collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Gonna put you in the river see if you can't drown, tie a rock around your neck and see if that'll keep you down - Casey Bill Weldon, No Good Woman 1937

Author Topic: Geeshie Wiley's Last Kind Words  (Read 43122 times)

Offline Cambio

• Howdy!
Re: Geeshie Wiley's Last Kind Words
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2004, 06:26:01 AM »
I'm not going to argue with you Frank, despite your attempts at baiting.
I did want to add though (back to the beaujolais/ bolted meal discussion) that while listening to Memphis Minnie's "Bake my Biscuits" one of the lines is:

Ain't got no flour
Ain't got no meal
Ain't got no man
You got to rob and steal.

I should also add that, at Clifftop, Frank and Kim presented me with a very special bottle of Geeshie Wiley's Boosholee.  Just to rub a little salt in the wound (Ouch!).  I haven't drank it yet.  I'm waiting for a special occasion.  Maybe that will be running out of booze.

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2004, 06:52:35 AM »
I'm not going to argue with you Frank, despite your attempts at baiting.

Oh, drat.

I did want to add though (back to the beaujolais/ bolted meal discussion) that while listening to Memphis Minnie's "Bake my Biscuits" one of the lines is:

Ain't got no flour
Ain't got no meal
Ain't got no man
You got to rob and steal.

Good example - flour does seem to be high on the radar screen for country blues musicians.

Frank and Kim presented me with a very special bottle of Geeshie Wiley's Boosholee.? Just to rub a little salt in the wound (Ouch!).? I haven't drank it yet.? I'm waiting for a special occasion.? Maybe that will be running out of booze.

Drinking it would certainly take the edge off the sting!

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2004, 07:49:48 AM »
I can't believe nary one of you curmudgeons isn't going to call me on the carpet about this...? amazing!

Don't worry, we're all snickering behind your back. :P

?
V3 (If I get killed, if I get killed, please don't bury my soul) - GW

I don't buy it, why would Geechie be predicting her own death for unknown reasons?? It's the lover who is in "harms way" (to borrow a modern phrase).? You explanation is a reach.

V4 (When you see me comin' look 'cross the rich man's field) - GW

I don't buy it, it is the Lover that is returning home (hopefully), Geechie ain't going nowhere... she's staying home. In that day and time, women stayed home.? The context is a homecoming and you have a big celebration, you celebrate with a big meal (flour and meal) - like a Thanksgiving.? Geechie would not bring her Lover flour and meal, becausue in that day and time, women did the cooking.

Are you happy now??;D

Cheers,
slack
« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 03:30:53 PM by Johnm »

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2004, 08:21:36 AM »
Don't worry, we're all snickering behind your back. :P

I figured as much...? damn weenies!

Geechie would not bring her Lover flour and meal, becausue in that day and time, women did the cooking.

Hah!? In that day and time, women did everything!

Are you happy now??;D

Of course - I'll be on vacation tomorrow!

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Last Kind words
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2004, 10:09:29 AM »
This is a great thread re-awakening, I think.  In this corner, we have Frankie "Spoiling for a Fight" Basile, taking on all comers.   All right, in the seventh verse, I think the narrative voice actually switches to that of Elvie Thomas--and I can prove it!
All best,
Johnm 

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2004, 10:36:15 AM »
I'll take up the beaujolais theory if it means I get free wine...

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
Re: Last Kind words
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2004, 11:51:44 AM »
All right, in the seventh verse, I think the narrative voice actually switches to that of Elvie Thomas--and I can prove it!

A hardcore feminist interpretation?  I'm all ears!

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2004, 12:15:37 PM »
Sorry to disappoint, Frank.  I've got nothing, just thought I would join in the spirit of combative bull-shitting.  It could be, though!
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2004, 08:06:58 PM »
Sorry all, sometimes the attempts at humor just lay there--not my finest hour.  In fact, I think in the verse referring to "coming across the rich man's field", it is Geechie's voice speaking, the implication being that because she works for the rich man, she has access to provisions like flour and bolted meal which she can bring home to prepare a great meal for her lover.  I have never heard of a Blues lyric in which a man talked about the provisions he was going to be able to bring home from his job, more often he brags about the provisions his lover brings from her job.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2004, 08:14:41 PM »
No need John - I know I took it as humor -- and not just because you re-enforced my position! :P

Last Kind Words has been a lot of fun over the years - the most sublime blues poetry, IMO.  And I won't even mention that for awhile I kept thinking "daddy" meant her father was going off to war!

cheers,
slack

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2004, 08:20:32 PM »
I knew you were kidding, John...  although I *was* looking forward to some sort of textual analysis that would show that it was Elvie Thomas that was going off to war... <g>

Yves

« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2004, 09:31:20 PM »
Beaujolais !
I have heard this song but obvisouly I can't imagine a blues singer - is it a record from 30' ? - talking about Beaujolais !
This wine began popular in France in the 60'. Before it was a very confidential local wine. No way to compare to Burgundy or Bordeaux wines known all over the world for decades.
During the "German war" - wasn't it the World war I ? soldiers use to drink awfull wine called "piquette" a 10? red wine I'm sure you will never accept to taste !
The Beaujolais area is located far away from the place where they were fighted. How to go there ? Don't forget that they had no means of transport by this time excepted the train.?
Even if they had a few days off soldiers were more interested to meet women that tasting Beaujolais !?

Beaujolais became popular in France when introducing the "Beaujolais nouveau" on the market ... late 60' ? this is an excellent marketing concept ... is it good wine ?
The taste is the same every year - rapsberry / strawberry ... bananas (taste of enzymes used)

As far as I am concerned I would go back to the song and follow a different route...
Nevertheless I will investigate if they are any historical possibility that he talks about Beaujolais wine and let you know
Hope it will be helpfull to understand the lyrics of this song... even the "Beaujolais wines"

Yves "the froggy bluesman"
« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 03:35:08 PM by Johnm »

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2004, 10:18:04 AM »
Hi Yves!

I have heard this song but obvisouly I can't imagine a blues singer - is it a record from 30' ? - talking about Beaujolais !

You are not alone.  ;D

I take it from your "froggy bluesman" sig and your knowledge of wines that you are from France?  Where are you located now?

Cheers,
slack

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2004, 09:57:11 PM »
Frank wrote:

When you see me comin' look 'cross the rich man's field
If I don't bring you flour I'll bring you bolted meal

This line is clearly sung from GW's perspective.? Certainly the guy of the two preceding verses could not be responsible for such a tender sentiment...? She will clearly do anything she can to keep her man happy, including stealing the best food she can from the house of her employer.

I think it's the guy talking about his own ghost coming around if and when he has become buzzard food. See it's all conditional tense, 'IF I...', 'IF you...'. Fits in with the ghostly vibe of the whole thing but more telling is it also fits with Geeshie's similar moment later when she plays around with future visions of seeing her own face on the other side of the river. The song's about seeing and predicting the future and is generally crawling with ghosts and the supernatural.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 03:37:05 PM by Johnm »

Offline Bill Roggensack

• Not dead yet!
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2004, 04:59:10 PM »
The song's about seeing and predicting the future and is generally crawling with ghosts and the supernatural.

Mark - I think you've hit the nail on the head. Or the spook on it's sheet. You have accurately described the feeling I get every time I listen to this song.
Cheers,
FrontPage

Tags: Geeshie Wiley 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal