collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Today, like every other day, we wake up empty and frightened. Don't open the door to the study and begin reading. Take down the dulcimer - Rumi

Author Topic: Shake sugaree - meaning of...?  (Read 68914 times)

Offline catyron

• Blues Lyrics and Hoodoo
Re: Shake sugaree - meaning of...?
« Reply #75 on: December 26, 2019, 07:52:40 PM »
How surprising to see people debate this. "Sugaree, Sugaree" in both black and white versions always refers to a person.

Shake can be shooting dice, but it is also a dance, the shimmy-shake, shake your totelo, shake it from the hips on down, shake, baby, shake. Shake is not dejected or poor. The meaning of shaking followed by pawning is, "We had a good time, but the money has run out."

Then, imagine my surprise when someone in this thread referred to a "brown pea shell" -- and no one responded with a correction! In case there is any doubt (and i can hardly believe there is) it's a ground pea shell. How do i know? Because i asked Elizabeth Cotton when she was in Berkeley, and she told me so. I didn't bother to ask what sugaree meant -- i already knew that, from the Marty Robbins song.

I see the ground pea shell as a little boat to carry a sleepy child into the sky, like Wynken, Blynken, and Nod. But at the same time i see the economic oppression of the goober farmers. It was a hard life, and poorly recompensed.

Ah, the lyrics game ... fun for all.

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal