some time soon.

I was actually thinking of asking about that: can someone here who knows Andy ask him what the status of the CD is?
Can't speak for Blindman but I did just that some while back see http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?amp;Itemid=60&topic=4735.0  and also check out the TAGS for related Wilkins discussions.

Offline Bob B

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 01:05:00 PM »
Prodigal Son is available on Blues at Newport on the Vanguard label.  These are recordings from the festival from 1959-1964.  Also included on this CD are Mississippi John Hurt, Rev. Gary Davis, Brownie and Sonny, and others.  Prodigal Son is a 91/2 minute excursion with Rev. Wilkins.

Regards

Bob

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 01:05:25 PM »
Happy belated New year to all,

Can someone tell me what cd "The Prodigal Son" is on by The Rev. Robert Wilkins, and where I can purchase It? I never heard the track. I Checked Rhapsody, itunes and youtube to no avail. One good version that I was able to find and hear is the Rolling Stones cover which is pretty good. I also watched a video performance of The Rev. John Wilkins, but I would like to hear the original. thanks

R.M.

The original Piedmont track is on Weenie Juke.  Go to playlists and do a search for "Prodigal Son" and request it - it will take the track about an hour to show up, due to DMCA rules.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 01:08:16 PM »
...Can someone tell me what cd "The Prodigal Son" is on by The Rev. Robert Wilkins, and where I can purchase It?...

Hi Ron:

As I mentioned in the other thread, I have both the Piedmont LP and "Blues At Newport 1964." Since it may still be a while before Andy's CD is available, I recommend that you snag a copy of the "Blues at Newport: 1964." There are several "used--VG" or "used--like new" copies available at the Amazon Marketplace site, some for under $10 (+ $3 S&H). The Piedmont take and the Newport take are not identical, but they are pretty darn close.

Offline NotRevGDavis

• "Hat on a cabbage head- I've never seen before"
Re: Rev. Wilkins "The Prodigal Son"On CD?
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 01:31:48 PM »
Hey everyone it's been awhile!
I've got the album "Prodigal Son" on my iPod and the song is listed as "That's No Way to Get Along(Prodigal Son)", the performer is listed as Robert Wilkins not Reverend Robert Wilkins so this may be why you are having a problem locating it electronically. I'll dig up the cd when I get home and give you more info if you need it.
I'm also going to suggest "Remember Me" by Reverend Robert Wilkins no Prodigal Son but once you start listening to it you're gonna want to get right with somebody.
I can see if I can find the cd's if you would like.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 01:38:01 PM by NotRevGDavis »
Got the name, still workin' on the licks!

Offline Ron Mack

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 01:53:28 PM »
hello friend,
you'll find it on the yazoo robert wilkins release, 'the original rolling stone'. it's called "that's no way to get along". it's also in open d tuning if you're a guitar guy, by the way.
chris

Thanks to everyone for you quick responses.

unezrider, I purchased an mp3 of "That's No Way To Get Along" some time ago. I also have "The Guitar Of Robert Wilkins" Taught by John Miller, which is excellent. When I heard the covers of "The Prodigal Son",  I wanted to learn to play It. I know that It's similar to "That no way to get along" but would like to use the original as a point of reference so that I can put together an arrangement.

Slack, I'll give the Juke box a listen. Thanks again to all.

Offline Ron Mack

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 02:08:43 PM »
Hey everyone it's been awhile!
I've got the album "Prodigal Son" on my iPod and the song is listed as "That's No Way to Get Along(Prodigal Son)", the performer is listed as Robert Wilkins not Reverend Robert Wilkins so this may be why you are having a problem locating it electronically. I'll dig up the cd when I get home and give you more info if you need it.
I'm also going to suggest "Remember Me" by Reverend Robert Wilkins no Prodigal Son but once you start listening to it you're gonna want to get right with somebody.
I can see if I can find the cd's if you would like.

That would be great. Cd bay has It listed as unavailable and listed as "that no way... (prodigal son)" Thanks NotRevGDavis. I'm off to the juke box.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 02:28:44 PM »
Hi Ron,
I would advise getting the "Live at Newport" recording that Bob B and Stuart cited.  I think it is stronger than the version on the old Piedmont album (though they are both great).  The "in performance" version just has a bit more juice.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Ron Mack

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 07:46:31 PM »
Hi Ron,
I would advise getting the "Live at Newport" recording that Bob B and Stuart cited.  I think it is stronger than the version on the old Piedmont album (though they are both great).  The "in performance" version just has a bit more juice.
All best,
Johnm

Hi John.
I'll probably get both Thanks.

R.M.

Offline LD50

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 12:36:03 PM »
A wise idea. The Piedmont LP has tracks that aren't anywhere else, such as the gorgeous slide guitar instrumental Thank You Jesus.

Offline jostber

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 08:37:15 AM »

Tags: Robert Wilkins 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal