collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Here she comes! The Black Diamond Express to Hell with Sin the Engineer holding the throttle wide open; Pleasure is the headlight, and the devil is the conductor. You can feel the roaring of the express and the moanin' of the drunkards, liars, gamblers and other folk who have got aboard. They are hell-bound and they don't want to go. The train makes eleven stops but nobody can get off - Vocalion advertisement for Rev. A.W. Nix's 1927 recording Black Diamond Express to Hell

Author Topic: where else on the interwebs...  (Read 12081 times)

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
Re: where else on the interwebs...
« Reply #120 on: March 13, 2015, 09:26:58 AM »
Excellent Frank!
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #121 on: March 13, 2015, 09:28:55 AM »
Yes indeed!

Offline nobocaster

• Hot Dog!
« Reply #122 on: March 13, 2015, 01:59:45 PM »
Dig it!

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #123 on: March 13, 2015, 02:04:24 PM »
That is spiffissimo, Frank!

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #125 on: April 04, 2015, 02:32:25 PM »
Again - of tangential interest in the weenieverse:

I likes it, though... Roscoe!

Offline Lastfirstface

« Reply #126 on: April 04, 2015, 08:06:06 PM »
Very cool. Are you picking the melody with your finger, your thumb, or switching back and forth like Roscoe?

Pete

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #127 on: April 04, 2015, 08:34:52 PM »
Love it!
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #128 on: April 05, 2015, 05:28:37 AM »
thanks, fellas.  Pete, I'm alternating lead between thumb and index. One interesting thing about this song is that the main rhythm lick - where the melody comes to rest between verses - is played with the index leading on the 2nd string...  most times, Roscoe seems to lead with the index when the melody crosses over to the 1st string. Interesting to hear him do it differently here. I think he uses the same approach on his "Sitting On Top Of The World" too.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #129 on: April 05, 2015, 09:40:57 AM »
I sure like that, Frank.  I love that calypso-y time stroke, between the vocal phrases.  Where does that stuff come from?  I know Roscoe did it, but I guess I mean it's not a rhythm you expect to hear coming out of East Kentucky.  I sure like those held high notes in the vocal at the beginning of each verse.
All best,
Johnm

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #130 on: April 05, 2015, 04:48:38 PM »
Thanks, John -  I know what you mean about the time stroke. If you listen to a lot of his banjo songs that are picked in a thumb lead style, you'll hear that stroke whenever the melody drifts up to the 1st string. It seems like the prevailing wisdom is that he plays those notes on the 1st string with his thumb, but I don't hear that at all.

Who knows how he came up with it, but when I broke it down, I realized that the net result allows the thumb to keep up a constant 5th string time stroke on the 2 and 4 beats, consistent with how the thumb would treat the 5th string if the thumb were still doing the lead. Kinda clever.

Offline Lastfirstface

« Reply #131 on: April 07, 2015, 09:27:47 AM »
Thanks for the explanation. I think George Landers used a similar pattern sometimes where he'd pluck the melody note with his index and then pinch the first and fifth string simultaneously with his index and thumb, which puts the drone string note at the same place in the bar as thumb-lead playing.

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #132 on: April 07, 2015, 04:34:09 PM »
I'll go back and listen to George Landers. I don't think I hear RH doing a pinch during his index-lead moments. More like the attached tab - the index plays the first melody note with the index on beat 1, followed by the thumb on beat 2. Then the index on the "+" of beat 2 and the "+" of beat 3, followed with the thumb on beat 4.

When he leads with his thumb, you do hear the pinch being used, that's for sure.

Offline Lastfirstface

« Reply #133 on: April 08, 2015, 01:19:34 PM »
Thanks for the tab, that clears up what you were referring to. I didn't mean to suggest that George Landers style was much like RH's playing, I was just thinking about how the pinch lick that he used intermittently moved the thumb string note to a different part of the bar than his other picking patterns, which were more analogous to clawhammer in their placement of the drone note.

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #134 on: April 08, 2015, 03:51:12 PM »
I see what you mean - Hayes Shepherd kinda does the same thing in the context of his index-lead playing. It's interesting that when RH has to switch to index-lead, he does so in a way that maintains that thumb stroke in the same place relative to the pulse, in contrast to George Landers and Hayes Shepherd.

5-string banjo...  there really is no particular way to play the mamlish thing...

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal