collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I got a cigar box, I cut a hole in the top, put a board and nail it on there. And I taken four nails, put wire on 'em from a screen door for strings. I couldn't play it, but I rapped the sides, hootin' and hollerin'. I thought I was doin' something you know. - Furry Lewis recalls his first guitar

Author Topic: Quote Drive 2007  (Read 14275 times)

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Re: Quote Drive 2007
« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2007, 12:04:35 PM »
Sorry CS, the Quote Oracle is omnipotent and we have no idea where these quotes come from.

:D

Offline mr mando

« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2007, 06:22:18 AM »
"Haven't you heard, the older the buck the stiffer the horn." - Yank Rachell, during one of his later hospitalizations, amourously cornering a nurse. As quoted in "Blues Mandolin Man".

mississippijohnhurt1928

« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2007, 04:05:57 PM »
"Haven't you heard, the older the buck the stiffer the horn." - Yank Rachell, during one of his later hospitalizations, amourously cornering a nurse. As quoted in "Blues Mandolin Man".

I just read that book!

I think that was a line he used on some woman who was a member of the Indiana Blues Society.

Offline Coyote Slim

• coyoteslim.com
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2007, 04:27:19 PM »
Sorry CS, the Quote Oracle is omnipotent and we have no idea where these quotes come from.

:D

That's a good one in of itself.
Puttin' on my Carrhartts, I gotta work out in the field.

Coyote Slim's Youtube Channel

Offline Great Bear

• Howdy!
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2007, 04:13:25 AM »
This quote is taken from Josh White - Live! (ABC-Paramount 407), but according to Stacy Williams' notes was originally featured in the July, 1961 issue of "33 Guide".

"In 1950, Mrs. [Franklin D.] Roosevelt took Josh on a concert tour of Europe. In England, Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Scotland, he sang to sell-out crowds. Fifty thousand people showed up for one concert in Stockholm and at an Ambassador's party on Copenhagen; even the King of Denmark sat on the floor and joined in singing spirituals. In England, Princess Margaret asked Josh to sing Don't Smoke In Bed." - Peter Rachtman, July, 1961 issue of 33 Guide, on Josh White's earlier visits to Europe.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2007, 05:02:42 PM »
I hate to see the rising sun go down - Furry Lewis, St. Louis Blues

mississippijohnhurt1928

« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2007, 05:05:43 PM »
"Little girl, I'll turn your money green
I'll give you more dollars tha Rockefeller ever seen."

-Furry Lewis

Offline Great Bear

• Howdy!
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2007, 06:26:08 AM »
Here are two more quotes from Giles Oakley's The Devil's Music, regarding the early development of boogie-woogie:

"I would say that Boogie-Woogie was the bad little boy of the rag family who wouldn't study. I heard crude beginnings of it in the back streets of New Orleans, in those early years following 1904, but they were really back streets...such music never got played in 'gilded palaces'." - Roy Carew

"He had a left hand like God. He didn't know what key he was playing in, but he played them all. He could play the ragtime stride bass, but it bothered him because his stomach got in the way of his arm, so he used a walking bass instead. I can remember when I was thirteen - this was 1896 - how Turk would play one note with his right hand and at the same time four with his left. We called it 'sixteen' - they called it boogie-woogie." - Eubie Blake remembering William Turk

Offline Coyote Slim

• coyoteslim.com
« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2007, 12:06:39 PM »
"...I know I ain't common 'cause I've got class I ain't even used yet." -- Louis Jordan "Open the Door, Richard."

Offline Coyote Slim

• coyoteslim.com
« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2007, 09:16:02 PM »
"My bull's in a pasture where there's no grass
...every minute seems like it gonna be my last"

Charley Patton, "Jersey Bull Blues"

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2007, 05:28:47 PM »
* * *   U p d a t e d   * * *

Added 35 new quotes. Thanks all, please keep them coming.

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2007, 08:24:25 AM »

I mean, when you think about it, old blues men are always old, right?

--Jerry Ricks

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2007, 04:20:00 PM »
The music industry is not all Grammy smiles and glitter; its closet is a veritable graveyard of skeletons, and when record companies point their collective finger at dot.coms like Napster and yell "Foul!" a hollow ring is heard by the thousands of artists who for decades have been unscrupulously short-changed by some of these very same finger-pointers - Chris Albertson, author's note in Bessie, 2nd ed.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2007, 05:35:44 PM »
OK Rivers - as long as we are getting heavy.  Even though it is a famous quote - it is a good one. :)

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #74 on: September 24, 2007, 07:28:43 PM »
She said "look'a here daddy, don't you raise no sand. I don't ask you 'bout no woman, don't ask me 'bout my man" - Mance Lipscomb, Meet Me In The Bottom, Arhoolie Texas Songster #4, Live at The Cabale
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 07:42:53 PM by Rivers »

Tags: quotes 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal