collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Hound Dog came back with a rifle and said, "Hey, Brewer." And pointed the rifle--pow! Shot me right through the side. I said, "Hound Dog. What did you shoot me for?" And he shot me through this finger, and then he shot me through the shoulder. If that rifle hadn't jammed, he probably would have hurt me - Brewer Phillips, memories of Hound Dog Taylor in a Living Blues interview

Author Topic: Is there any LP compilation of Document's "Backwoods Blues"?  (Read 1557 times)

Offline arg6442

• Alex
This record was essentially my introduction to country blues, and now that I have a decent record playing setup going, I would really like an LP version of it, but I can't find it anywhere. I am wondering if there is any record that has the Discographies of Bo Weavil Jackson, King Solomon hill, Bobby Grant and Lane Hardin. It is probably a long shot, but still worth it to ask.

Thanks!
Wailin' and sailin', moving down that line.

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
Re: Is there any LP compilation of Document's "Backwoods Blues"?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 12:37:44 PM »
Coincidentally I saw this LP offered at my "local ebay" recently. Not exactly what you're looking for but probably the closest thing to it.

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 12:41:38 PM »
Big Bill Johnson is Big Bill Broonzy of course

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 01:50:24 PM »
http://www.musicstack.com/ has the one Harry posted for about $60 USD and there's one on eBay (UK) for $52 USD. (There's also one for $400) It's a 10" 1954 release that has eight songs.

I don't know if Document released a vinyl precursor to their "Backwoods Blues" CD. Perhaps one of our UK members would know.

Offline Adam Franklin

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 01:18:40 AM »
That's a great compilation!

I would say it was too late and too early (and too long) for a vinyl release. It came out in 1991. All of those tracks are most likely spread across several early Document lps.

Speaking as an avid, lifelong fan of vinyl, the old (mastered from) shellac stuff sounds no better on cd or vinyl. On 78 however, it's a different story. It's also a different story finding it. Another, far more complicated story affording it......

Adam.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 02:46:21 AM by Adam Franklin »

Offline EddieD

• How's she goin' b'y?
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 02:29:54 PM »
I love the compilation so much. I only recently heard it. I did not know who King Solomon Hill was and happened to hear one of his songs. I was hooked and tracked down the Document Records Backwoods Blues compilation. I was pleased to be introduced to Bo Weavil Jackson and Bobby Grant as well. I recently became a big fan of Cryin Sam Collins and Kokomo Arnold. Those two are not on the Backwoods Blues comp but I associate all these artists because I heard them all for the first time from Tom Feldmann's Masters of Bottleneck Blues lesson.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal