collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music - Albert Einstein

Author Topic: Henry Johnson lyrics  (Read 4912 times)

slim

Henry Johnson lyrics
« on: November 23, 2005, 11:34:56 AM »
Hi there,
Can anyone help me find out lyrics and tabs
of Henry Johnson's Little Sally Jones and Crow Jane.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: Henry Johnson lyrics
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2005, 12:05:02 PM »
Henry Johnson is pretty obscure, so I doubt you'll have much luck finding either, but hey who knows. For lyrics, feel free to post what you've deciphered so far and the rest of us can try to help out. His singing is pretty clear so it shouldn't be hard. As for tab, both tunes sound like they're played out of an E position to me. Crow Jane certainly follows the harmonic structure of the usual arrangements (search on 8 bar blues and Key to the Highway in the Forum), so once you get those chord shapes, you can work on the riffs.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 08:34:59 AM »
Henry Johnson is pretty obscure, so I doubt you'll have much luck finding either, but hey who knows. For lyrics, feel free to post what you've deciphered so far and the rest of us can try to help out. His singing is pretty clear so it shouldn't be hard. As for tab, both tunes sound like they're played out of an E position to me. Crow Jane certainly follows the harmonic structure of the usual arrangements (search on 8 bar blues and Key to the Highway in the Forum), so once you get those chord shapes, you can work on the riffs.
Apologies for showing my ignorance but we are obviously not talking about the pre-war Henry Johnson (and his boys) so can only assume it's the one recorded by Pete Lowry. I have a Flyright 45 of Crow Jane recorded "live" at University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill 31 March 1973. Is it this artist?

slim

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005, 03:51:57 AM »
That's the artist, and the album is contributed by Pete Lowry.
But the album is "The Union County Flash".
It's recorded in Jonesville,S.C. in 1972,
and it features Peg Leg Sam on some numbers.
He was supposed to be a great piano player to, but i never
heard any of these recordings
Maybe some of you weenies know.
Anyhow,I don't think he sounds obscure.
Infact, he's got that 'lonely on the road kind'a blues' with a deep
hard voice, just what i like,
This man is awesome.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2005, 05:02:33 AM »
Don't know how this session discography will display itself but fwiw:

V/g.? ? Union, South Carolina, 10 Nov 1972
475      My baby's house   ? ? ? ? ?Trix LP/CD 3304
476      Join the army   ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?~
478      Crow Jane   ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ~
479      Rufe's impromtu rag [inst]   ? ? ?? ?~
480      The sign of the judgement   ? ? ?? ?~

V/g.? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Union, South Carolina, 9 Dec 1972
588      Old home town   ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?? ?Trix LP/CD 3304
589      Be glad when you're dead   ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ~
593      My Mother's grave will be found   ? ? ? ? ~
596      John Henry   ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?~
597      Who's going home with you   ? ? ? ? ? ? ?? ~

V/g with Peg Leg Sam, hca -1. Jonesville, SC, 11 Dec 1972
602      Boogie baby -1   ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Trix LP/CD 3304
604      My Dog's Blue -1   ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ~
606      Little Sally Jones   ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?~
(Above recorded by Pete Lowry)

V/g.? ? ? Union County, South Carolina, Jan 1973
   Rock tonight baby   ? ? ? ? ? ?? ? ? ?Flyright (E) LP 528
   Can't keep from cryin'   ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?? ? ?~

V/g.
"live", University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, 31 Mar 1973
Crow Jane   ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Flyright (E) LP 505   
My Mother's grave must be found   ? ? ? ?~
Hey, Noah   ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?? ~
Had a little woman   ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?? ?~
Union County slide [inst]   ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?~
Step it up & went   ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?? ~
Me & my dog   ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ~
Sittin' down thinkin'   ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ~
Crow Jane   ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ~, [45]002
Until I found the Lord   ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?~, [45]002

Kip Lornell wrote a lenthy feature about him and Peg Leg Sam - ?Peg Pete And His Pals? in Living Blues11 (Winter 1972/1973). Johnson died in February 1974

Offline Stefan Wirz

• Tach-chen!
    • 'American Music'
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005, 10:43:20 AM »
since I had most of the info about Henry 'Rufe' Johnson in my Trix and Flyright discographies, it wasn't too much work putting together a HJ discography. Can be found at http://www.wirz.de/music/johnsonh.htm
As always, any additions are very much appreciated (how about a complete track list for Flyright LP 505 or a scan of its cover(s) ;-)
Stefan

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 01:59:20 AM »
In the sleeve notes to the original LP, Pete Lowry commented that Johnson (known to all as "Rufe")  had mentioned to him that "Little Sally Jones" was a Blind Blake song.  However he (Lowry) was unable to place it.  I wrote to him, expecting to be the 500th person pointing out it was a version of Blake's 1928 recording, "Low Down Loving Gal", in which he does in fact refer to a "Little Sally Jones".  I also said how much I enjoyed the album and queried the use of a National for fingerpicking pieces that would doubtless (to my ears) have sounded better on a wooden-bodied guitar.  I have just found Pete Lowry's reply (undated, but I guess around mid-1970s) which I quote below:

"Dear Michael,

Glad you liked the album, but the choice of guitars was Rufe's - he's one of the first to prefer the National to the Gibson.  His slide-work is on his electric, a funky cheapo.  A next album will be slow, as Henry died in Feb. of chronic heart and kidney troubles, something I was not aware of - there will be a second one some day, but there are other living ... catch Willie Trice or Guitar Shorty out now.

On guitars, I now stick to six or so ... two Gibson SJs, one with a narrow, 'jazz' neck... one National, vintage '39... a couple of electrics, a Gibson 335 and a hollow-body Silvertone, ca. '48... often a horrible 12-string or a National Hawaiian.  The capper is that I cannot play at all, but I'm a demon in tuning the buggers!  Useful, that!  The reasons are two-fold: first is the fact that artists may not even have one, or it's pretty ratty - mine record well.  Second is the different sound qualities inherent in the different types.  I don't care how good a man is, I usually feel that a whole album with one man and one guitar can sound samey.

Also, you were only the second to point out the Blake title. Thanks."

I really agree with Pete Lowry's comment on having the same guitar throughout an album and much prefer it where different guitars are used to create different sounds, moods, etc.

Michael
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 10:50:47 AM »
Hi all,
There are lots of great versions of "Crow Jane", but Henry "Rufe" Johnson's, from his "The Union County Flash!" album on Trix, is epic in scope.  His playing, in E standard tuning as is usual for the song, is sensational and quite varied over the course of the piece.  He goes long in his second solo and starts his final solo on the IV chord.  Here goes, and as usual, I could use some help with the bent-bracketed passage.

Crow Jane, Crow Jane, what make you hold your head so high?
   Says, you must remember, boy, you got to lay down and die

Said, I went to the church and I fell down on my knees
   And I asked the good Lord, "Just forgive me, Lord, if you please."

If the blues was whiskey, baby, I'd stay drunk all the time
   Says, I would go crazy but I can't afford to lose my mind

I used to have a little woman, I love her for my own
   And when she got away, boy, I say, she done left my home

I looked up at the moon and the moon was shining bright
   Say, I can't get no competition from my baby at night

Gonna buy me a bulldog, honey, just to watch Shine while he sleep
   Just to keep my baby from makin' her midnight creep

Oh yeah! (spoken)

SOLO

My mama, she's in heaven, ah, she talkin' with the Lord
   And her son down here bein' treated like a dog

"Hey captain, what's your [whup team] name?"
   "Some call 'im Bad-Eye Stetson, but I call him Stavin' Chain."

I used to have a little woman, ah, she was good to me
   And when I saw you, baby, and I walked off, don't you see?

Hey blues, stay away from my door
   Ah, when you leave this time hard luck won't come back no more

Umm, hmmm, ummm, hmm, hmm, hmm
   Umm, hmmmm, hmm, hm, hmmm

Says, if I can't sing, baby, I'm gon' moan it out
   My baby all time walkin' 'round with her mouth juked out

Oh yeah! (spoken)

SOLO

Ummm, hmmm, ummmmmmmmmmm
   Umm, umm, ummmmmmmmm

SOLO

Edited, 10/19 to pick up correction from dj

All best,
Johnm

« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 03:55:11 PM by Johnm »

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 02:29:44 PM »
That "hoop team" is a tough one, John!  You've got it close to right phonetically.  All I can suggest is that the first word might be better be written "whoop" or "whup".  That leaves the mystery of the second word.  In the context of the verse and its immediate predecessor, I wonder if Henry J. is talking about some kind of whip or lash used to keep convicts in line. 

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 04:22:03 PM »
Thanks for the help, dj.  I will change it to "whup", as you suggest.  In a chain gang, or at least serious work situation, whupping fits better than basketball!
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 09:59:08 PM »
Hi all,
"Little Sally Jones", as played by Henry Johnson, was in E, standard tuning.  Blind Blake played "Low-Down Lovin' Gal", essentially the same song, as noted earlier in the thread, out of C position in standard tuning.  Henry Johnson's time on this number is beautifully heavy.  The fact that he sings almost the same verse over and over makes me wonder if the song's origins were in Pop music.

I said, listen, folks, to my moan, I'm gonna tell you about little Sally Jones
   Uhhhhh, the hateful lovin' girl of mine
   Well, she's a gal, she plays one pal, that's my kind of gal
   And she had to be that hateful lovin' girl of mine

Listen, folks, one thing I'm gon' say, I ain't gonna be 'round, baby, treated this-a way
   Ahh, talkin' 'bout the hateful lovin' girl of mine
   Well, she's a gal, she loves one pal, and that's my kind of lovin' gal

Listen, folks, one thing I'm gon' say, I can't be 'round here, baby, treated this-a way
   Talkin' about that hateful lovin' girl of mine
   She'a a gal, she plays one pal, and that's my kind of lovin' gal
   And you know she had to be that hateful lovin' girl of mine

SOLO, with humming
   She had to be that hateful lovin' girl of mine

Ah, listen, folks, to my moan, I'm talkin' about my little Sally Jones
   Wuh, that hateful lovin' girl of mine
   She is a gal, she plays one pal, that's my kind of lovin' gal
   And man, you know, she had to be that hateful lovin' (guitar finishes line)

Oh yeah! (spoken)
   SOLO

Now, listen, folks, I got to moan, talkin' about little Sally Jones
   Ahhh, the hateful lovin' girl of mine
   She's a gal, I declare she plays one pal, that's my kind of lovin' gal

SOLO

All best,
Johnm

« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 03:56:00 PM by Johnm »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 09:01:01 AM »
Hi all,
I posted this recently over in the John Henry thread, but I thought that since Henry Johnson had relatively few titles recorded I'd post it here as well, where the rest of his song's lyrics will reside.
All best,
Johnm

John Henry--Henry "Rufe" Johnson

SUNG: John Henry, he was a little bitty boy, settin' on his mama's knees
The last thing I heard that poor boy say, he says,
"The women'll be the death o' -------
Uh, he said, "The women'll be the ------
He say, ?The women?ll be the death o? me?, he said,
?The women?ll be the? ----------

SPOKEN:  You know, one day, you know, I was walkin? out on the railroad there down where John Henry lived, he lived down in a little old shack down on the railroad, you know.  And he had a woman who was named Polly.  And, you know, he was livin? down there for a lo-o-ong time, you know. 

And so, one day, you know, poor John Henry took sick, you know.  And the poor boy had to go to bed.  And so when they had to go to bed, you know, his work stopped.  And 'bout that time, you know, Polly looked over at him, said, "Now listen, darlin', you don't have to worry about your job.", say, "I go up and take your job, oh."  He said, "Okay, old lady,", said,  "Now when you go up there,", said, "Now, don?t try to show out on me, or do I have to get up out of this b-e--d, and show you a trick."

And 'bout that time, you know, they's livin' in a little two-room shack, you know, one part where they sleep and the other 'un where they cook and eat, you know.  And 'bout that time, you know, she switched off into the kitchen in the little old part where they cook and eat at, you know, 'cause he kept his hammers, you know, settin' over in the corner, you know, right side o' the thing what they cook on they called the stove, you know. 

And 'bout that time, you know, when she got over there, she picked among John Henry's hammers, you know, and she got the lightest thing the poor man had, that little light five-pound hammer. And 'bout that time, you know, she puttin' on a show and she come switchin' back through the little old part where they sleep at, you know, and she told him , said,  'Now, listen, daddy," sayin?, "I'm goin' to bein' doin' your work, and I'm gonna take your job over, this mornin'."  He says, "Okay, darlin', don't forget what I told you," said, "Do I have to get up out of this b-e-d and show you a trick?"

She said, "Okay, darlin'", and 'bout that time, you know, you know how women is when they think they got you covered, you know, she switched out of the little old thing what open and shut and called it the door, you know, and 'bout that time she went out there and went switchin' up a rail, walkin' like this, you know, switchin', she thought she had him covered, she said:  (guitar imitates Polly?s switchin). Switchin'!

And 'bout that time, you know, she got up there where she's supposed to go to work at, you know.  And so she forgot about what John Henry had told her, you know.  And so, about that time, you know, she had raised the little old hammer, that little old light five-pound hammer, you know, and when she raised it up, you know, she commenced to hittin' down on the rail like this, you know, just like this, she said:  (guitar plays melody)  Do it, Polly!  Yeah!  Umm hmm!

And 'bout that time, you know, poor John Henry crep' up out the b-e-d and put his shoes on.  And when he crep' up out the bed and put his shoes on, you know, he went in there in the little old part where they cookin' at, they call it the kitchen , you know,
and so he looked over there among his hammers behind the little old thing, they called it the stove, you know, and so he got that big nine, the one he roll off his shoulder, you know.  And so, poor John Henry come out, you know, and then he went out the little old thing what open and shut, and called it the door, you know, and so when he walked out there the poor boy been sick, he went up the rail kind o' limpin', he said:  (guitar imitates limpin?)  Limpin'!

And 'bout that time, you know, he got up there where she was, you know, he said, "Now listen, old lady," say, "I told you, don't try to do that, do it, I have to get up out of this b-e-d and show you a trick."  She say, "Okay, daddy", say, "I just tryin' to get the work done."  He said, "That's all right, you just stand right over there, stand right over there, out of my way, you know."

And 'bout that time, you know, poor John Henry walked up there with that big nine, the one he rolled off his shoulder, and he commenced to hittin' it like this, you know, he said:  (guitar plays melody)  Do it, John Henry!  Yeah!  Umm hmm!

And 'bout that time, he asked her a question:

SUNG:  Who gon' shoe them pretty ---?
   Who goin' to glove your hand?
   Tell me, who gon' kiss them rosy cheeks, baby,?
   Who gonna be your ----?
   Baby, who's gonna ---?
   Baby, who's gonna be your man?
   Baby, who's gonna be -----?

(Laughter)

« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 04:05:07 PM by Johnm »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2016, 12:27:50 PM »
Hi all,
Henry "Rufe" Johnson played "My Mother's Grave Will Be Found" in a lap-style slide in Vestapol, but in the key of the V chord, so that his tonic chord was with a barre at the seventh fret.  It is not all that common for Country Blues players to play slide in a different key than their open tuning; Fred McMullen did it on his version of "Wait and Listen".

INTRO SOLO

Darling, what did Mama say?
Darling, what did Mama say?
Darling, what did Mama say,
When she was, heavenly called away?

SOLO

She said that you must be kind and true
She said you must be kind and true
She said you must be kind and true
And never, never, never go astray

Plant sweet violets on her grave
Plant them violets on her grave