collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
The old expression says, 'simplicity is only the absence of clutter', it's not a substance. That's all, right?... The timing's harder. The less notes you play, the harder the timing. When you're playing quick it's just eighth notes so they're all even. Syncopation is created from the space - Jerry Ricks, Port Townsend 97

Author Topic: YouTube.com - Interesting Country Blues related video clips  (Read 254195 times)

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: YouTube.com - Interesting Country Blues related video clips
« Reply #1080 on: June 27, 2014, 08:07:19 PM »
Cool find!

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #1081 on: June 28, 2014, 04:00:19 AM »
Cool find!

Thanks Uncle Bud.
I wish someone could confirm that the guitar player on the film really is Dunbar, though. As I've watched the video again and again, I suspect that the audio might come from a different source, and that it might have been added to the film later on. I'll edit my post accordingly and keep you updated, if I find out anything more.

Cheers

Pan
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 04:04:55 AM by Pan »

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #1082 on: June 28, 2014, 04:34:03 AM »
Thanks Uncle Bud.
I wish someone could confirm that the guitar player on the film really is Dunbar, though. As I've watched the video again and again, I suspect that the audio might come from a different source, and that it might have been added to the film later on. I'll edit my post accordingly and keep you updated, if I find out anything more.
Cheers
Pan
For what it's worth pages 52-62 (Good Times) of Been Here and Gone by Fred Ramsay (Cassell, 1960) there are "stills" of this event which took place at Horace Sprott's front porch. I'm guessing it's Sprott, but couldn't swear to it. Several photos of the dancer including one of her and guitarist (Sprott?) next to those steps of the shack (p.60).

The book was republished and expanded not that long ago so you may be able to google a view.

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #1083 on: June 28, 2014, 05:01:28 AM »
For what it's worth pages 52-62 (Good Times) of Been Here and Gone by Fred Ramsay (Cassell, 1960) there are "stills" of this event which took place at Horace Sprott's front porch. I'm guessing it's Sprott, but couldn't swear to it. Several photos of the dancer including one of her and guitarist (Sprott?) next to those steps of the shack (p.60).

I was just looking at that book and came to the same conclusion, Bunker Hill...  the picture is taken from at what Ramsey describes as Sprott's back porch, after the music and dancing is starting to break up in the late afternoon. The guitarist is identified as Ramsey identifies the guitarist as Philip Ramsey, Sr. and the dancer goes unnamed, although she appears in a couple of pictures dancing with Philip Ramsey, Jr.

The pics from Scott Dunbar's house are very different and while the music in the video is definitely Dunbar's, the film footage is not.

Still an amazing find, and it would definitely seem that the film footage was at least shot as part of the the same trip, if not shot by Frederic Ramsey himself. That clip has been on youtube since 2010...  and seems to be part of a documentary of some kind?

Offline bnemerov

« Reply #1084 on: June 28, 2014, 05:07:27 AM »
Did anyone else think the snippet of narrator voice-over at the end of the clip sounds familiar?
Studs Terkel?
best,
bruce

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #1085 on: June 28, 2014, 05:07:45 AM »
another pic

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #1086 on: June 28, 2014, 05:16:40 AM »
and another...

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #1087 on: June 28, 2014, 05:19:54 AM »
and anudder...

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #1088 on: June 28, 2014, 05:31:29 AM »
Thanks, Bunker Hill and Frankie!

Great pictures too, Frankie.

Cheers

Pan

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #1089 on: June 28, 2014, 05:36:12 AM »
Did anyone else think the snippet of narrator voice-over at the end of the clip sounds familiar?
Studs Terkel?

Not sure, but a number of years ago, someone had posted some videos of Butch Cage and Willie Thomas at the Newport Folk Festival, with a voiceover at the beginning of 44 blues that I swear was done by the same person. The videos were removed pretty quickly...

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #1090 on: June 28, 2014, 07:50:49 AM »
I think the dancing footage may have been an outtake from this film which begins with a short snippet of Scott Dunbar. Interesting film, same narrator, though not much else of direct blues interest:
http://www.teachrock.org/resources/video/abc-news-anatomy-of-pop-1966/

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #1091 on: June 28, 2014, 09:32:04 AM »
now THAT was Scott Dunbar!!!!!!!! Sakes alive!!! Where is the rest of THAT?!?!?!

Offline bnemerov

« Reply #1092 on: June 28, 2014, 10:10:20 AM »
Hi Prof.
I'd say that the Dunbar footage preexisted and was licensed from Fred R.---he gets a credit at the end of the ABC piece (I hope he got paid as well).
But the dancing footage, (also shot by Ramsay?) has a different voice over at the end....I'm almost certain it's the distinctive cadence of Studs Terkel. There are some nice recordings of him interviewing Big Bill for comparison.
So, to rephrase Frankie's question: Assuming we've got two different documentaries, where is the one narrated by Studs (and with Cage and Thomas as well?). It should be more focused and down-home than the one by ABC News.
best,
bruce

P.S. Don't get me wrong, Prof. Plenty of great stuff in the ABC doc (I don't know how you found it)....James Jamerson, the greatest of the bassists, is shown in the Motown footage; Blind Pig Robbins on piano in the Nashville studio scene and Tony Bennett singing anything! Thanks
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 10:20:36 AM by bnemerov »

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #1093 on: June 28, 2014, 03:07:56 PM »
Yes Bruce, the Scott Dunbar footage is undoubtedly from Fred R. Announcer could be Studs, but I wouldn't be 100%. sure....sounds a bit like the March of Time guy to me...but then I do keep a hearing aid in the kitchen drawer!

Sent from my HUAWEI MT1-U06 using Tapatalk

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #1094 on: June 28, 2014, 06:37:13 PM »
Studs Terkel?
best,
bruce

It does sound familiar but I don't think it sounds like Studs after comparing with the Broonzy interviews. This narrator has a bit deeper voice.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal