collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I'm goin' to Cincinnati, the times is good, I'm goin' to Cincinnati where they eat fried food. And I'm goin' to Cincinnati, boys, where the liquor bottle is good - Walter Coleman, I'm Gong To Cincinnati

Author Topic: jimmy lee williams  (Read 845 times)

Offline Bed Bug Bill

• Howdy!
jimmy lee williams
« on: March 28, 2014, 03:01:45 PM »
Just heard Jimmy Lee Williams for the first time.Liked it.Reminds me so much of one of my favs,
Smith Casey,or visa versa,from the Lomax Texas Prison Tapes.Maybe from the same area ?

Offline Laura

Re: jimmy lee williams
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 04:35:44 PM »
Wow. the couple of songs I found on YouTube are really great! I'm definitely going to get the CD. Thanks for the recommendation Bed Bug Bill.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 06:38:16 PM »
Hi Bedbug Bill,
Jimmy Lee was from Porlan, Georgia, discovered there by George Mitchell.  If you get his CD and listen to the whole thing, I think he'll seem much less like Smith Casey than he did just hearing one or two cuts by him.  His CD on Fat Possum is terrific, and I taught one of his pieces, "Have You Ever Seen Peaches" on the "Country Blues Guitar in Spanish and Vestapol Tunings" DVD that I did for Stefan Grossman's Guitar Workshop.  Jimmy Lee's original material is especially strong.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Laura

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 01:35:22 PM »
I'm on my 4th listen through of "Hoot Your Belly" since I downloaded from itunes this afternoon. It is a really, really nice album - weirdly I don't even register it's electric which for me is usually more than unpalatable.. I love his humming and actually his singing, too - which according to Google is undistinguished - what does Google know!  I'd love to know more about him.

Offline eric

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 01:52:29 PM »
Jimmy Lee's great! Here's a bump to couple of links:

Here's Jimmy hisself:

--
Eric

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 06:01:39 PM »
Hi all,
Here is a link to a review I wrote of "Hoot Your Belly!"  several years ago here.  http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=1666.0;all  .  The thread that follows the review has some interesting comments.
All best,
Johnm

Offline tinpanallygurl

• Howdy!
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 08:53:15 AM »
the mere mention of bedbugs make me want to scratch my self all over

Offline Bed Bug Bill

• Howdy!
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 06:19:38 AM »
Yes I seem,to have that effect on women....can't take any credit for it...........it's a gift.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal