collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

The rough side of the mountain is the best side to be on. Because, on the slick side, if you slip, you gonna fall all the way down. But on the rough side, there's a ledge here, so if I slip up, I got something to hold on to. Ha ha! - Doctor G B Burt, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16662606

Author Topic: playing in A in dropped D  (Read 3108 times)

Offline a2tom

• stickman's got 'em
playing in A in dropped D
« on: June 12, 2005, 05:15:56 AM »
Hey all - I've been messing around with a tune lately that I'm playing in key of A but in dropped D tuning.  I've found this fun - the low D comes in handy and gives a nice effect  when you pick it up as the bass note on the IV chord.  I can still get the E bass on the V chord by just thumbing the 2nd fret 6th string. 

What country blues tunes out there do this?  I bet there must some, probably many, but I don't know any offhand.  I'd like to take a listen to some and hear how different folks used it.  I tried searching WC, but it is hard to search the letters A and D!  I did see in the threads on the Bo Carter G tuning comments that people did the A in dropped D thing, but no specifics.

I'd be especially interested if any of the Texas dead thumb players did this. Mance Lipscomb?  That seems likely to me, but I haven't learned any Mance tunes yet.  This tune I'm messing with was specifically part of my "make the thumb more versatile" campaign - I have been working hard to get my dead thumb going steady (which is more tricky than I would have thought...).  It seemed to naturally fall into this A over dropped D, so I'm wondering...

Thanks,

tom

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Re: playing in A in dropped D
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2005, 11:06:34 AM »
Hi Tom,

If I am remembering right, I think Mance Lipscomb's 'Bout A Spoonful - has a dropped D.

Bo Carters 'Policy Blues' is in dropped D - but key of D (but has a nice descending A part).

I'll keep my ears peeled.

Cheers,
slack

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005, 11:28:52 AM »
Hi Tom and John D.,
You guys are both right.  Dropped D was Mance Lipscomb's preferred tuning for playing in the key of A, and he used it on many tunes, "'Bout A Spoonful", "Goin' Down Slow", "Boogie in A", among others.  It really does bring the change to the IV chord out; that low D note just honks.  Right now I can't think of any other Country Blues players (especially from the pre-War era) who did this.  It is a great sound.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 05:29:44 PM »
Hi all,
Come to find out almost six years later that Lightnin' Hopkins and Carolina Slim (copying Lightnin') both did this.
All best,
Johnm

Offline sustaireblues

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 06:11:34 AM »
Hey John, thanks for bringing this back up, I'd never seen it.
What a great idea, I'm going to go play around with that.

Thanks,
Joe

Offline Dakota Red

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 09:25:10 PM »
In open G one can also drop the lowest string to C, same deal.  Thumb-hook to get the low V or hit it open an octave up.

Offline LB

• Ga
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 07:51:31 AM »
Thanks folks, for the comments. I played around with this for past few days and eventually a bunch of Mance style stuff bubbled to the surface but I also worked this into a lot of the McTell drop D stuff. Very nice to be jolted back onto these things. So much to remember and keep herded into your playing.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 09:24:49 PM »
Hi all,
I was very surprised recently to see a video of Jack Owens on YouTube playing in A in dropped D tuning.  So much for the Bentonia sound!
All best,
Johnm

Offline frailer24

• Good Mornin', Judge
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 10:33:51 PM »
Interesting. I thought Mance Lipscomb was the only practicioner of that. It is quite useful, though.
That's all she wrote Mabel!

Offline zoner

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 04:51:23 AM »
Dave Van Ronk did a lovely version of "Jesus Met The Woman At The Well" in this tuning....

Offline MTJ3

• Howdy!
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2014, 09:24:31 PM »
I may be completely off base as I haven't listened to Larry Johnson's Blue Goose album for literally decades (so apologies if I am), but I believe he has one such piece on the album.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2015, 05:53:14 AM »
Hi all,
Here is the song that Jack Owens plays in A out of dropped-D tuning, cited earlier in this thread:

All best,
Johnm

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal