collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
You can't make no money layin' straight these days - Bo Carter, Doubled Up In a Knot

Author Topic: Roger Hubbard showcase  (Read 1091 times)

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
Roger Hubbard showcase
« on: April 21, 2010, 01:59:43 AM »
Roger Hubbard just called at my house to tell me about a short film shot by a professional film-maker when he was playing in Brighton. It shows snippets of various numbers on different guitars - including a far-eastern dobro copy that Roger found at a boot sale for ?8 minus a headstock. He has made a new slotted headstock for it and it now sounds quite respectable. The film is a fair representation of what to expect if you see Roger live these days. Maybe some American Weenies will get him over the pond for a tour?

"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
Re: Roger Hubbard showcase
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 03:41:47 AM »
Certainly shows Roger's versatility. He's got such a nice touch.

Offline Blue in VT

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 06:59:41 AM »
GREAT!!! thanks for sharing that...I was kust listening to Roger last night and wondering if he was still active.  I have to say sometime I'm quite jealous of you folks on the other side of the pond...there seems to be a lot of wonderful perfomers over there these days!

Cheers,

Blue
Blue in VT

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 08:05:37 AM »
I have to say sometime I'm quite jealous of you folks on the other side of the pond...there seems to be a lot of wonderful perfomers over there these days!

I have to agree with you there, Blue - and Roger is one of the best. In fact he's the most naturally talented musician I've ever encountered. Having said that, he's also the most modest and so laid-back he hardly ever asks for a gig, but just waits for people to track him down! That short film is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of his musical ability. For example, when he arrived this morning he said he'd been playing a Beach Boys song on the piano, because it was "good finger exercise"! As I've mentioned on these pages before, apart from his obvious technical expertise and the ability to make it all look very easy, he has a genuine feeling and sensitivity for country blues that I've rarely seen in anyone else - whatever their nationality and ethnic origins.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Tags: Roger Hubbard 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal