collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

The piece ended with one of the slide solos that only he could play - sure and skilled, sensitive and moving. If there wasn't to be more of Blind Willie Johnson's guitar and his voice, it would be difficult to think of a more fitting way for his music to fall silent - Blind Willie Johnson, last recording described by Sam Charters

Author Topic: Gayle Dean Wardlow Interviews- PART 6  (Read 813 times)

Offline Randy Meadows

• Randy Meadows
Gayle Dean Wardlow Interviews- PART 6
« on: May 09, 2016, 07:47:07 PM »
Just uploaded...
Gayle Dean Wardlow Interviews
Part 6 w/bonus

https://www.dropbox.com/s/64x5b0ska35c5nc/GDW%20Part%206%20bonus.mp4?dl=0
randymeadows@ymail.com
luvthatzeppelin on Youtube

Offline Blind Arthur

• Romancescam
Re: Gayle Dean Wardlow Interviews- PART 6
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 02:21:37 AM »
Thank you :) i find it fascinating to actually see a test pressing - and to see it played there :-o
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 02:37:17 AM by Blind Arthur »
You can´t trust your baby when the ice man comes hanging around :D

Offline Harry

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 07:05:46 AM »
I never knew they edited "Sweet Home Chicago". Maybe it's good news for us mere mortals that even Robert Johnson could make mistakes.

Offline Randy Meadows

• Randy Meadows
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 07:37:20 AM »
There is also a "forward" echo present on Sweet Home Chicago. You hear the faint echo first, and then you hear his real voice. I'm not sure how it was set up to create that effect. It's really strange to hear. It's almost as if it was recorded from a speaker in the next room....
randymeadows@ymail.com

Offline Randy Meadows

• Randy Meadows
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 08:04:57 AM »
randymeadows@ymail.com

Offline Tom Rushen

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 08:42:19 AM »
There is also a "forward" echo present on Sweet Home Chicago. You hear the faint echo first, and then you hear his real voice. I'm not sure how it was set up to create that effect. It's really strange to hear. It's almost as if it was recorded from a speaker in the next room....

Pre-echo is a well-known scientific phenomenon. Read an explanation (to the extent that it can be explained) here:

http://www.pressingvinyl.co.uk/index.php/2015/03/causes-pre-echo-groove-echo/

Offline oddenda

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 10:22:32 PM »
Basically, it's print through caused by storing recorded tapes heads out, rather than tails out. This may seem counter-intuitive, but I've experienced it before, back in the day. Quickly corrected the error of my ways!

peter b.

Offline Randy Meadows

• Randy Meadows
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 07:04:47 AM »
Thanks!
randymeadows@ymail.com

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2016, 07:36:05 AM »
I believe, regarding the forward echo, GDW is talking about original 78 recordings, not later tape transfers. No tapes were used in making 78s in the prewar era, as the technology did not exist, at least in production. They were made from a master molded from the original wax, what is known as a mechanical transfer. Tapes may very well have a forward echo of their own, but that's not what is happening with this recording. The link provided by Tom Rushen gives somewhat of an explanation of what causes it in recordings, i.e. cutting the grooves too close together in the original recording process. The groove being cut can only effect the previous cut groove causing a pre-echo, since the following groove obviously hasn't been cut yet.

Wax
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 07:40:42 AM by waxwing »
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline banjochris

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 12:01:33 PM »
I believe, regarding the forward echo, GDW is talking about original 78 recordings, not later tape transfers. No tapes were used in making 78s in the prewar era, as the technology did not exist, at least in production. They were made from a master molded from the original wax, what is known as a mechanical transfer. Tapes may very well have a forward echo of their own, but that's not what is happening with this recording. The link provided by Tom Rushen gives somewhat of an explanation of what causes it in recordings, i.e. cutting the grooves too close together in the original recording process. The groove being cut can only effect the previous cut groove causing a pre-echo, since the following groove obviously hasn't been cut yet.

The most pronounced example I know of on 78:

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2016, 08:49:57 PM »
Yeah, that is pretty clear, Chris. And seems pretty close to ? of a second ahead, or 60 secs/78 revs, representing one revolution.

Wax
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal