collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
The piece ended with one of the slide solos that only he could play - sure and skilled, sensitive and moving. If there wasn't to be more of Blind Willie Johnson's guitar and his voice, it would be difficult to think of a more fitting way for his music to fall silent - Blind Willie Johnson, last recording described by Sam Charters

Author Topic: Same Old Song: Private Equity Is Destroying Our Music Ecosystem  (Read 235 times)

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
A "gifted" article from the NY Times. It doesn't have much to do with the music we focus on here, however as I read through it I kept thinking, "The more things change..."

https://tinyurl.com/374urns7

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Re: Same Old Song: Private Equity Is Destroying Our Music Ecosystem
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2024, 05:13:41 PM »
Thanks for posting that, it's a great article.
As you say, and to paraphrase, "same shit, different decade".

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2024, 08:02:23 PM »
Agreed, but I also want to point out that there *is* new and original music out there, but accessing it requires some research and exploring and time investment.

People don't think twice about changing TV channels to watch different shows, but they tend to avoid searching out different radio stations and streaming services from all over the world. There's exciting new music and creative old music to be found. We can find them, bookmark them, and access them on demand. Lots of online streaming services let you listen to a saved program if you missed the live streaming version. We didn't have that when I was a boy.

I really wish we could have more commercial radio stations or non-coms like KEXP and WWOZ that are willing to give new artists airplay. But we don't. If we want to push back against the greed of private equity in the music biz, it's important to check out the university, high school, personal hobby and non-commercial stations we have access to and see what they have to offer. There's a bunch of websites with DJs who produce shows in their home studios in different parts of the country and feed them to a central location for "broadcast"--no real central geographic location. Check out mundosalsaradio.com.

Another example that we're already familiar with: https://sundayblues.org/. Bookmark it.

There used to be a great little streaming service called Weenie something. We don't have access to it anymore, but that's the model I'm talking about. We have access to a lot of interesting stuff.

L
« Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 08:07:39 PM by lindy »

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2024, 10:09:24 AM »
Excellent points, Lindy. KBCS in Bellevue, WA has a wide range of programming produced by volunteers.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal