collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
My mama's gettin' old, hair is turnin' gray, you know it'd break her heart knowin' I'm livin' this-a-way - Charlie Patton, Screamin' and Hollerin' the Blues

Author Topic: Smoky Babe Hottest Brand Goin  (Read 1043 times)

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
Smoky Babe Hottest Brand Goin
« on: November 30, 2011, 09:34:09 PM »
I just received a new copy of this necessary record on CD
From Amazon for $6.50 and there are more copies to be had.
An almost perfect record IMHO a must have!
Get 'em while they got'em!
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: Smoky Babe Hottest Brand Goin
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 10:00:22 PM »
Wear yours out, Mr. O'M?

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 10:36:50 PM »
I have the lp but have been having some recurring turntable problems of late and also wanted to have it in digital form for iPods and such.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline unezrider

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 11:06:20 PM »
hello friend,
actually, a lot of the prestige/obc stuff is pretty reasonable on amazon. specially if your cool with grabbing something used. (i know because i went through a spell this past summer where i felt the need to own as much stuff from that label as possible.  :D including the above mentioned disc.)
"Be good, & you will be lonesome." -Mark Twain

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 01:53:23 AM »
I actually remember buying that outstanding LP. I was an occasional visitor to Flyright Records and the late Simon Napier recommended that album to me. I seem to remember it was reduced to 99p or ?1.99. What a recommendation! I never get tired of the outstanding playing and singing. Every true country blues fan that I played the record to has been blown away by it.

It's the real thing - not a recording star in a recording studio, but just some guy in his home playing for the hell of it.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 08:17:00 AM »

Great coincidence for this thread, just last week I went back to messing around with Smoky's Boogie Woogie Rag, which JohnM taught at a past PT workshop. I know it's a cliche, but every time I go back to it I hear another level. The thing I'm always struck by is the way he goes back-and-forth between straight time and swung time--you're right, Muckster, no one swung harder in country blues.

Another reason I revisited it was one of those wake-up-in-the-morning-and-the-first-thought-is "I gotta learn that song" experiences, in this case Smoky's version of Baby Please Don't Go, which is another little masterpiece.

Man, to think of Smoky Babe and Robert Pete Williams being in the same neighborhood, or having some kind of in-person connection a la Country Negro Jam Session on Arhoolie . . .

L

Offline Vidal

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 12:41:46 PM »
I've still to get this album, and get it I will as I can't believe how good his Louisiana Country Blues album is.  I stated earlier that I can't believe I have went several decades without knowing about this guy. For me, a great find and an absolute delight. In a similar vein, I just recently discovered Dan Pickett, whose 1949 Country Blues album, in general, and 99 1/2 Won't Do track, in particular, is sensational.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 12:52:43 PM »
In a similar vein, I just recently discovered Dan Pickett, whose 1949 Country Blues album, in general, and 99 1/2 Won't Do track, in particular, is sensational.
Check out http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=2623.0

Offline Vidal

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 01:01:22 PM »
Yeah, I read that - but only after I had bought his album - an excellent piece.

Offline oddenda

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 06:24:13 PM »
Vidal -

The Dan Pickett (born James Founty) is a collection of 78s from the Gotham label in Phildelphia! He was from Alabama.

Peter B.

Tags: Smoky Babe 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal