collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
He no longer had a guitar and he hadn't played much in twenty years, but when I asked him if he could still sing and play he straightened and said, "I'm better now than I ever was" - Sam Charters tracks down Furry Lewis in 1959, from Walking a Blues Road

Author Topic: Document CDs--availability, sound quality, etc.  (Read 40862 times)

Offline Reso1

Document CDs--availability, sound quality, etc.
« on: August 29, 2004, 10:16:53 AM »
Where can I find Sylvester Weaver, vol. one or two? Anybody have copies?

Thanks in advance!

Lee
« Last Edit: May 09, 2005, 12:14:00 PM by Johnm »
I must say that I find television very educational. The minute somebody turns it on, I go to the  library and read a book.

-Groucho Marx

Yves

Document CDs--availability, sound quality, etc.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2004, 11:43:49 PM »
I'm looking for - over than one year - Bo Carter's Documents vol 3 & 4
Who knows where I can get 'em - even used but in good condition
I tried many web sites but there are always out of stock !
HELP
Yves " the Froggy bluesman"
« Last Edit: April 23, 2005, 10:49:38 PM by Johnm »

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Re: Bo Carter - Documents CDs
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2004, 10:42:54 AM »
Document lists these CDs as out of stock... so used is your best bet.? Have you tried ordering used through Amazon.com?

http://s1.amazon.com/exec/varzea/preorder/new/B000000J4D/ref=sdp_po_u/102-9838049-3933746/102-9838049-3933746

Cheers,
slack
« Last Edit: April 24, 2005, 10:15:48 AM by Johnm »

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2004, 10:47:33 AM »
Also, if you order ANY items through Amazon.com - please consider starting your search from the "In Association with Amazon" banner on our Juke page - if you start your search by clicking on the banner - WeenieCampbell gets a couple-three percent as a referral fee - which helps offset the cost of running the website and Juke.? Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2005, 10:16:16 AM by Johnm »

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2004, 12:56:57 PM »
Have you tried Venerable Music?? The CDs are listed there, but you might want to float Malcolm an email, just to see if they're really in stock.

Yves

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2004, 11:31:00 PM »
venerable don't have 'em
amazon always told me that they will have 'em but nothing happened...
So long
Yves
« Last Edit: April 24, 2005, 10:17:16 AM by Johnm »

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2004, 05:49:50 AM »
Document seems to have more and more out of stock these days. Some real basics are going missing. And newly "remastered" versions are not taking their place. Frustrating.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2005, 10:17:39 AM by Johnm »

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2004, 08:44:18 AM »
I think they are "scheduled" to be remastered so they don't want to do a reissue of the existing version even tho' the remaster is a ways off, figuring they'll never sell the whole batch and then be forced to sell them off at cost and hurt sales of the remaster. It is frustrating. I picked up the Robert Petway stuff on an old Wolf issue from Quimper (score!). I'd been tryin' to get the Document for a while.
All for now.
John C.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2005, 10:20:25 AM by Johnm »
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2004, 08:56:59 AM »
The Petway is on one of their new ones, is it not? Mississippi Blues vol 3. In fact, I have it, new colour cover etc. It's not being redone again?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2005, 10:20:47 AM by Johnm »

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2004, 09:39:36 AM »
Yeah, well, the new one has been out of stock for some time, at least from the US distributor. Maybe I'll try another order direct from Document.
All for now.
John C.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2005, 10:21:10 AM by Johnm »
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2004, 10:40:10 AM »
I know I've seen this CD recently at Cheap Thrills here in Montreal both used and new. I bought mine there used. Check their webpage. Their catalog doesn't list their blues stuff or used stuff, but email them and they should respond as to whether they have it in stock. Used you'd be paying between $10 and 14 Canadian pesos.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2005, 10:21:36 AM by Johnm »

downthedirtroad

"Backwoods Blues" - Document Compilation CD
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2005, 06:22:58 PM »
Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone on this list has heard, or has heard of a cd put out by Document Records a number of years ago called "Backwoods Blues" (DOCD-5036) which is the only cd availible (to my knowledge) to contain all the known recordings of Bo Weavil Jackson and King Solomon Hill, along with Bobby Grant and Lane Hardin.  However, I have never seen it listed on ebay, all major record stores in my city (Toronto) claim that it is out of print, and it is no longer availible on amazon.com.

Would anyone on this list either A) have any insights on this cd, B) have an extra copy to sell, or C) have another way to purchase this cd?

It would be much appreciated, I have been looking for this cd for a number of months
Dave

-also, if anyone would have any insight into the works of blind willie davis, or anywhere where i could find his complete material, it would be greatly appreciated.

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
Re: "Backwoods Blues" - Document Compilation CD
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2005, 07:53:43 PM »
This is a great CD -- the only things it doesn't have are the 2 recently discovered King Solomon Hill tracks. You could try Document Records directly, or try www.rootsandrhythm.com, which still lists it as available. I've not used them before, but they've been around a while.
Chris

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2005, 05:49:33 AM »
I frequently order from Roots and Rhythm, and would recommend them.  They put out a great catalog, with honest and informative capsule reviews, which are also available online at their website.  By the way, the Document website http://document-records.com/ lists Backwoods Blues as being currently available.

Here's why I like to buy my blues CDs from Roots & Rhythm:  Back when internet retailing was in its infancy, I got in the habit of buying CDs online.  At the time I was buying a lot of pre-war blues from Georgia and the Carolinas.  One day I went to Amazon and put the three Document Barbecue Bob CDs in my shopping cart, and Amazon brought up a page that said "If you like Barbecue Bob, you may be interested in these other products we carry", and it listed 5 gas barbecue grills!  I  decided then and there that I'd rather deal with someone who knew and cared about the music. 

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2005, 07:14:00 AM »
I went to Amazon and put the three Document Barbecue Bob CDs in my shopping cart, and Amazon brought up a page that said "If you like Barbecue Bob, you may be interested in these other products we carry", and it listed 5 gas barbecue grills!? I? decided then and there that I'd rather deal with someone who knew and cared about the music.?

And cares about barbecue. Gas grills? Ptooie...
« Last Edit: April 17, 2005, 05:49:49 PM by Johnm »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal